Just Trains: Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by londonmidland, Jun 13, 2022.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Seeing as we’re now in the ‘quiet time’ for releases, I thought this would be a good opportunity to have a bit of speculation about what Just Trains could be working on in the meantime.

They announced that they were working on TSW content around Christmas. Hopefully we’ll get an announcement and/or release by the end of the year.

What do you think they’re making and when do you think they’ll release it?

Personally, I’d like to see them be the first developers to build routes in stages and join them up via extensions, as they do for TSC with their MML routes. However, that’s wishful thinking I think.

Given that this will be their first TSW DLC, I reckon it’ll be a loco/train DLC, such as a DMU or EMU of some sort for an existing route. My guess it’ll be an EMU for Glasgow Cathcart Circle. Either the Class 380, Class 320 or 318.

What are your guys thoughts?

• Like Like x 4
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I don't see why they would move away from what they've been working on in TSC, but do the same in TSW so maybe a short Midlands section of the MML with a relevant loco or MU?

• Like Like x 1
  3. euaningarfill

euaningarfill Active Member

Or you lot could just wait and see if they are even making anything
    You will probably find yhat the first dlc if they do produce any will be not as good

• Like Like x 1
  4. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Me too. I’d love to see a Western Mainline route like Bristol to Exeter or better still Exeter to Plymouth with the scenery coastal stretch between Dawlish to Teignmouth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. euaningarfill

Yeah way to long

6. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

It's hard to say, I think they are personally going to do a loco DLC, if anything. Seems better to try and get your head around the SimuGraph etc than making a route.

• Like Like x 2
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sure we already had this discussion.

My smart money is on Bristol local (Weston, Severn Beach, Bristol Parkway), especially as they can now get away with using the 166 on the Class 2 services.

The other possibility could be Edinburgh to Dundee, though they would need to do something rolling stock wise.

• Like Like x 2
  8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im really surprised that in 6 months we've nothing more in terms of news from JT.

I really hope they havent canned this project.

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

ÖBB DB SBB CFF FFS Three Country Route Lindau-Bludenz/St Margethen.
    Swiss Part is ZUB123 ETCS Level1 Integra Signum like Luzern Sursee. Db Locomotives must be 185.1 185.0 ÖBB 1016 PZB LZB Sifa DB ÖBB Lindau-Bludenz. While ÖBB1116 needs to be 201-223 these have the Swiss 1.45m pantographs Carbon Strip. SBB Locomotives Rabe 503 Re421 St Margethen Bregenz Lindau have the correct 1.95m pantographs DB ÖBB.
    Owners of Three Country route can get ÖBB IC 118/119 HRR EN424/425 SKA HMA EN420 421 490 491 Hans Albers RJX66 63 IC112/113. Main Spessart Bahn EN420 421 Innsbruck Köln Düsseldorf Duisburg Oberhausen-Arnhem Railway EN424/425 basically the 02:18 Aschaffenburg 02:38 Lohr. Since it takes 20 min to run Lohr to Würzburg Hbf via Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg connector line. This is seen on ÖBB Nightjet website the 02:58 Würzburg Hbf
    SBB Rabe 503 HMA München Passing to München Hbf.

10. euaningarfill

Because they have just joined and probably very very difficult to learn

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Probably too ambitious for a first attempt and not sure why you need to list so much detail...! :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Circle Line would be my guess. It depends whether they would prefer to make something new or remake content from TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

I had to do that because Three Country corner route needs trains that can support multiple Train Protection Systems in addition to the existing PZB LZB Sifa DB ÖBB. How about something like Chiltern Mainline High Wycombe to London Marylebone or Metropolitan line as the first Just Trains TSW2 route. Those are actually just trains train simulator classic routes that can fit to Train simulator world.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

or they decided to avoid the usual pre-launch backslash, to only announce at release date

• Like Like x 1
  15. euaningarfill

Well yeah depends how they go for tsw as for ts they do release screeshots as development processes

16. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I've a feeling we won't be seeing any routes from them in the near future, my guess is a loco. I believe they only have 2 route builders (Mark and Tom) plus quite a few asset builders, and they seem to be busy building the rest of the MML for TSC. I could quite easily be wrong though!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

I dunno if it will be the first, but the S-Stock/Met line would lend itself quite nicely to TSW.

