PlayStation Current Graphics Opinion

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by StarTr3k1701, Jul 26, 2018.

?
  1. Yes, they could have been better

85.7%
  2. No, I think they are good enough

14.3%
  1. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

I respect the work that dovetail has put into TSW but that does not excuse the graphics ive seen which are honestly shocking. The 'graphics' I speak of cover from render distance to texture quality and honestly i'm quite disapointed. The locos themselves look gorgeous but the routes barely look realistic unless its within a radius of a few meters of the player. The map so obviously loads in front of you, trees apear out of nowhere and hell even the track loads in front of the players view and I would excuse that if it was not for the fact that they arent even that great looking. Please understand I dont mean the route itself I simply mean the quality of the textures. Trees look like paper, the skybox looks painted and I'm not even going to pretend to know what happens to the loco wheels when at high speeds. I know that this game can only improve as it has only just released but I wish the base game would be as good as possible before it was released.
    Best of luck - A fellow train lover

• Like Like x 7
  2. Omenanraato

Omenanraato Member

The graphics are okay. But the drawing distance and cab texture are terrible! Lower graphics elsewhere and upgrade the drawing distance and dashboard textures better.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Paul James Barnett

Paul James Barnett New Member

I think the graphics are nice. I have a PS4 Pro so I know the console isn’t being utilised however the game is for the standard PS4. I would like to see if they did a version for PS4 Pro/XBox X with 4K graphics, but on the other side of the coin I’d sooner they improved the drawing distance of the detailed graphics and keep it at 1080p.

4. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Yes, I completely agree with what's been said here. Catenary masts popping up metres in front as you drive on GWE as well sleepers popping up in sections is bad. I very much hope the draw distance can be improved upon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Feastival

Feastival New Member

Before they improve the graphics I won’t buy any following DLCs. I even think now I’ve wasted 59.99USD on this thing on PS4.
    Just check the NEC’s first scenario and you’ll see how horrible the graphics are.

• Like Like x 1
  6. enzocarbone

enzocarbone New Member

Totally agree. This graphic is unaccetable compared to pc version (I got both), but this is a limit of ps4 pro power. I thingh there’s nothingh to do.

7. Samuel

Samuel Member

But improving dashboard(cab) texture would be great

8. Marin

Marin New Member

Honestly, I'm disappointed with graphics. I was expecting more. Models are fine, but overall level of details, environment and many cab textures are pretty bad. And I'm not mentioning poor drawing distance, popping-up and rendering errors.
    Main problem is that graphic performance is not my only concern about the game. I'm also struggling with lack of content (for example more advanced tutorials for newcomers, more complex scenarios, etc.). For now I'm not going to buy any new DLCs till game will be little more polished.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

I think the reason the game is so strained is because its not optimized properly and there is way too much backround map that has no reason to load. If i'm going 130kmh I dont need you loading a whole town around me when I won't see it. They should make the game so it only loads what it needs and to the maximum possible graphics so when i'm going slow everyting loads smoothly and looks great and when i'm going fast focus on loading whats in front of me and to my near left and right at max graphics, I dont need you to load in a whole town when i'm flying past. I hope you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 3
  10. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Its the same on the Pc version. The draw distance is extreeeemly low and the shadows dont have a smooth transition (if you know what I mean). Thats how its always have been and I doubt theres going to be a change pretty soon to this issue without large, like talking about xxl optimization changes.

11. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

I've found that can sometimes depend on what time of day it is and what the weather conditions are. In clear sunny daytime conditions the game can look awful with all the aforementioned sleeper, catenary and shadow pop up. But in the evening and morning when the sun it setting/rising or in greyer conditions and when shadows and sleeper draw distance is less noticeable it can look quite good.

I have experienced quite a bit of lag and stuttering though especially when going at 125mph in an HST. I'm playing on a PS4 slim. Does it run significantly smoother on a Pro?

12. Duncan Mcintyre

Duncan Mcintyre New Member

No mate, it doesn’t. Love the game but the lag and graphics could have been a lot better. On a positive, no mans sky started out in similar ilk but appears to have redeemed itself.

Personally, I am enjoying the simulator. Simplistic yet very therapeutic..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ibanez074

Ibanez074 Member

On my standard ps4 the UK route runs much smoother than the other two

14. Rogue

Rogue New Member

If the in cab graphics were better, like actually being able to see detail on the guages/screens etc I would be happy

15. Kevvy68

Kevvy68 Member

I would love a pc with superior graphics again, gamers who play sims love nothing more than detail.
    I'm not sure about ps4 limitations and hopefully some things can be improved but on the whole i think a really good job given its on a console.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Patrick Kolinski

Patrick Kolinski Active Member

completely agree

• Like Like x 1
  17. haanuman

haanuman New Member

To be honest there is always room for improvement, but I am happy with what I have.

18. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

It only took NMS two years to redeem itself, companies know when a game is not ready but they still release it it’s wrong and they know it, it all about getting money if the product is ready or not

19. Louwe

Louwe Member

Totaly agree. It looks nice wen you fly trough a city but it's not a driving game or a flightsimulator it's a train sim. All that crap to load... I still like the game cause i'm a train sim lover but DTG hits de plank totaly ;-)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Time to play devil's advocate to some extent. ;) If you are using the "8" camera which lets you roam ahead and to the side of the track then obviously you would like to see the scenery to each side of the line even if you can't see that scenery when you're in the locomotive cab. The same also applies to the "3" camera if you position over the front of the train as your viewpoint is higher than that of the cab. The same principle also applies where the line is on high ground giving a view over a valley with its associated scenery. Now you may well be a person for whom the scenery is of no real interest but that's not the case for many other players who are probably in the majority.

On the subject of optimisation I fully agree with you that there is still a lot outstanding. On the PC side DTG has been steadily improvng the performance, in some cases by reducing scenery quality :(, since TSW was released and I feel there is more that could be done whilst also restoring some of the the scenery quality that was degraded. Given all that it's hardly surprising that both PS4 & XB1 optimisation has a way to go especially since DTG is not as familiar with those platforms.

Please note that I am by no means saying that you shouldn't push for further optimisation - you very definitely should hold DTG's feet to the fire for further optimisation. I am merely giving a possible explanation of why certain design decisions may have been made and pointing out that it may take some time before you see improvements.

21. Ali D

Ali D Member

Train graphics are great . But the rest is basic .. if you look at other open world games like gta for example great level of detail ie landscape, water,buildings, moving other vehicles ,people ect .. now I'm not saying the game has to be that detailed but small things like station boards working bit more movement outside would be awesome..

• Like Like x 3
  22. Alex Shelestov

Alex Shelestov New Member

When you say 'be patient, it's just PS4 limits', I remember such games as GTA-V, Batman Arkham Knight, etc. So, yep, there are some limits. Like budget, less developers, time limits and so on :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

I see a lot of comments here talking about system limitations this, development time that, and I get it, there's a lot to be considered and over all they've done a great job. And it's precisely because they're more than capable I cannot forgive them for dropping the ball so spectacularly when it comes to the massive inconsistency in texture quality across the whole sim. I mean just take a look a the control stand in the GP38. I'm sorry Dovetail but this is utterly unacceptable. Compare the resolution of this texture to the textures used in the HST and many of the other trains. There's no good reason for this to have been scaled down to such an extent. Please, patch the sim again soon, upscale the interior textures, add some bump maps to the exterior metal paneling and fix the motion blur issues.

• Like Like x 3
  24. yanceyg

yanceyg Member

The PS4 is more than capable. I think that because they're new to developing for consoles, they are still learning how to exploit the system's power.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  25. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

The PS4 can run God of War, Spiderman and For Honor. Each being big but yet beautiful games that run smoothly. There is no way it cannot run this game at a constant 30 fps

• Like Like x 2
  26. yanceyg

yanceyg Member

I agree 100%. TSW should be detailed in every way. I’m hoping the graphics will improve over time. I love the game, but some things I’ve noticed is unacceptable.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Samuel

Samuel Member

The same things for GTA V or Assassins Creed: Origins.

• Like Like x 1
  28. hightower

hightower Guest

This isn’t a console only thing, it is EXACTLY the same on the PC. There are fundamental problems with the way this game has been coded from day 1. Many issues that were present in Train Simulator have simply been carried across into TSW, and many new ones have been created. In addition, literally nothing has been fixed on the PC either. It’s a complete heap of a game...the ‘old’ Train Simulator is in a different league in every regard except maybe graphics, but many of the modern routes look very good indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  29. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

The price we pay for it too, we expect the same as PC. It's named The "Unreal" Engine 4. It's unreal but in the wrong way. It's definitely not real.

• Like Like x 1
  30. brionfire

brionfire New Member

I have not played this before so don't have PC experience to compare (although I have seen YouTube videos).

For me the game plays fine and is what I was expecting from the graphics.

31. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

Here's a great example of poor attention to detail in quality control pre release that could/should have been avoided.

Poor Quality Visuals 01.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  32. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

So finally after waiting for over a week since purchase WSR is now playable. Thank you, though I still stand firm in saying it should never have been released in such a state. As for the current graphics quality throughout the rest of the sim. We've still to hear any acknowledgment from you whether you ever intend to address and tidy up the poor 6th gen texture quality for much of the GP38 interior or if you're ever likely to give us the option to turn off the god awful motion blur. As I've said before, GWR looks fantastic, the loco's from NEC not so much.

• Like Like x 1