Trainz 2022

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jamy, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Having become somewhat disillusioned with the direction DTG are taking there sim, i.e I only play UK content and have no interest in steam & the lack of other things like scenario creation. I'm thinking of going back to Trainz 2022. I haven't played trainz since 2012 and used to really enjoy the surveyor mode as well as the session creation.
    I wondered if anyone on hear as played the latest release and if it's any good

2. terry english

terry english Active Member

If I remember correctly, I came onto TSW2 last November. Until then I was using the latest version of Trainz.
    I can tell you that there was no option to use surveyor mode. In other words you were stuck with what Auran put into their latest version at the time.
    I found TSW2 to be much more superior if you wanted to drive trains in as near realistic style as possible.
    Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yeah, Trainz is good for building a pretty layout, but when it comes to actual train driving, TS and TSW are much superior.

• Like Like x 3
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I read on the website that you have to have the yearly subscription to have access to the surveyor

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be in "off topic"?

• Like Like x 1
  6. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Check out some of the screenshots from Trainz on the UK Trainz forums - there are some outstanding route creators on there. Trainz does countryside scenery really well, better than any other train sim I feel.
    The big let down is the lack of an easy way to set routes for the player train. You can create AI paths easily, but not for the player. I can't figure out why they haven't solved this yet! Very weird.

7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

The one thing that continues to deter me about Trainz. I mean it must be possible as routes like the ECML have a couple of player scenarios where you run to a timetable and the AI sets the route for you but it seems to be a dark art known only to a select few. The route building is the easiest of any of the train games though have heard this new Surveyor 2.0 has over complicated things a bit. However it’s not being included with the standalone retail version of the latest edition - TRS22 - which sells for an eye watering £54.99 on Steam or direct from N3V. Of you want to try it, only comes with their monthly subscription Netflix style model.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I thought TRS2022 only locked the multiplayer Surveyor and a few new features, not the whole mode itself. If that's the case though then that's a incredibly scummy move on N3V's part.
    I agree that it's off-topic to this board, but I don't get why you feel the need to make a post about it in the thread. Either report it or chat with a moderator and leave them to it, posting about it to other forum users ain't helping.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

The official reason is that Surveyor 2.0 is still in beta, so only available in Trainz Plus/Gold or whatever it's called.

However to keep this slightly on topic, at least N3V are continuing to provide and upgrade the editing suite. Unlike DTG who have done little or nothing with the TSC tools for years and continue to sit on their hands with the more advanced Scenario Planner for TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Seeing as this is the "PC Discussion" group and Trainz is a PC game I thought it was correct. going by your argument 90% of the threads in this group shouldn't be there

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

I guess PC means PC version of TSW. However as none of the mods seems in a rush to move the thread, I wouldn't sweat it. The discussion is actually quite rational and reasonable too, not the usual, "My sim is bigger than yours..." theme that tends to break out.

12. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Completely fine conversation, but moving to the 'Off Topic' forum as it's not specifically about TSW.

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

As someone else said, PC version of TSW which is the main reason for the forum. I see it's been moved now

Not sure on the "90%" figure. Many topics do tend to wander away from the PC TSW debate, but they do tend to at least start there

14. stevegad

stevegad Member

I just got the platinum version and a load of DLC and I'm loving it. The immersion is off the charts, it looks fine, runs fine and so far it's got my whole attention. I know there's a lot you can do regards scenario building etc, but for now I'm happy driving the routes. Oh, I also bought a few Locos I'm familiar with like the AC4400DW and you can do all the stuff in the can, that you can in TSW. OK, in some Loco's not all the buttons work, but as I ride mainly in the chase view in this sim, it's fine.

• Like Like x 1
  15. olsbyn

olsbyn Active Member

I also bought this during the Steam winter sale, and I love it.
    I have TRS2019 but there was so many issues with it I ended up not playing it after I spent ages trying to fix it, the issue was found eventually though and was related to a included route in TRS19.

TRS22 however has worked flawlessly with my older addons and the new ones so far. When it comes to locomotives it's a mixed bag with what is included in a route, BUT..there are many high quality locos and rolling stock you could buy that are very, very good.
    I also love the looks of it, TRS19 looked good, this looks even better. I find myself playing this more than TSW4 actually.

16. OldVern

Best part of Trainz is the route building. You can throw yourself straight into it with minimal external support needed, though I use Transdem for real world stuff and Basemapz to create model railway templates. But the wealth of content on the DLS really puts every other sim to shame and even the built in stuff from default routes can be used to populate your own route. No restricted placement like you get with Thomson or Rivet assets in TSC or the other bane of trying to find stuff to use in TSC - stations etc. created as one huge unit rather than component parts that can be better utilised. Oh and countless renamable station, road etc. signs.

With TSC you can't even upload a route to Workshop with a single asset that doesn't come from core content or a DLC that's on Steam.

• Like Like x 2
  17. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

I have TRS19 and enjoyed the route building, I think the countryside scenes were the best in any train sim, felt very realistic. The only stumbling block was that I found it difficult to get DEM into it, not much info on it and the stuff that was there seemed quite complex (I did however get DEM and LIDAR into TSW which was hard work also).
    The other things that put me off a bit were the lack of getting the player train to set junctions automatically (there is a way I think but it's quite involved?) and not much in the way of accurate UK signals (approach control).
    There are some stunning screenshots/routes by a chap named Skodatrains, and someone who created a great looking Norfolk route, amonst many other authors also. Duchy days route was very nice as well.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  18. OldVern

Yes that continues to be Trainz' Achilles Heel to this day, the driving experience even with good quality assets is poor due to the lack of ease setting up a timetable for the player train to follow and autonomous routing or switching. You can do all sorts of things with AI controlled trains, which is why it does (IMHO) fit more comfortably in the model railway paradigm.