Exploring German Tsw Routes In Real Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Br425, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I just posted my 9€ Ticket journey summary in the replies below :)

So since we have the 9€ ticket in Germany for this summer, I decided to explore some of the Train Sim World routes in real life.
    Yesterday, I travelled to Wuppertal and afterwards to Düsseldorf, covering the complete Rhein-Ruhr-Osten and Hauptstrecke-Rhein-Ruhr routes. I have to say, it is incredibly cool when you arrive at a station that you have never been at, but already know due to the game. When I got to Hagen Hbf first, I instantly recognised it and the similarities and of course also the differences.
    In Wuppertal, I took a ride with the suspension railway (Schwebebahn) which is incredible!

Schwelm station: Schwelm2.png
    Schwelm 1.png
    No BR 422, the 1440 runs here
    I have to admit how accurate they have made the real life version based on the game - wait...

Also saw this BR 101 pulling a (probably broken) ICE 4, which I thought looked cool:
    ICE101.png

Wuppertal Langerfeld freight train station (also very recognisable):
    Langerfeld.png

And finally, the Schwebebahn of Wuppertal. This thing is truly stunning!:
    Schwebebahn.png

Unfortunately, I did not take many pictures on Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr, but when I arrived in Essen Hbf, I instantly knew my way to the platforms :)
    And I noticed how much brighter the real Duisburg Hbf is compared to the game.

That's it for now, I had great fun yesterday. I was travelling for 14.5 hours with a total of 660 km :o

I'll update this thread if I visit any other routes

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 19
  2. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Meanwhile here in the southern part of Sweden called Skåne everyone below 18 are allowed to ride free on train,busses and trams
    That is operated by Skånetrafiken

• Like Like x 3
  3. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is really cool! But honestly, 9€ for a month in the entire country is just like free :D

• Like Like x 4
  4. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Amazing! Me & my wife paid over £5 in the UK to go 1/4 mile on a bus as the kids fancied a trip on one! Our country is just broken!

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You went up the Hauptstrecke Bochum-Dortmund/Hagen since Trains from Hagen Hbf to Bochum Hbf are routed Pass Rangierbahnhof Hagen Vorhalle which is actually off limits from Ruhr-Sieg Nord first Triangle Junction. These are ICE 42 RE4 RE16 RB40 Freight Hagen Vorhalle to Bochum Ehrenfeld then Netherlands Rotterdam via Mülheim Styrum Junction. Hagen Vorhalle Freight trains would have been a combined Wuppertal Steinbeck non Sggmrss Container trains or Wuppertal Langerfeld Sggmrss Container trains

6. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I was on tour again on Friday and actually covered 3 TSW routes on one day! I visited the eastern parts of Germany, including Leipzig with Rapid Transit, Dresden with Dresden-Riesa and also travelled on Tharandter Rampe to Chemnitz.

Again, it is so weird, but also extremely cool to be at a place you have never been, but still know well! I have to say the City Tunnel of Leipzig is absolutely stunning. I unfortunately only made it to Leipzig Markt and Hbf tief, but I plan to go there again and explore the rest. I took this photo though (was in a hurry, so it is blurred):

Markt2.png

I then took the RE 50 to Dresden via Riesa and got off at Dresden Mitte to look at this cool bridge:
    Dresden1.png

Dresden2.png
    Also I kind of thought that the 143s were not running here anymore, because they are quite old, but apparently, they really are as much as they are in TSW.

Dresden Hbf is very cool as well, I really like the concept of the lower terminus platforms, and the higher "through" platforms:
    DHbf1.png
    I then took a run on Tharandter Rampe towards Chemnitz. Nowadays, the 612 is not running here anymore. Instead, there are these BR 1440 EMUs by the private company MRB MRB.png

I still could not refrain from having a run with the BR 612 though, so I travelled over 3 hours from Glauchau to Göttingen with it and managed to take a glimpse into the drivers cab. Had a really cool day again!

