Gpu Going Mental - Latest Update The Cause?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by PeteW, Jun 21, 2022.

1. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Just taken todays update. I was doing something else whilst it downloaded. But once complete and launched, TSW2 sat at the menu screen. My 3080 is running at 100%, fans on full with a reported 50 FPS. I have the game limited to 60 FPS. So the static menu screen is not hitting that and it is causing my pretty decent graphics card to go mental.... I have never noticed this issue before today.. lets see what happens if I kick off one of the DLC.. GWE
    Games starts in Paddington, FPS back to full 60 FPS. GPU still hitting 80%. But seems better in-game than at menu! Anyone else noticing anything similar?

• Like Like x 3
  2. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

This is normal in many games, menus often have no FPS limitation, so never idle in menus or your graphics card will spin up.

3. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

I understand that seems to be true. IMO any game should clearly not be maxing the graphics card during a static screen. But that's not the point here.
    I see the onscreen FPS counter showing approx 50 FPS which is lower than during the game. But the GPU utilisation is at absoulte maximum. I don't think I have seen this until I updated tonight. As an example, sat in Paddington on GWE, in HST, FPS is 60 (limited in menu I guess) with GFX card at 60%.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

It has always been like this in the menu. It is not frame rate limited. I suspect you've just not noticed it before. Don't leave your screen on the menu too long, I know with the combination of my photographic editing monitor (admittedly a bit on the sensitive side) and my card the menu burns into the screen pretty easily and then I have to run this coloured blocks video for hours to clear it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I've been having issue since the update before 20th June. For some reason i'm getting 25 FPS when Im in the cab of any loco and 100 FPS running the train with the view outside (GPU RTX 3070TI)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Me, I'm fine. I always ride in outside view.
    Except at Rivet, where they don't implement the exterior view. Shame. It will be a criterion of refusal, if in their future DLC, it does not exist.

7. PeteW

PeteW Active Member

Ok thanks. Certainly possible I haven't noticed it (or lingered as much) on the home screen.

8. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

There is clearly something wrong with the menu. It does the same on AMD card. Spins the fans at max and heats up the gpu. And i limit the FPS in the driver so it should never get over 60.
    For some reason ingame i get stable 60FPS but in the menu also only around 40FPS.
    So no, the game is not rendering unlimimited FPS. There is something else wrong.
    6700XT

Once im in the game (3d) its much better.

DTG JD
    Is this issue known to the team?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  9. 5cip

5cip Active Member

does force v-sync is an option for those who got problems ?
    i have forced v-sync and capped the fps extra to 60 fps so here it runs all fine

10. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Would not matter. If i set max FPS 60 in the driver the GPU will not render more then 60 FPS. Also, the FPS counter shows 40 FPS.

Enabling Vsync would help if you have a 60 Hz Monitor and no other way to limit the FPS.

11. paul.pavlinovich

I run capped with vsync on too and it revs it up..... oh and yes tsw2 its known

• Like Like x 1
  12. paul.pavlinovich

Exterior view is core - what do you mean Rivet don't implement it?

13. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

I call the menu stress test. It runs the GPU on 100%, no matter what settings or FPS limits. It puts the maximum wattage and temperature out of GPU in an instant. I usualy click fast through menu, just to get in the game :) Please, sort this out..

• Like Like x 2
  14. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I think he means the "head outside the window" views you get when pressing the arrow keys. Bit of a pet peeve of mine as well on that route tbh.

15. paul.pavlinovich

Is there any particular train it doesn't work on? Does that work if you cannot open the windows?

16. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

So far I've only experienced it on the class 150 on WCL. Haven't played with the windows with regards to it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. paul.pavlinovich

Thanks LWDAdnane and Jeannot41 I tried all Rivet's trains
    Arosa RhB - can get head out
    IoW - can get head out
    Rab 523 - no
    WCL 150 - no
    Paul

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

This is a major problem and needs instant attention.

DTG JD
    Could you already talk to the team about that?

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks. I've passed this onto the team for investigation.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

Yeah, the main menu is one thing but the pause screen is quite another. Nipped off for a phone call and when I returned the GPU was dancing on the table with its feet on fire. Really needs sorting ASAP

• Like Like x 3
  21. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with just using cam3 and setting it by the window? Although quite why Rivet on the last 2 routes have left it out. Is there a limit on number of Incab views a loco can have and have they hit in some other way?

22. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

True, this needs to be fixed ASAP. Stuff like this should be noticed during testing ans instantly patched.

• Like Like x 2
  23. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Ok, i would suggest setting your render percentage to the lowest setting (50%) while in the menu. You can increase it again once you are in the train to 100 or 200%. Make sure a FPS limit is set or you use Vsync.
    This way i get down to only 40% GPU usage ans only around 80W in the menu.

At least this is something that can be done while we wait for a fix.

24. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

i'm using a gaming laptop (latest spec.. Gen 12 processor, DDR5 memory, RTX 3070Ti etc)

And until this latest update i had no problems in the menu's, my gfx card sat pretty much idle, pulling about 40 watts, fans ticking over if on at all.

