Mbta's Haverhill Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kiyoko91, Apr 26, 2022.

1. kiyoko91

kiyoko91 Well-Known Member

The MBTA's Haverhill Line is a 33 mile network runs between Boston's North Station & Reading or Haverhill with 14 stations. It started with the Boston & Maine railroad as a commuter service from Haverhill & Dover to Boston in the past. Amtrak Downeaster service also shared on this route between Boston & Brunswick, Maine. Crossing over the Charles & Merrimack Rivers. Train #204 & 218 run express after Ballardvale (southbound) & #217 run express after North Station then local after Ballardvale in the afternoon. Some HL trains terminate @ Reading. The rolling stock equipment: 2013-14 MPI HSP46 (2000-2039) on the front going north. Coaching fleet on the front going south: 2012-14 Hyundai Rotem (800-826 & 1800-1827). The Amtrak Downeaster fleet has four amfleet coaches & EMD F40PH, a non powered locos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  2. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t mind seeing this line on TSW 2 someday in the future.

3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on and for HSP-46 it can also give NEC Boston Providence layers only on 9th gen consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

This may sound a bit ambitious, but it would also be awesome if DTG included the Lowell line with this. Then you would get longer runs for Amtrak trains since they run on exclusive track that connects the 2 routes. I think it would be a really interesting concept for them to do that

• Like Like x 1
  5. mrchuck

I would definitely like to see the Lowell line on TSW 2 and the Haverhill line as well on TSW 2 with the Hsp46 locomotive and the bilevel coach’s it would definitely be great to see more of Massachusetts on TSW 2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. horchata

horchata New Member

yes please

7. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

What they could do is break it up like RRO or HRR where Downeaster services run on the other MBTA lines before linking up without the entire lines. The other lines can have ai trains or playable trains if possible. Maybe we could also get some more rolling stock like the GP40MC or MP36 even though MBTA doesn’t have too many MP36s

8. tehangrybird345

It would be a lot but they could also extend the route a few stations for Amtrak and add some CSX services with the C40-8 (basically a hood unit dash 8 rather than a wide cab, those particular locomotives are common on the line)

9. mrchuck

Maybe they’ll announce the MBTA Hsp46 locomotive with the bilevel coach’s with the Haverhill line to the next roadmap or Worcester line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tehangrybird345

If the line gets added, it also runs parallel to the Orange Line and shares some stops, that could possibly be included, it also runs parallel to Boston Sprinter so we can see ai trains on the Northeast Corridor. This would make the route huge but still very nice and it would almost feel like an American Haupstrecker Rhine Ruhr

11. mojo3445

mojo3445 New Member

hey look the western route, 99.9999% of conductors and engineers absolutely hate this route :)

on a real note, only the 1600 and 1500 cab cars run north present day. consists are comet cars and either a MBB coach or Kawasaki bi level 900 series. engines are mainly the GP40MC's. the HSP's are more seen down south. amtrak Downeaster runs 5 coaches now. p42 on one end and cabbage on the other.

12. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

I grew up in Wakefield, MA. It's one of the stops on the Haverhill Line. That would be so cool to see this in the game

13. mrchuck

I wonder if the Haverhill line will be the next American route for TSW 2 in the future.

14. mrchuck

Could we see the Haverhill/Lowell line with the Hsp46 locomotive and the bilevel coach’s sometime soon in the future on TSW 2?

15. wcwood92

It would be cool because they are connected by the Wildcat Branch. This carries Amtrak's Downeaster service.
    The potential for multiple locomotives is there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tehangrybird345

I definitely think the route should be set up like HRR or RRO where the “S Bahn” line is the Haverhill line and the other line is the line the Downeaster goes on. The line can end at Haverhill so It’s not too long but there is still variety for commuter, regional, and freight

17. tehangrybird345

But the orange line should be left functional if we ever get a full length orange line route for substitution or the scenario planner. The route would feel less busy without it

18. tehangrybird345

And of course the extra rolling stock should substitute onto Boston Sprinter and vice versa, I’ve been to both North and South station plenty of times and it feels way too empty with just the f40 and single level. It’s much more diverse with different locomotives and even single and bi-level coaches mixed

19. tehangrybird345

Sorry for another reply but personally I think the rolling stock should be

MBTA HSP-46
    BI Level Coaches
    Amtrak P42DC
    Amtrak F40PH NPCU
    CSX C40-8
    And of course substitution from BP and SPG

20. Mateiule

Mateiule Active Member

C40-8 will probably just be from the already existing DLC. What I need, however, is the GP40 back (and for fun, why not the original 3 SPG scenarios too?)