So now, I have technically been on 6 routes (RSN, RRO, HRR, RT, DRA, TR). It is fun travelling around :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 14
  7. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

And what I forgot, I was in Hamburg last weekend. Only took these photos though:

Hamburg Hbf at night:
    IMG_20220619_021352.jpg

And at day:
    Screenshot 2022-06-26 204101.png

So thats another route on the list, with a total of 7. If I am correct, I am now only missing München-Augsburg, Köln-Aachen and Main-Spessart Bahn.

• Like Like x 13
  8. driverwoods#1787

Well said and for BR1440 it should arrive in game as a Deutsche Bahn Red Paint. Since the one in the picture requires a veolia transdev licence since they own MRB. If that were to be the case owners of the traffic red Deutsche Bahn version can then run them on Tharandter Rampe in place of the Silver and Green MRB. The reason to why DB BR612 doesn't run to Hof after 2012 it has to do with Reichenbach Gutenfürst Hof Electrification project. For Main Spessart Bahn you can try ICE-T Frankfurt Flughafen Wien Hbf or DB BR403 Asschaffenburg München Hbf to Lohr or DB BR445/446 Frankfurt Bamberg.

9. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

@Br425

Great idea, really cool thread! Keep ´m coming. :love:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Yes, great thread. I live near HRR, RRO and RSN so i know these routes pretty well, but exploring other routes and comparing them to your knowledge from TSW is a great idea.
    On my most familiar routes i already know how fast the train is going, all the speed limits and possible PZB triggers. Can be quite amusing if you know that it wasnt an emergency braking, but the driver didnt acknowledge a 80 limit for example. :D
    Tomorrow i will travel over MSB in my ICE to Vienna. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

What an awesome thread!

• Like Like x 2
  12. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

absolutely awesome,

Reminds me of 2012 when i went to Berlin just to ride on the 137 bus route... because it was route 92 in Omsi.

i was in Germany to collect the driving desk parts from the BR111 i'd bought, and decided that if i was doing ~700 miles to near Hanover, i may as well do the extra 200 miles to Berlin and really make the trip worthwhile.

[​IMG]

Traveled on the U7 as well, to see how well World Of Subways 2 had captured it.
    Rathaus Spandau station was as awesome as it was in the game.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing these pics. I’d love to see more of these in game vs real life shots from our German players. How envious I am of your €9 tickets. That wouldn’t even cover parking here

• Like Like x 1
  14. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

On Thursday, I was finally travelling again and this time, I made it to the Main-Spessart Bahn.

Arrival in Gemünden:
    Gemuenden1.jpg Gemuenden2.jpg

Looks just like in the game, except: Not a single Dosto +146 formation. Today, most trains running through Gemünden are the BR 440 (you can see that one in the second photo) and the Twindexx (which are more modern Dostos and EMUs, without a loco).

But not only the trains show that the TSW route is based a couple years back. The section between Heigenbrücken and Laufach has been completely rebuilt, so that the freight trains can make it up the hill much easier and without help from an extra loco.
    For that reason, Heigenbrücken has a new station:
    Heigenbrücken.jpg
    As you can see, there comes a tunnel directly behind the station. The major part of the section until Laufach is now covered by tunnels. From there though, the route is just like in TSW again.

And finally, Aschaffenburg Hbf:
    Aschaffenburg.jpg

I especially enjoyed the part shortly after leaving Gemünden, as you drive directly next to the river Main on your left and wide vineyards on your right. Had a great day again!

Now I am only missing Schnellfahrstrecke Köln and München. Funnily and by complete coincidence, I will be visiting both those routes with the ICE soon :o

• Like Like x 5
  15. driverwoods#1787

Well done and at Aschaffenburg Hbf the train there is a Baureihe 1440. Fits Tharandter Rampe Rhein Ruhr Osten Hauptstrecke Rhein Ruhr

• Like Like x 1
  16. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

I just realised I never updated this thread, I always wanted to post my summary of last summer in here. After every single train trip, I opened Google Earth at home and drew my journey of the day into the map. This is the final result (purple = 9€ ticket trips; orange = ICE (or other fast trains)):
    Sommer 2022.png
    According to Google Earth, all these trips add up to more than 12,500 km (8050 of which were only 9€ Ticket trains), so that certainly was an exciting experience for me.
    Also, I have been to at least one station of every single German route in Train Sim World. I definitely had a lot of fun!

