Class 720/5 For The Geml

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by twiggy#9635, Jun 3, 2022.

1. twiggy#9635

twiggy#9635 Well-Known Member

Hello, today I would like to suggest the Class 720 “Aventra” for TS Classic.

The Class 720 is part of the Alstom (previously Bombardier) Aventra family and is being introduced to the Greater Anglia Network to replace the Class 317, 321, 360 and Class 379 units on the suburban commuter services. The units consist of 5 coaches and would be perfect for GEML Route considering the ATS and Gü Studios are currently working on a 745/755 pack, so having the 720 would allow the entire modern GA fleet to be represented.

what do you think, I’d love to know :)

2857D424-DE95-4D5B-B6CE-027A5DEFA55E.jpeg C132594B-74A8-482B-AFC2-00B3D71E6349.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  2. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

Yes and yes again. ATS are also working on an updated GEML which I believe will go all the way to Norwich. I don't know whether any branches are being added, but 720s and 345s would complete the modernisation of a great route. For GEML fans there's also a backdated NSE-era Clacton to London route on the way including the first AC slamdoor unit in TSC, the awesome Class 309.

These really are nice to commute on and are surprisingly comfortable for a new unit. I really love the flicker of sounds from underneath as they stop in a station. The only downside to them is what now appears to have been a case of not anticipating a future of home working (which was becoming popular even before the pandemic) and going for maximum capacity. Wider 2 + 2 seats would have been nicer.

Back to TSC, someone has modelled the Mk1 Aventras (710/345/720) and I've seen photos of them in production, including a modelled interior of the 345. That was two years ago, so something is in the works, hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
  3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

That is interesting news, I shall be looking out for more about this. Hopefully other AC slamdoor units may follow.

We are getting some Aventras around the West Midlands soonish it will be interesting to compare them to the class 172's. They look quite nice for a modern train.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wivenswold

I'm quite jealous of the WM Aventras, the front end is really cool. Though I do also love the bubble-fronted ones down here in Essex.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I can't stand the seats on the 720s somehow they simultaneously take up too much of the corridor and are too narrow, and they're too solid. That being said I was thinking last time I rode on one that the ride itself was very smooth. I definitely prefer the FLIRTs comfort wise though.

I'm definitely thoroughly interested in these new GEML versions, the GEML is one of only a couple reasons I ever bother to play TSC. The 309 especially will be awesome to see in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wivenswold

The 5 seats across thing was to provide seats for more passengers without needing to extend the platforms ever further. It was, in my humble opinion, a short-sighted idea even before the pandemic, home working and hot-desking were being proposed or introduced for many city companies. Now that passenger numbers have settled down to 60-70% of pre-pandemic it's looking like 2+2 seating would have been adequate. On the plus side, the GEML are getting the 745/1s so some Ipswich and Clacton services will have very comfortable seats!

Yeah GEML is my favourite, we'll have 1990 to Clacton and 2022 to Norwich versions soon!

7. twiggy#9635

I’ll be honest with you, I do prefer the Class 360s when they served the GEML but I have grown to liking the 720s and travelling on them is super fun, and I love being able to sit by the drivers cab (the AWS beep is a wonderful sensory thing for me)

8. Tank621

I'm struggling to remember what travelling on the 360s was actually like tbh, I guess because I went to uni and then you-know-what happened it's been quite a few years since I rode on one

• Like Like x 1
  9. twiggy#9635

They were quite comfortable from my recollection, the traction motors on them and other Desiro trains were my favourite on the Network and the door open chime was nice sounding as well

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tank621

It was certainly nice to have a little more variety in trains in East Anglia. It will be rather dull when the Greater Anglia fleet only consists of Aventras and FLIRTs. I won't rattle on about how old trains are better than new trains but it was nice to have a variety of types on each line.

• Like Like x 2
  11. twiggy#9635

I will agree with you that the variety was indeed nice although admittedly the most I ever did on the WAML was from Cambridge to Cambridge North so I could go on the Class 379. But as much as I will miss the old stock I have to admit that the new stock in my opinion is suitable enough to replace the old (not to mention I love the UK FLIRTs and I’m so glad to be seeing more pop up across the network)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tank621

Oh yeah, the FLIRTs really feel like the future of the railways

13. london#6712

london#6712 Active Member

I would love to see all of these trains and an upgraded route for GEML, But I would like to see all of this on TSW3 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wivenswold

I should correct my post above. I'm told that the 745/1s are staying on West Anglia services for the foreseeable and the plan to kit out 20 720/1s with more luggage space has been abandoned.

15. josiah

josiah New Member

why dont we have it for tsw4.. would be much better

• Like Like x 1
  16. berb manny

berb manny New Member

I think the class 720 would be great for TSC, adding to the GA family and letting more realistic scenarios be played as class 321's are being taken out of service. It would also be great as extra consists could be made with this, London Overground 710's could be mirrored from this or even a class 345? I've been hoping this train would be added to TSC for a long time and lets hope it does!

17. Wivenswold

There's no reason why DTG can't make the 720 for TSC and TSW. Package it for a new route in TSW.
    Then release a TSC version for their existing GEML route.

Even better, release the ATS Updated GEML TSC route through Steam with 720s and 745s to replace the very badly dated, error-filled, buggy version from 2013 that they're still selling at full price even though it only comes with a very poor Class 360.

18. Wivenswold

I understand that a previous comment on these forums about problems getting a license for the routes the 720 runs is true and therefore it's unlikely to be made by DTG. Alan at ATS said he'd loved to make a 720 "one day" recently, but they've still got the Flirt packs to finish so it will be a long wait I'm afraid.

19. Wivenswold

I agree. I think their route's dependence on other payware is the limiting factor for ATS on TSC. They're at their best when revamping and extending existing routes.
    Though they've also got a route coming in TSW so that will be via Steam. I understand it's using "existing rolling stock" but with the 158, 700, 710 and 800s recently coming into the game, it's widened the possibilities.