But for a first route, I do think it will be something that they already have route knowledge on, and is manageable in scope whilst remaining picturesque and offer an "All-inclusive" line experience. To me that seems like

- A section of the Midland Main Line (Maybe Sheffield to Derby)
    - The Mayflower line
    - (Maybe) London to Aylesbury

I doubt it would be a western route... West Cornwall and GWE would put them off until they are confident in doing the full 300 mile stretch (or technology comes along to enable route extensions)

18. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Sadly the more likely scenario tbh

19. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I would be fine if they start with a loco first. Cl60 for tvl for example would be my choice.
    Ntp could use more rolling stock too. If they want to get used to the tools, a good wagon pack for one of the routes would also be a possibility as well for a good start.
    I rather prefere a slow start, than a frustrating disappointment.

Well if jt decides to go in with a route, we probably wont see it anytime soon, except they worked on that even before the announcement. Difficult to guess which one, but probably something they already made.

20. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

My wish list for JT is basically a section of the Midland Main Line.

• Like Like x 3
  21. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Maybe they don't do routes or locos and instead provide us with new Assets? Just a guess ... I have just one product for TSC from them so I really can't say I have a feeling what they are working on, well actually I don't even know how "big" they are but as we see what quality can come from smaller teams (TSG) this might be no indicator at all

22. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Something I could see happening would be one of the London Subsurface line, from what I saw (and still see) in the suggestion section there is a lot of demand for more metro/subway routes but DTG doesn't seem interested right now, as I believe they are waiting for a signaller/dispatcher feature to get added (IIRC the ability to choose different platform on the fly).

If JT either thinks we will accept a lesser timetable, or they think the can circumvent that limitation (similarly to the new BKL timetable), and considering that a lot of the assets around London are already there, and they have previous experience from TS, that could be a possible candidate.

It's also possible they could focus on Loco DLC, in that case I agree that a loco DLC for GCC would make sense, although I think a Class 700 could possibly be one of the most lucrative options (a lot o of people have BML, a lot of people are tired of the Electrostars, and a lot of people like Thameslink/Class 700 itself). I, for one would buy it in a heartbeat unless it was BR187 level bad

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

Not sure if the platform limitation would apply to the circle line (and wouldn't apply to the Hammersmith or District lines as they would have off map sections to dump trains) so maybe in that implementation there would be no need to have the "select open platform automatically" development which DTG are trying to implement on the Bakerloo.

Always thought it's odd that people want a difference from one electric one handled train by accepting another electric one handled train...
    I would happily have the 700 in game though, especially if propogated to the BML, SEHS, a possible MML South, maybe even a Wimbledon loop or NKL (no doubt someone will suggest CML again too). More for the 700 and 465 to do then

• Like Like x 1
  24. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

It depends from person to person and how you play the game. I still remember a similar discussion about this topic regarding why and how the BR155 and BR143 were different enough from "the rest" BR146, 185 and 182.

I am the kind of person that likes to go in-depth with every train, and drive it like IRL, with minimal or no HUD. So I even managed to appreciate the difference between the Class 387 and 377, so the Class 700 would be an entirely completely new way to experience BML. From my point of view would be almost like releasing a new route DLC. It was the same for the Class 465 for SEHS for me, it completely transformed that DLC. And the 700 would be even more different! Combined power/brake handle instead of the notched master controller, central seating position with wide windscreen and new digital instrumentation :D

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  25. ARuscoe

Maybe this is what sets you apart lol

I would agree with you, but I see enough people who say "plastic electro-box" (whilst then asking for aluminium electro-boxes from the 70s or 80s). I guess we all like what we like

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

My preference is for the wood and metal boxes of the 1950's and 60's!

I think a class 700 would add more visual variety to the sea of Electrostars on the BML plus they have that quite pananoramic windscreen for a nicer view out.

