Where Can I Buy Good American Steam Locomotives?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blazin, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Does anyone know where to buy some good quality / fun to drive American steam trains other than from Steam Store / Dovetail Store? There isn't many American steam trains on the Steam store which disappoints me and I want some good recommendations please. Anything that isn't too hard but isn't too easy to drive is good for me. Thank you in advance.

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there isn't much the American community has to offer in terms of steam locomotives. Other than the ones linked above, we also have the Britkits locomotives, representing most of the USRA classes (our attempt at standardizing locomotive design during WWI). Having seen screenshots, they look okay overall but also pretty dated. They'll match up nicely with the Golden Age of Railroading freeware rolling stock. There's also the G-Trax Penn Steam route on Railworks America. Included are two decent quality Bessemer and Lake Erie steam engines.
    https://railworksamerica.com/index....:pennsylvania-steam&catid=20:route-collection
    There's also the payware Cascadian route by G-Trax, which has an electric locomotive, but also a Great Northern S2 (modded SP&S 700) in the download library for it. It's not quite accurate, since the model carries over some of 700's features like Boxpok drivers.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I seriously recommend buying the G-TraX Cascadian Route from RWA - you will not regret it.

It depicts Stevens Pass from 1928 to 1956 - including the old Cascade tunnel and the scenic track north of Cascade tunnel over Tye (which was destroyed in an avalanche), also the Leavenworth branch (via Tumwater, Drury, Chiwaukum, Winton) and comes with the Y-1 electric loco. Check the scenario downloads for it on RWA.

If you like Stevens Pass then this is a definite must-have.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Machine Rail has some good content if you're into stuff from the turn of the 20th century. They're also set to release a Western Maryland H-9 model tomorrow. They seem to work pretty quickly, with a 4-5 month gap between releases. According to their projects page, they'll be putting out a couple more big, mainline steamers in the coming months. https://www.machine-rail.com/inicio
    2fdbfe_246ae7e463344681842e29bc427162f2_mv2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1