But since it updated last night for me, i'm getting the same issue others have (and have had for a while it seems)
    in the menu's the gfx card is pulling it's full 150 watts !!!!
    fans sound like a vacuum cleaner, and it was turning my room into a sauna with the heat being chucked out the vents, i could feel the air being sucked in around the keyboard keys.

Get into the actual game and driving a train, and everything backs off, gfx card pulling between 80 and 100 watts and fans back to their normal speed / sound i'm used to.

• Like Like x 2
  25. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Lets hope we will see a fix soon.

• Like Like x 1
  26. loflyinjett

loflyinjett New Member

Can confirm I also have this behavior. I kept wondering why I was suddenly feeling all this heat under my desk.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    GPU: Nvidia 3070
    RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200
    Mobo: Asus B450 Strix-F
    Game installed on NMVe SSD.

• Like Like x 1
  27. phpuk

phpuk Member

I am also seeing this effect in cab and a much higher FPS when out of cab since the first update in June, at least I am not the only one.

28. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have not experienced anything unusual since the last few updates (including SoS release) apart from a couple GWE crashes likely related to mods. No weird GPU behaviour or low FPS with my RTX 3080.

EDIT: I found the cause of the GWE crashes: Will's 1972 stock cab door enabler.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  29. What video settings are you guys using? My 3070 is flat out when driving and flat out when in the menu. It makes no difference to me.

30. loflyinjett

loflyinjett New Member

All Ultra personally with scaling at 150%, a few engine.ini tweaks but nothing major. FPS hangs around 40-80 depending on where I am and what I'm doing. FPS hasn't moved much in either direction but I'm definitely getting high power draw and heat from the menus than I was before.

31. What res are you running? The game is weird! At 1080 with everything ultra ini settings all maxed and screen @200%, my gpu is working at full power 100fps. At 2160 all settings the same apart from screen @175% my gpu ain't working half as much! Fps is 40 tops! I ain't got a 1440 native display so can't comment on that res.

32. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Just gave it a try with my Ryzen 3700X + 3070ti system, 1920x1080, no scaling, all in-game graphics maxed plus some ini tweaks from that thread (including using DX12). In SPG with train underway and outside cam 3 view (meaning moving scenery), 86%-88% GPU @ 55 degrees C, 15-20% CPU @ 53.5C; back to menu, 86-87% GPU @ 51C, 4.x-5.x% CPU @ 48C.

As a control, right now with no Steam or game running, GPU is at 2% and about 34.5C, no fans; CPU is fluctuating between 0-1.5% and temp around 40C.

So, while I haven't paid attention to the in-game CPU/GPU nitty-gritty before now, nothing seems unusual here.

33. loflyinjett

loflyinjett New Member

1440p144hz.

34. At that res you would expect the gpu to be working a lot harder when driving!

Most of my games there's no difference now. Whether I'm playing or in the pause menu, my gpu is under full load. Maybe it's a issue with Windows.

35. gazz292

my laptop has a 165Hz monitor, 2560x1600 native,

But i quickly found that running TSW2 at 165Hz, the GFX card would be pulling max power (150w) and running pretty hot all the time i was driving (in the menu's it'd drop right down to about 40 watts, i havent tried running 165Hz after the latest update tho),

But i dropped the screen down the 60Hz, and halved the temperatures, and it'll pull between 80 to 100 watts.

i really can't see the difference between the ~120 FPS i got and the ~60 FPS i get now, it's a train sim, not a FPS game after all.

With some tweaks to the engine.ini etc, i got it so it'll run most routes between 40 and 60 fps, i still get micro stutters tho... of course. as that's a core game issue.

36. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Can't confirm that it has something to do with windows.
    I use Windows 10 (up to date) and the problem is only in TSW2. All other games work fine.

37. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Can't be fixed with the "remove avatar from menu"-mod anymore?
    Anyone tried that?

38. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

What is it? Could you be so kind as to explain?

39. gazz292

at a guess.. a mod that removes your avatar from the menu... the guy/gal... erm... non binary thingamybob you chose to represent you as the driver of the trains,
    stands in the bottom left corner looking around as you flip between trains / routes and changes clothes to suit.

Can't see that causing such high gfx power, but ya never know with TSW2.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Ah yeah, I see now. Given how there is such a drain on resources when on the menu I can see this working.

41. gazz292

thing is, before the june update, my gfx card was idling along in the menu,
    now it's running full tilt, pegged at 150 watts (the max this laptop can supply to it)

i can't see any differences in the menus tho, maybe i'm not looking hard enough, but it all seems the same as it's always been,

We shouldn't have to use mods to disable individual parts of the menu to stop our computers potentially overheating,

42. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

In an ideal world no, of course we shouldn't. But reading it really made me laugh, how riddiculous it is. DTG should make it their motto :)

On the topic, I am still using that mod that replaces the riddiculous train station view and places the locos in front of a maintenance building. Not only you see the current selected wether, it also removes the GPU taxing avatar and I have not had any issues in the menu since then, not even after the latest updates. Highly recommend.

• Like Like x 2