Make Freight More Interesting

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by OnlyMe1909, Jun 7, 2022.

1. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Almost all of the freight services in TSW2 are just taking freight from point a to b. I think back to the old days of MSTS (or was it Trainz, I'm not sure) where you could take freight wagons to industries and load/unload them. That made freight services much more interesting than just hauling from a to b. Can DTG look into possibily of making fright more interactive?

• Like Like x 8
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There seems to be an issue with the way that timetable mode especially deals with multiple instructions, ie "go from here to there, do this, turn round, go back where you came from" which seems to be why you end up with a lot of "go from here to here" and then nothing...
    Scenarios seem not to have this issue as much but then DTG have also said that they don't focus on UK freight as much because in their polls of who wants what the majority of UK people have said they want fast passenger routes... This does seem to be bourn out by the suggestions we get on this forum

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Some actual yard switching scenarios would be fantastic. The old Microsoft Train Simulator BNSF Marias Pass and Cajon Pass routes had plenty of yard switching jobs. Trainz has some routes with extensive yards and there are plenty of industries to transport goods to and from. TSW2 needs more features like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Are you trying to have the 363 Shunting services to main line freight services seen on Ruhr-Sieg Nord more common? If so then it can be tested on Riesa-Dresden where MRCE 185.5 drops off Tankers at the Nünchritz Chemical Plant to have the 363 load them then recouple with 185.5. So is the Coswig and Dresden Gbf

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Even better, follow Run 8’s example where you drop cars off for loading or unloading on a siding. After a pre-determined real time the operation is complete and you pick them up with the local freight, take them back to the yard for sorting/humping into outgoing road trains. Sadly I have a feeling this sort of intricate and not particularly quick style of gameplay may not fit comfortably with DTG’s paradigm of what they consider interesting. However much better than pointless A to B straight runs which might as well be a passenger service, or even more pointless shuffling wagons round a yard but that’s it, doesn’t lead into s follow up activity.

6. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with DTG's approach toward UK freight, if a route has freight on it then the experience should be as good as the passenger one where realistically possible. Tees Valley still has the best UK freight experience, we need more routes with experiences like that.

Passenger and freight should be treated equally and have the same amount of effort put into each other.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You're not going to get any argument from me, and indeed I commented direct to the person who did the Brighton Mainline timetable that the freight was woeful and even left out a very interesting run around maneuver at Haywards Heath, but apparently they ran out of time doing over 1000 passenger runs, most of which are repeats...