Northeast Corridor Nyc-phl Updated

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by John Murphy, Jun 1, 2018.

?
  1. An NJT Train

60.0%
  2. Acela Express

50.0%
  3. Freight Equipment

55.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah DTG, I'm sure you saw this one coming when you revealed your plans to update and extend the PDL. The original NEC route is another route that is in desperate need of a facelift and possible extension (maybe to Wilmington or Baltimore). And please...please...please do not make it an extension to the NJT routes if you decide to do it. Adding the Morristown Line screwed the NJCL up enough as it is. The NEC would just kill it completely. If you make an updated NEC, please make it a standalone route. The Acela, ACS, and Amfleets are good enough as they are, although I would try to make an updated AEM7 for the route. I would go one of 3 ways for trains included.
    1: An AEM7 with Amfleets, updated with working cab signals and possibly better sounds (which would be hard to get seeing as Septa is the only current operator of AEM7s and we know they haven't been friendly when it comes to TS) along with the Acela or an NJT train (which would be an ALP46 with Multilevels).
    2: An ACS64 with Amfleets and the Acela or an NJT train.
    3: An ACS64 or AEM7 with Amfleets and either a CSX or NS GP38 with freight cars, providing there is an inclusion of freight areas and scenarios that utilize them.

One big thing that also needs to happen is a signal revamp, so that the in cab ATC and ACSES systems of the ACS64, NJT trains, and possible reworked AEM7 could actually work correctly and provide a more realistic driving experience.

Also when making Quick Drive templates, please refer to Amtrak schedules to see where the majority of Northeast Regional and Acela trains stop. Most Acelas don't stop at Trenton and not every Regional stops at Newark Airport. You must understand how tedious it was for me to go into the original NEC route and make all these custom templates, so I could accurately simulate scheduled runs (and also because the default templates for the original NEC route are completely broken). Here's what I think the Quick Drive templates should be.
    For Regionals: A fast run between Philly and NYC with intermediate stops at Newark Penn, Metropark, and Trenton, staying on the inner express track most of the way and only switching to the outer local track for the stops at Metropark and Trenton.
    For the Acela: Philly to NYC stopping at Newark Penn, Metropark, and running nonstop between Metropark and Philly. Again, only switching to the local tracks at Metropark.
    For NJT trains: A run between Trenton and New York Penn making all local stops along the way except Jersey Avenue, since that is a terminating station only. Trains would stay on the outer local tracks for the whole run. You can still include Jersey Avenue as an originating/terminating point, but not as an intermediate stop for trains going to and from Trenton.
    For Freight (if it's included): A run on the southern portion of the route between Frankford Jct in Philly as far as Morrisville, which is the interlocking on the Pennsylvania side just before the bridge across the Delaware River into New Jersey. Another option could be possibly Princeton Jct to Oak Island Yard.

I really hope that you'll consider this if the updated PDL works out, because this is something people have been asking for ever since the original NJCL came out.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Sort of made a proposal for this already. Though yours is based more from an operational standpoint. But I agree. The route screams to be done over/properly. If they don’t wanna actually do that route over, they could, at the very least, improve and smooth out the gradient changes in the tracks, update the stations. Some of which are quite off, particularly New Brunswick, as the platform roofing is too low, and isn’t leveled. Then there’s are stations with platforms that do not level with the doors of the trains.

Now with that being said, with a revamp, could also spur out some extensions, possibly to Washington DC, or if they don’t wanna go south, they could go west to Harrisburg along the Keystone Corridor, which would be cool and would hopefully spawn the long neglect Amfleet Cab car for Amtrak push-pull operations.

Scenery-wise, what was done in the NJCL NEC section was just so beautifully done and even that route, to me begged to be extended further south of Rahway. I have a feeling they may consider doing it. being that they seem to be on the trend of revamping old content, which doesn't bother me. As long as something substantial comes along with it.

But the current NEC is starting to feel a lot like a ported MSTS route with slightly better fidelity. Really showing it's age. Here's hoping they have taken our proposals into consideration.

• Like Like x 4
  3. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

That does sound really good. Yeah, the NEC route seriously needs some attention, but as far as an extension, I think that would be a little too much for most people's machines. I really wouldn't want them to make it an extension of the current NJT routes, that's for sure. Plus, Philly to Harrisburg or Philly to Washington are long enough to be their own routes. I also agree with you however, that a Keystone ex Metroliner cab car needs to be made. Yeah, New Brunswick's roof is annoying. Also Jersey Avenue has a high level platform (instead of a low level platform like IRL), and the North Elizabeth station is missing the road bridge over it. They did get that part right in the NJCL route though.

4. muertedechurra

muertedechurra New Member

I couldn't agree more. The northeast corridor is in dire need of an update. To me it looks outdated compared to other routes. Plus the catenary wires are not even touching the masts. There just levitating!

• Like Like x 2