Is Ts2022 "officially" Supported On Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by rwaday, Mar 15, 2022.

1. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I am looking for an "official" answer from a DTG team member. I have heard reported instances of it running well to not at all and causing OOM errors and crashes. In some cases it seems to be certain scenarios only, others the game will not run at all. It also seems to be system specific not unlike running on Windows 10. Before I make the jump to W11 I an trying to collect all the information that I can. TS2022 runs well on my current system with an occasional OOM error while doing editing but very seldom while running scenarios.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  2. JPS

JPS Member

While you wait for this ' offcial' answer (yes I get why you said it like that), consider this....

TS2022 will run on windows 11 depending on your system. There is no blanket statement to be made here. Just like some people with Windows 10 or even still 7 will have problems, while others have none.
    How TS2022 runs will depend mostly on your own setup and how you tinkered with your installation. In general and out of experience I can say that if it runs well for you on windows 10, it will run equally on windows 11 (if you set it up identical).

If you do an inplace upgrade, nothing will change. If you do a clean install I recommend backing up your TS folder, and after your initial installation of TS under Windows 11 just copy the entire folder back over it.

I realize everyone has an opinion and that's what you want to avoid, so do with this as you like.

3. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have been using TS2022 on Windows 11 since it first came out (October 2021) and have had no issues any more than in Windows 10.

4. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Hi rwaday this is not an official answer by any means but I've been using TS2022 under Windows 11 with no change from Windows 10. I've not found any change at all to be honest. It runs just the same, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Paul

5. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

It's a good question. There is no reason to suggest that Train Simulator will not work in Windows 11 - it's a DirectX title and all the system requirements are fundamental aspects of the Windows platform which remain supported in the new OS.

With regard to the differing user experiences, as we're sure you can appreciate, there are as many configurations of PC as there are stars in the night sky and this inherently makes it difficult to give any guarantees. There's also the fact that players make changes to their installation beyond what is officially supported, some of which can and does directly influence the software's stability. So, it's a foregone conclusion that these are inherent aspects to whether the software works ok or not.

A way forward is to simply upgrade to Windows 11, ensuring you also update all device drivers accordingly, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then you can always roll back to Windows 10 using the automated process providing you do so within the 10-day deadline (you can still rollback after this time but it's a bit more complicated). If you're upgrading from Windows 7 or 8, you may not get the option to roll back so, would recommend you check Microsoft's Support Site for details before you do so.

As a final reassurance, I personally have upgraded to Windows 11 and haven't had any problems with Train Simulator myself. If I was to give one recommendation that is to be absolutely sure that there are Windows 11 drivers for ALL your hardware devices before you do the upgrade - then download them and save them to your desktop so you know where they are after the upgrade has completed and make sure to restart your PC after each device driver install.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Hi Steve, About DTG not officially supporting Windows 11 stemmed from a ticket I made to DTG support about a minor issue of the Store button on the main screen of TS2022 being greyed out and also not seeing the latest release, etc. When I mentioned that I was using Windows 11 part of the reply was as follows.

Furthermore, we do not officially support Windows 11 as stated in the minimum system requirements. Therefore, you may experience technical/compatibility issues we will not be able to resolve. Please see the minimum system requirements on the Steam Store page for compatible operating systems.

7. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks for letting me know, Trev123. From a technical standpoint, they are correct in their response, it wasn't officially supported but since we've now separately confirmed that it does work ok, and we're not seeing any major anomalies with it, we should be able to extrapolate our options from Windows 10 infrastructure to Windows 11. So for now, I'll say it is provisionally supported but what we really need is for you guys to tell us if you're running into problems so we can decide whether they are Win 11 specific issues or not.

Did you manage to get the store button issue worked out?

Best, Steve

8. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Thanks, Steve. The store button is still greyed out and nothing happens either when you press the community button. I wonder if this could be a Steam issue. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago where it was showing me the latest release offers etc as the old Coronation Class Steam loco etc from about 10 years ago (the store button was ok then) and at the same time, my download speed was extremely slow. I contacted Steam about this and they came up with the usual suggestions to fix the speed and nothing I tried worked. When I reported back they said that there was nothing that they could do about my download speeds but a couple of days later they came right and I was able to see the latest offers etc. This time though my download speeds are fine from Steam.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  9. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

trev, could this be a firewall issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2022
  10. trev123

trev123 Active Member

No, I have checked that and TS2022 can access my computer.

11. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks Trev,

You're correct that it is a Steam issue. The software attempts to establish a connection with Steam before giving you the option to use it - this is checked on start-up of the software so, there's a few things to check as outlined below. I'd suggest starting with Steam Settings first, then start up TS to see if the button is still greyed out before then moving on to the other options. Note that TS only does the check on start-up so, you'll need to kep restarting TS to check if anything you've done has fixed the issue.

In your Steam Settings:

Under In-Game - check that Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game is enabled and that Steam Networking is set to Default.

Under Downloads - make sure your Download Region is set to a location that is either close to where you live or at least in the same country.

Under Cloud - check that Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for applications which support it is enabled.

Ensure any changes in the Steam Settings are saved. For safety, I'd suggest restarting Steam so it takes any changes into account on startup.

Next, you'll need to check the options in Train Simulator's properties (right-click on Train Simulator in your Game Library and select Properties):

Under General - Ensure everything is enabled.
    Under Updates - Ensure Always keep this game updated is enabled.

If all the above are set appropriately, then, Steam is properly configured. If you still have problems with the Store button, you'll need to check your router is properly forwarding Steam's ports (typically, it's 27015 TCP/UDP but could also be 27000-27100 UDP and 27015-27030 TCP/UDP). Most of the time, though, if NAT is enabled in your router, you shouldn't have to worry about port-forwarding but, some routers can be a bit overzealous in blocking ports in its attempts to keep you secure.

If all the above has failed, it can only be Windows or whatever other Firewall software you're using.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Hi Steve, Thanks again the greyed-out store button problem is now solved. In General, under TS2022 properties, the boxes for Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game were unticked, and Use Desktop Game Theatre while Steam VR is active were unticked. I suspect it was the Steam overlay being unticked that was the issue as I don't use Steam VR. I don't know how these became unticked but funny things can change in software settings without you realizing it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. brummie

brummie Active Member

Hi Trev123,

I have been following this thread from time to time and so I'm very pleased you finally got this sorted. Have a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TrainSim-Steve

Hi Trev123,

That's really great to hear! I'm in agreement with you that it was likely the Steam overlay that was the problem. Naturally, with it disabled, there's no direct connection with Steam from the software.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  15. harveysa801

harveysa801 New Member

Just to say, I have a computer that's perfectly fine but I think the only requirement it meets is it has 16GB of RAM.

It used to run Windows 11 perfectly fine with no issues. Nothing was complaining and updates were smooth. Even with Legacy boot, no TPM, an incompatible processor, basically none of the requirements met.

(The reason I say "used to" is because I installed Linux back in January-ish. It's still working exceptionally well for a 13 year old computer (you read that right).)

krnt.run
    myindigocard app

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  16. paul.pavlinovich

Nothing wrong with old computers harveysa801 I still have a laptop from 2005 that I run and stream Microsoft Train Simulator (yes the original) from each year on its anniversary. I upgraded it to Windows 7 but have not gone past that deliberately as MSTS compatibility isn't great beyond there. Really I should have left it on XP. I did replace the HDD with a SSD and maxed out the RAM when I got given some for free but its still alive and healthy.

Paul

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

May I ask why you don't use OpenRails to run your MSTS routes?

Makes me think how nice it would be having deer hazards in TSC ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2022
  18. paul.pavlinovich

Oh I only run MSTS once a year and stream it on its birthday. I kinda cobbled together the streaming setup as a bit of a challenge to see if I could make it work. One day a year its all together, the rest of the time it and the laptop live in a box under the bed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Oh deer. It is rough enough when a passenger walks on the track and details us, and you want deer?

20. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The flippin' passengers are deaf, I can sound my horn to no avail... deer runs off in MSTS as you blow the horns :D so there's at least real interaction there. I really liked this funny feature, "deer.haz".

33.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022