Stanier 8f Wheelies

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dangerousdave, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Are the front wheels of the stanier 8f ment to be leaving the rails? The bounce is a bit more aggressive than usual!

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

The wheels of both trains leave the rails. It's bouncing up and down like crazy like there's no weight especially at speed

3. Yea the both had a bit of bounce to them but today it's much worse. We'll it appears that way.

I thought the train was gonna leave the rails at one point.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2022
  4. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

How fast are you going dangerousdave and are you able to record video?

5. I wasn't going that fast. Around 40 mph. I'll do a vid later.

The first few days it definitely wasn't doing it. It had some up and down movement, what you would expect, but now it's a lot worse.

6. paul.pavlinovich

Interesting - any particular service where you would expect I'd see it and approximate time in - or is it anywhere?

7. I first noticed it on the worst winter of all.

Not far into the scenario. As soon as you reach around 40 mph.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
  8. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks I will go and look.

9. paul.pavlinovich

Yeah I see what you mean. This is absolute guess work but I suspect the wheel sets aren't modelled as sprung - when the pilots lift the driving wheels do too - at least the front ones. Looks like the entire locomotive is trying to stay within one vertical plane and as the track undulates its struggling to match it.

On a real locomotive each wheelset is independently sprung so you would expect each of them to jog up and down as needed to match the track profile.

I'll send in feedback about it. I had noticed it happening in the past but now you've made me look in detail its interesting.

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Yea I think you are right about the suspension on wheel sets being non existent. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the pilots ment to have quite a lot of suspension travel, so they stay on track to prevent derailments when bouncing like that?

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

During the rescue scenario, as I was dropping the defective Jubilee into the shed near the end of the scenario, I noticed that its tender was rhythmically lifting up and down off the track while it was still coupled to the 8F and both were stationary. I’ve also posted elsewhere about the amount of shifting around of the external cameras and have come to the conclusion that there is a lot of artificial movement introduced to the trains to simulate how bouncy it would be in an old steam train but it has unwanted artefacts such as these issues.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Genuine question, as I am not knowledgable at all on steam trains, but isn't the effect a bit exaggerated. At 50 or 60mph the 8F feels like a rollercoaster. Am I supposed to just go slower?

13. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It seems a bit overdone to me but I don’t know how bouncy the trains were back then.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes I have noticed this. When stationary the loco and tender are moving about. But with tsc the trains are never stationary even though in games the player is usually stationary and its the terrain that's actually moving. So I guess I just expect it now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. They do bounce. Especially when pulling a heavy load. As the weight of the wagons pulls on the coupling it does tend to lift the front of the loco a bit. That's why they have pilot wheels. But the pilot wheels are ment to stay on the track, not lift with the train.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. As for speed. I'm not familiar with track limits back in the 50s but today a lot of lines have 2 speed limits. One for passenger services and one for freight (depending on what type of freight) this is not implemented in tsw. There's been a few times I've past a speed board at line speed but with a 45mph freight limit and not been points penalised for it.

On sos I never usually exceed 45mph when driving a freight train.

I'm sure someone knows the answer to the above though.

Another thing to look at for is the little gadget that shows acceleration or brake force on the hud. If it starts bouncing up and down your getting articulation and should reduce power.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
  17. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

This is due to the fact that the rails are completely flat but the loco is behaving like the track is not flat. Hopefully more realistic track rendering in the future can make this look more realistic.
    If you play a game called Diesel Railcar Simulator there will be an update soon that will simulate uneven track quite accurately.

• Like Like x 1
  18. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

DRS simulates all aspects of movement, far better than TSW or TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  19. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

It sure does IKB and did so from the inception of the game.

• Like Like x 2