Pc Build - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FD1003, Jun 23, 2022.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've had the idea of going to PC for a long time, and after some discussion with other people a bit of research I've landed on this build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€200.00 @ Amazon Italia)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler (€34.99 @ Amazon Italia)
    Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€161.38 @ Amazon Italia)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€126.99 @ Amazon Italia)
    Storage: Crucial P2 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€179.84 @ Amazon Italia)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB VENTUS 2X Video Card (€469.90 @ Alternate Italia)
    Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€76.23 @ Amazon Italia)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM 64-bit (€122.49 @ Amazon Italia)
    Total: €1371.82
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-23 07:46 CEST+0200

It's still not 100% definitive, and I wanted to hear your opinion about it - how will handle TSW? My plan is to run at 1440p at 60fps.

Items I am still not too sure about is the CPU cooler and the case - which I haven't added to the list as of yet -

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The cooler master hyper works great on my system which is a similar spec.

As for the case, make sure that it's long enough to fit the graphics card, wide enough for the CPU cooler and plenty of space for airflow.

I made the mistake of buying a smaller, cheaper case and the temperatures were sky high. Swapped for a larger cooler master case, sorry can't recall the model, and CPU temperature rarely gets over 50 degrees C.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Also, if the case doesn't come with a built in case fan (many don't) you can pick these up fairly cheaply and many full size motherboards come with case fan management built into the control system

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Everything I've read about the Intel 12th Gen says that they're volcanos, so you may want to look at liquid as opposed to air cooling. That said, longo239 said air is working for him. Cooler Master does make good coolers and cases (and case fans). You'll definitely want to get a case with maximum airflow and as many extra fans as it will hold. And have decent AC in your home.

Regarding the MSI board, I just had an incident a couple of weeks ago where the new BIOS both prevented my boot drive from being recognized as one and also broke its own BIOS flash feature, so I couldn't downgrade back to the last working one. And further, after using the emergency flash feature on the back of the motherboard, though it seemingly worked, the board wouldn't boot at all--black screen. I ended up replacing it with an ASUS board, as they've never done me wrong.

Sample size of one, but I wanted to throw that out there.

Aside from those caveats, looks like you're putting together a very nice system. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid that's slightly beyond my budget, as you know it's not a small undertaking - but definitely possible in the future. I don't think the games I play will require it to continuously boost to its max frequency so I hope it's not going to be a problem.

Living in Sicily (where we recorded the record highest temperature in Europe last year I believe) a good AC is needed to survive so that's not a problem.

Since heating could be a problem I will not however cheap out on the case.

That's the sort of thing that scare me - as someone that is not all that knowledgeable the idea of troubleshooting something like this is fairly scary. But I hope in that case I'd be able to either send back the board or go to a nearby repair shop at the very least...
    Thanks I tried to focus on value for money rather than outright performance or trying to be overly cheap. I know it's not a top tier god machine but hopefully it's a decently balanced mid-high level option :)

6. ARuscoe

Only if you overclock them. Run them as Intel intended and they run fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Or look at an AMD Ryzen based system which is likely to be more upgradeable in future- Intel seems to come up with a new CPU socket every generation while I could get a current Ryzen CPU and use it in my three and a bit years old system.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

LGA1700 has been around a while

• Like Like x 1
  9. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I've skipped dealing with liquid cooling so far for the same reason; air's cheaper and so far works fine. My current Ryzen 7 3700 CPU tends to run hot naturally, but the included air cooler is perfectly adequate. Plus, I have a good-sized mid-tower case with plenty of airflow space and mounts for six case fans, all occupied.

It's out of warranty, so sending it back would still cost me. And it occurred to me that even if MSI fixed it or I was able to find a solution, I would still be using a motherboard from a company that released a badly broken BIOS and a had broken emergency failsafe. I just decided to cut my losses.

My priority as well. I'd bought this motherboard and processor as a decent value with actual future-proofing, with the board being good for at least one more processor swap. Instead, I ended up swapping out the motherboard and keeping the processor. C'est la vie.

• Like Like x 1