• Like Like x 2
  17. driverwoods#1787

Let me guess you actually went on the new route Linke Rheinstrecke Koblenz Bingen Mainz Frankfurt am Main Hbf & Mittel Deutschland Verkehrsverbund Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe RE50 Nahverkehr Dresden. That German route turns out to be my most played one in game

18. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Yes, I actually even visited Bremen Hbf from Bremen-Oldenburg, I went through Bad Vilbel from Niddertalbahn and I had a full journey from Koblenz to Mainz without knowing they would be in TSW soon.

However, the Koblenz-Mainz tour was on the Rechte Rheinstrecke, I missed my RE 2 (which would have went on the Linke Rheinstrecke) and had to hop on a different train going on the other river side. It still was very beautiful.

• Like Like x 3
  19. driverwoods#1787

Speaking of the right Rhine Railway Rechte Rheinstrecke Köln Bonn Koblenz Mainz is that also by sleeper trains & ICE Trains that usually run on Linke Rheinstrecke Koblenz Bingen Mainz Frankfurt am Main Hbf Frankfurt am Main Flughafen Fernhahnhof or not? What they should do is model both otherwise the scenery would be dead

20. hiromaru

hiromaru Active Member

Thank you so much for this trip, it's really great as I can't visit far away.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I recognise the Brighton mainline there! Nice to know of another German who's been there, though I went via Paris. Glad you got that much out of the 9€ ticket, by the way :)

• Like Like x 1
  22. Br425

Br425 Well-Known Member

Well spotted! I went on holiday to England with the Interrail pass, so I could travel around as I liked on selected days. I always wanted to visit Brighton and this was the perfect opportunity. And since the Brighton mainline is in TSW, that small trip paid off even more :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Becks_23

Becks_23 New Member

Yesterday I came back from my easter holidays. I went from Hannover to Zagreb with an ICE via Cologne to Stuttgart and the EuroNight from Stuttgart to Zagreb. Thus I drove on 6 (!) TSW DLCs in one day and 7 in total...
    RSN very very briefly to Hagen
    RRO from Hagen to Wuppertal
    SKA very briefly from Köln Hbf to Hansaring
    LFR from Koblenz to Mainz
    SMA from Augsburg to München-Pasing
    BRS from Rosenheim to Salzburg
    And on the way back again with the EN 414 from Zagreb to Stuttgart and then with an ICE via Frankfurt to Hannover:
    KWG from Fulda to Kassel

Oh btw DTG, how about Stuttgart-Ulm (Geißlinger Steige!!!) or the Tauernbahn as DLCs??? ;-)

24. 25262

25262 Well-Known Member

Stuttgart Ulm would be hellfire with 218s

• Like Like x 1
  25. driverwoods#1787

How about the high speed line between the two a portion has been operational since 2022. Sadly there is a steep tunnel on the High Speed Line which means you would need to grab two electric locomotives to run freight. Think of it as going Max taps and 130% traction on the 155 inside Schnellfahrstrecke Hannover Würzburg by rolling back on some sections

26. 25262

25262 Well-Known Member

No where near as interesting and does not go to Stuttgart

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. driverwoods#1787

OK then but in 2-3 years the High Speed Line will actually reach Stuttgart Hbf once the Stuttgart 21 project is complete. If you are wondering the conventional line Stuttgart Göppingen Ulm it's actually commemorated by the model Railway company Märklin Group. Oddly they make almost all the German/Austrian Rolling Stock we have in the game.

28. Becks_23

Becks_23 New Member

Oh please not another HSL in this case Ulm-Wendlingen... way too boring...

• Like Like x 1
  29. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

damn man, if I was at home at THIS VERY MOMENT, I would go through all my pictures of Vienna and surroundings and make a thread like this :) got pics from most major stations in Vienna, a couple of Wiener Neustadt and others... nice pics tho, makes me want to travel Germany too :D

anyway, you have inspired me, maybe I should make a couple runs around Vienna's many stations and take some nice pics for y'all, so you see the cool Austrian rolling stock <3