Maerdy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JJTimothy, Jun 26, 2022.

1. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'm toying with getting one of the Maerdy packages while they're 70% off in the sale. I'm not especially a steam buff, although I do enjoy driving kettles now and then, but I am a big fan of The Weardale and Tessdale Network in the '60s and those J94s would look a lot more appropriate in the many colliery sidings than the Class 08s that are usually used. So a question or three:

1. Do I understand correctly that, although they are listed as loco' add-ons, Memories of Maerdy and Return to Maerdy include the Maerdy route- perhaps with some differences?

2. Is one package worth having over the other? That battery loco' in Return does look cute but the ST included has fewer liveries to choose from.

3. For that matter is either worth getting at all? Or is it worth having both?

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I recommend buying J94 Memories of Maerdy first.

Both DLC contain a different version of the Maerdy branch. Memories of Maerdy depicts the route before the Beeching Axe, lots of sidings, double track, passenger stations - a very beautiful line.

The Return to Maerdy includes the route in its final days, lots of sidings removed, single track.

Remember on the store page you can check out each manual to get more information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Return to Maerdy only has scenarios at the top end of the branch too, between the colliery and the sorting sidings.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I purchased Return to Maerdy not for the Scenarios but for the Battery Loco.

And I never by any DLC based on the number of scenarios it comes with

5. JJTimothy

Only for Return it seems.

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You see the Spike does not know everything ;)

7. JJTimothy

Hah!

It occurs to me that there's those cute little Hawthorn saddle tanks in the Marketplace. Anyone know anything about them? Are they the same as Invincible in Isle of Wight?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am certain they are the same. I do have them, I shall try and remember to check when I get home. They are nice little locos and probably worth getting if they are on sale.

9. JJTimothy

If anyone's wondering I bought Return to Maerdy and one of the Hawthorne Leslie saddle tank packs and those are the same locomotive as Invicible in Isle of Wight. Thanks for the notes.