How To Completely Re-install Dlc

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kosti.nuuja, Jun 28, 2022.

1. kosti.nuuja

kosti.nuuja Well-Known Member

I have recently messed up with Köln - Koblenz DLC and I have tried to re-install it with no results. Is there any way to bring broken DLC to original state? I have searched help from internet but I have found nothing helpful yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

Do not really understand what you mean by messed it up.

2 things to do.
    Untick on steam and then tick it again.
    Or completely reinstall the whole game.

3. kosti.nuuja

I downloaded an upgraded version of Köln - Koblenz to make the route look better. It worked well, but I have to press TAB at every signal to pass them.

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Two methods. Untick the DLC in Steam game properties, wait till it's finished. Retick it.

Or do a file verification - may take very, very long depending on the amount of content you have, but will bring back the route in its original state.

Be careful with 3rd party upgrades that do not install themselves as a separate route or overwrite assets.

I guess you are referring to the TrainWorks Upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2022
  5. kosti.nuuja

I have tried the steam method many times without results (even clear cache won't help).

6. kosti.nuuja

7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

In the Steam Library, right-click the game, select Manage->Browse local files. The game folder will open.

Open the folder Content\Routes\00000047-0000-0000-0000-000000002014 and make a screenshot
    Open the folder Assets\DTG\CologneKoblenz and make a screenshot.

Use a Listview display for the screenshots, no big clunky icons please.

Post the screenshots here.

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok, I've downloaded the pack and checked what it installs.

In the folder Content\Routes\00000047-0000-0000-0000-000000002014 delete these folders/files:
    kk1.png
    You should only have the files MainContent.ap, maybe some xyzScenario.ap and possibly a Scenarios folder left.

In the folder Assets\DTG\CologneKoblenz delete these folders and files:
    kk2.png
    You should have only a file named CologneKoblenzAssets.ap left in there.

This will restore your route.

If all else fails, delete everything from those two folders and do "Verify integrity of game files" via Steam game props->Local Files menu. Make sure the DLC is ticked before doing so. May take minutes up to several hours, depending on your amount of content.

9. kosti.nuuja

That worked. Thanks for help!

10. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I would add a middle stage to this process to be thorough. In Manage my DLC untick the route, exit and wait a few seconds while Steam does it thing for the uninstall.

Then before you reinstall start Windows' File Explorer (or your file manager of choice), find what's left of the route folder in your Railworks directory and delete it. There will be something left and that can scupper reinstalls aimed at repairing broken files, scenarios and routes. The reinstall process should then start with a blank slate.

Unfortunately TS doesn't give route folders very helpful names but after digging through my own installation, I think the Köln - Koblenz folder is called 00000047-0000-0000-0000-000000002014.

Hope this is helpful.

11. JJTimothy

Ah... well that may be useful if you have to reinstall anything in future.

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Bear in mind that other DLC like ScenarioPacks or JT for example can install their files too in these folders. This will be total chaos for the many cluttered files JT is installing (into the Kuju folder e.g. - should be forbidden unless there is a very good reason for it - you can change every path in your assets and make own folders for them, JT made a lot mistakes - their routes are fine though). If you delete everything in there and just untick the base DLC you'll lose your scenario packs, JT assets (because they are still ticked and therefore installed in Steam's logic) and have to identify each pack that installs there, too, and untick and retick those - Can be messy for someone not knowing the pack names or being able to use SteamDB.info. Also deleting everything will make you lose your own Scenarios. No need to delete the Scenarios folder.

So I'd advise to use your method only if it is followed by a File Verification - because this will verify ALL ticked DLC including the manually deleted. A simple retick can mean loss of data. You'll then see threads like "Scenario missing" "Assets missing" and stuff.

That's why I was advising the OP to just delete the files that were installed by the KölnKoblenz v2. Due to the original Assets and DLC being in an .ap file, this was successful.

13. JJTimothy

Indeed- I should have added that.

14. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Torf
    Torf
    If you have a corrupt route it is only necessary to untick that route and as JJT says wait until STEAM tells it is uninstalled and then re-tick and it is installed afresh. Unticking removes the route Content/asset files from your PC and then re-ticking reinstalls them.
    After you have unticked the route check its Content/Asset Folder and they should only contain third-party stuff. If this is not the case Steam/DTG needs to be informed.
    Ticking and unticking CANNOT remove 3rd party data - Steam has no algorithm to do that. In fact, no process in steam can remove 3rd party data it can only modify or replace different files to those contained in its master database.
    Any JT file should NOT affect the re-install of any route - that is not how 3rd party scenario add-ons work.
    Sure your method will definitely work but IMO it is overkill and JJT's method is just as valid and quicker.
    IMO File verification should only be used as a last resort and if you have a stable system that will be very rare indeed. Unless you use the editor a lot!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

When you uninstall the route from Steam, delete its folder entirely. That removes any leftover files that may corrupt reinstallation. See if the reinstalled route then works and back it up before applying any changes to it.

This applies to Assets and Content folders. Save any custom scenarios that you want to keep before deleting, they should be fine.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

JT and AP install Reskins of default Kuju products
    But if you have a route that has some third party enhancements - as in this case - just removing and reacquiring the route.ap file would not remove the enhancements and the game would read the same files again - which is why that did not work for the OP the first time.

17. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Exactly. That's why I recommend deleting folders manually only if you know exactly which files are doing what.

I try to avoid a File Verification at all costs, would lock my PC for a whole day probably with 652 DLC.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
  18. Cyclone

Wait, you have HOW many?

May Lord Data have mercy on your bits.

19. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

All safe and secure. External HDD backup. :)

Yes my frugal lifestyle and good salary allow me to spend money on my favourite model railroad which is TSC. Other than that I'm enjoying fishing, cycling and swimming, not spending too much money on useless gadgets or latest technology (which is not always better). My car's a 17 years old Mercedes W203 Diesel running fine and close to 500,000 kms now... I like things that stand the test of time ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2022
  20. Peter Hayes

Peter749006
    But then it is not the fault of the DTG route and no amount of file verification will fix the issue unless you removed the ADDED ON Enhancements.

21. Peter Hayes

I was merely referring to the best method of repairing DTG Routes/Assets taken from the OP's first post:
    My comments did not relate to any enhancements added.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Peter H.
    I understand that - If you wish to restore a route to it's default condition then removing everything from the Routes Folder - apart from any scenarios - would be the easy way.

23. zipple

zipple New Member

I got this,..

24. Cyclone

I have had scenarios mess up or double themselves for some reason before. I fixed it by extracting the AP file and deleting the affected scenario, then removed the AP file. Was neat seeing the route with the scenario missing for some reason. Restored everything to normal and it was fine after that. So the answer I am giving, naturally, is to uninstall, delete everything except scenarios (should happen anyway), load the game, quit, reinstall. If the issue is mods, just delete the mods and keep the AP file. If the mods are to something without an AP file, just reinstall it.