They don't look like trains I would want to travel on, I don't find the class 172's particularly comfortable but they seem luxurious compared to a class 700.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  27. ARuscoe

I've sat on them several times from St Pancras to Gillingham (24 stops over 34 miles in an hour and a half) and the phrase "ironing board seats" is pretty much bang on...
    The 465 seats are much better padded, but they don't run past Gravesend much now so it's change at Gravesend onto a 395 or have a numb back end

• Like Like x 3
  28. driverwoods#1787

Really good points and how about just trains do the Rush Hour Train pack. In this forums you would have seen that pack being comprised of Acela Express Boston-Providence ICE-T DB BR411 Nahverkehr Dresden Class 700 BML.

29. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

I’d love to see those guys build a route for TSW. With the care and attention they put into their work they would immediately show DTG & Rivet’s efforts for the half-baked rubbish that they are.

• Like Like x 1
  30. euaningarfill

You seem to forget that they make quality routes for ts snd that took years
    So expecting them to high quality tsw dlc is way over the top

31. JetWash

Not at all. They came in and between them significantly raised the quality of JT’s output for TS classic, without them I felt JT were on borrowed time to be honest. They have talented asset builders working with them and the two of them care about detail and authenticity. You can hear the pride in their work whenever they show it in a stream.

There is absolutely no reason at all why they can’t make the best routes available for TSW. My money would be on them to smash it out of the park, assuming they actually make a route at all.

• Like Like x 2
  32. euaningarfill

You do know it took years for them to build quality routes go have a look at chiltern and western mainlines basically crap routes

33. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

This is why I tend to drive with the 3 key view (I think) and position my view in front of the cab when driving those trains - you get to appreciate the route more rather than seeing it through a small 'porthole'. I'm not sure why DTG don't give us a keybind which does that view automatically. Mmmsim has a great view which does that, and overlays the actual real gauges in a way that doesn't obscure the view. For some reason, most trains in TSC don't have this feature as well.
    It would be great to have the 700 on the BML but unfortunately I don't think this will happen - adding an extra layer of rolling stock would probably require a massive amount of work to add in to the already creaking timetable. It would be brilliant to see it happen though.

• Like Like x 2
  34. JetWash

Indeed, but that wasn’t Tom and Mark. I believe their input started with the West Cornwall section from Penzance. The MML is all them, and it is right up there with the best.

If you’re going to slate JT, make sure you’re slating the right people. JT deserve credit for seeing that their content was well below par and rectifying it.

Those guys are now making consistently excellent content and there’s no reason at all as to why they can’t carry that over to TSW. The difference between JT’s TSC content before Tom & Mark (and whoever else works with them) and after is comparing Apples and Oranges.

• Like Like x 2
  35. theorganist

I wouldn't say Just Trains were that bad before but they have improved for certain.

The Chiltern line suffers from poor frame rates, why I know not. I quite enjoy WML. Back in the early days Bristol to Exeter was one of the first new routes you could purchase for RS and even that doesn't look terrible now if you change the track.

• Like Like x 3
  36. JetWash

With impeccable timing, I’ve just seen this pop up…

upload_2022-6-15_11-42-16.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  37. euaningarfill

No one is slating just stating facts that expecting high quality dlc first hand is not something you should be expecting

38. JetWash

I’ve explained why I disagree with that standpoint so we’ll just have to wait and see :)

• Like Like x 1
  39. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

From someone who's travelled on both, there isn't much between the two in terms of comfort. I'm normally the first to defend modern traction, but both classes suffer from this horrible new trend of having ironing boards instead of seats. At least from what I remember of the 172s, I've only ridden one once, and it was just a short hop from Hereford to Worcester. I find the 700s are comfortable not because of the seats (if we were judging comfort on the seats alone they'd be straight up terrible), but because of how spacious and airy they are, and the air conditioning as a godsend on a hot day.

I definitely would like to see the 700s as well. There's a certain personality to them that I can't put into words. They'd not only do a great job livening up BML and SEHS, but if DTG or JT ever do an ECML South or MML South route (both highly requested) then they'd already have a train ready to go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  40. theorganist

The class 172's have air conditioning too, although considering how sparingly it seems to be actually turned on, you would be forgiven for thinking Bombardier had forgot to install it! I hope it is on this evening otherwise I will end up shedding half a stone!

• Like Like x 2