Spirit Of Steam: Save Game, Lazy Fireman?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by johnbirch#4603, Jun 12, 2022.

1. johnbirch#4603

johnbirch#4603 Active Member

I know save games have an issue... but...

I've noticed this a few times now, but particularly today on the Acton Bridge-Crewe run.

First attempt, great speed, loads of team, fireman working like mad, so much so that unable to stop in Crewe. So went back to the last auto-saved position. This time - steam drops like a stone while the fireman stands around watching the world go by, forced to prompt him by opening the firebox, still less than effective.

As I say, it has happened on other routes and with both locos. So def a save game issue.

And... how do you give your fireman a kick up the... rear end... and make them do their job??

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I noticed that coal doesn't seem to do anything to the fire. I did a full run in auto firing mode, and didn't run out of pressure.

3. jackthom

jackthom Active Member

I've just been struggling to get the Jubilee with 10 passenger coaches over 20mph on the run from Lime St to Runcorn. It completely ran out of steam and ground to a halt a couple of miles short of the station so had to wait while it built up pressure.
    Honestly not sure if I'm doing something wrong (double checked the brakes were fully released), or maybe the Auto Fireman setting isn't quite up to the job ??!

4. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Its not the firemans fault if you drive your loco in ineffective conditions / settings.
    Just showling more and more coal wouldnt be the solution anyway ;).

Currently in tsw the manual firing isnt implemented. So related to my experience the boiler generates always steam, no matter if you add more coal or not at all.

Im asuming the firebox steam generation is now based on ideal conditions, which means the generation happens not with too much coal and not with a lack of coal.

So in addition to that you have the blower and dampers to control the steam generation, which is working in tsw now.

Now the players only have to drive the steam loco in a effective way, and thats absolutley possible. Means use speed, regulator and reverser in a wise way and plan gradients ahead.

I can see all the posts when dtg implements the actual manual firing. The exhaust and live steam injectors will be physicly implemented, and of course the ideal coal mass.

At the bottom of the line i really hope dtg isnt gonna simplify anything because players dont understand the functionality of a steam loco. Many will probably be overwhelmed by the amount of factors influences the succes or fail of a service.

• Like Like x 3
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

As has been said on stream firing is essentially "magic" at the moment. My personal expectation is it will be more realistic when manual firing comes along in the future.

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. paul.pavlinovich

It's a good book that one. I have a real life printed one complete with oily smudges in my collection.

You might find this useful too

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The dampers definitely have an effect.

• Like Like x 1
  9. paul.pavlinovich

Oh yes, things definitely do have an effect, the question is why? Life.

10. RetiredPaul

RetiredPaul New Member

I've also noted this. When you resume a Savegame, the fireman does nothing. It has happened to me on several scenarios with both the Jubilee and 8F.
    I have tried changing the Steam Firing Mode from Automatic to manual and assisted mode, then back again, but still the fireman stays on strike. I have also completely restarted the game, but as long as you resume the Savegame, you don't get a working fireman.
    Looking at this thread, many of you want to do both jobs. Those of us novice enginemen are happy to concentrate on driving and leaving the steam generation to someone else!

11. paul.pavlinovich

At this time the fireman doesn't really do anything at all RetiredPaul - we're all waiting for proper firing to come along in the future.

Just out of interest, if you open the firebox door does it wake up your recalcitrant fire stoker in this situation?

Paul

12. I have the same problem with speed. Can get about 20mph tops. Don't run out of steam though. I guess in the old days the driver would pick up as much speed as he could out of lime St (ignoring speed limits) to get enough momentum for the hill.
    Can anyone tell my why the 8f has no trouble at all? Loaded with freight.