Why Has Atmospheric Lighting & Effects Been Toned Down?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jun 10, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

One thing I’ve missed from GWE (but has thankfully been retained) is the atmospheric & vibrant looking sunrises and sunsets. The haze rolling over in the distance adds that atmospheric look, along with the large looking sun. You’d even get the sky turning pink on certain occasions, depending on season and weather conditions.

I’ve noticed GWE was unique in its lighting, as pretty much all other routes seemed to have ‘dulled down’ in their lighting, making it look more bland and dull looking.

Below is a comparison of GWE and London to Brighton. Both set at the exact same times, under the same weather conditions and month setting. Notice on BML there’s is zero haze, with everything looking dark and black in the distance.

My request would be to be able to toggle the amount of haze via a setting. Fog does not give off the same effect, before anyone suggests that I just adjust that. I’d also like it for these vibrant looking skies to make a reappearance, as it makes for a wonderful looking scene and experience.

7696D605-01B1-458C-B5F6-09308BA26AE1.jpg C174B21E-71C7-4E4A-BA75-361A1B529701.jpg

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The lighting on GWE, apart from Paddington and Reading is very good. It helps make the route more realistic in terms of graphical quality too.

3. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I remember 'The British Ace' saying on one of his streams that the best sunsets were always on the GWE route. I am looking forward to the GWE updates being released but at the same time disappointed they never did anything more with such an iconic route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

The BML screenshot looks better to me. The fog in the GWE screenshot doesn't make sense and looks very artificial. The BML screenshot has better contrast between the horizon and the skyline.

Cheers

5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Until you mentioned it I never noticed but wow, GWE looks so much better with haze. God I love that route & agree with above, I wish they did more with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Memories...

I always love you initiatives (and mods) londonmidland

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Very evident in that first shot is the black tar effect across the ground, in the middle distance onward which IMHO is one of the biggest visual detractions in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  8. londonmidland

Doesn't it just! They should use haze more often. Not only does it look beautiful, but it also helps hides any poor distant scenery, as well as makes the world ‘feel’ bigger.

• Like Like x 2
  9. londonmidland

I think that is to do with the old lighting system they used and/or TSW’s shadow limitations. I don’t think the haze itself causes this.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It seems at the expense of the preservation update, the brilliant lighting on GWE is now gone. I do enjoy the new skybox on GWE, but I agree we have lost something with the unique look this route had in the early mornings / late afternoons