21. wcwood92

What would be really cool, and this is just wishful thinking, is both lines with the Wildcat Branch.
    The Haverhill Line is 33 miles and 14 stations. The Lowell Line is 25 miles and 9 stations.
    They both run out of North Station in Boston, and they split in the city before any stops are made.

The Wildcat Branch is a 3 mile connection that comes off the Lowell Line after Wilmington, connecting it to the Haverhill Line. It has no in service stations.
    Geographically the The Lowell and Haverhill lines are very close to each other at this point.

The Amtrak Downeaster runs along the Lowell Line, stops in Woburn, then continues north until the Wildcat Branch. At this point it switches over using the branch, and then continues its run along the Haverhill Line. This is done because of the Downeaster's express nature and its need to avoid single track areas of the Haverhill Line.

All this would equal a route of about 60 miles and 23 stations. Not too far off from some other routes DTG have made in the past. Only difference is these miles wouldn't be consecutive because it's two different lines.
    For comparison it's longer than London to Brighton by about 10 miles, but it has 6 fewer stations, less complex infrastructure, and WAY less traffic.

The most complex area would probably be the interlockings into North Station. Also complex would be where the Haverhill Line parallels the Orange Line through Medford and Malden, and the Lowell Line's below grade run through Somerville, where it now parallel's the new Green Line Extension. Aside from that, a lot of the scenery is suburban and the stations are simple in design. The appearance of the Stoughton Line on Boston Sprinter is very typical for much of the MBTA's commuter rail network.

Gameplay would be the MBTA's timetable service on the Lowell and Haverhill Lines. Trains do full runs and short turns depending on the time. Some services might also might bypass stations but don't quote me on that. There would be two complete lines that allow the player to complete a real life service and decide whether they want to turn it around and run it back. For me that's what makes my favorite routes stand out.

Also available would be the Downeaster services between Boston and Haverhill via the Lowell Line and Wildcat Branch. These stop once in Woburn and AI could take them off map at Haverhill.

Potential scenario for the Downeaster would be a service rerouted over the entire Haverhill Line due to maintenance work on the Lowell Line. This is something that has really happened in the past.
    There would be no service to Woburn on this scenario.

tehangrybird345 I second your suggested rolling stock list, adding only the amfleet coaches for the Downeaster. Another potential would be the GP40 locomotive for the MBTA. It's a common sight on the north side lines.

In conclusion I think it's a reasonable suggestion because when you look at some of the factors that contribute to the complexity of a route (infrastructure, scenery, traffic patterns and density) I believe it's on par with work DTG has done in the past.
    I also think the network style feel would make for interesting game play, allowing the player to really feel like they're a part of a larger operation. It's a feature that makes Riesa-Dresden so fun to play.
    If it's done right it will also bring new locomotives, which is something we desperately need in the game.

(Also it goes through my hometown ;))

• Like Like x 2
  22. MassachusettsF40PH

MassachusettsF40PH New Member

If this route is added, the best thing to do would be to leave out the HSP46 for the GP40MC, and add the HSP46 to Boston Sprinter, a line in which they are far more prevalent in reality. So have the GP40MC and the F40PH-3C for the Haverhill Line (or any other potential north side line, such as the Lowell Line), while having the HSP46 and F40PH-3C for Boston Sprinter and any other potential future south side line (such as the Worcester Line). This will make the routes feel much more like their respective prototypes.

EDIT: along with the GP40MC, they should also add the standard north side single level cars and cab cars, along with no more than one bilevel coach per tran set, usually located right behind the locomotive.

GP40MC Photos:
    Front and Right side: https://live.staticflickr.com/6220/6279210260_aaa3592186_b.jpg
    Left, Rear, and Top: http://s3.amazonaws.com/rrpa_photos/75867/IMG_5991.JPG

North Side Single Level Car Photos:
    Blind Trailer Coach: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f3/MBTA_240_at_West_Natick_station,_May_2017.JPG/1024px-MBTA_240_at_West_Natick_station,_May_2017.JPG
    Cab Car: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...0_at_new_Littleton_station.JPG?20130731004717

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  23. mrchuck

I hope the Worcester line is coming to TSW 2 with the Hsp46 locomotive and the bilevel coach’s sometime soon in the future.

24. tehangrybird345

I live on the north side so I’m aware of how common the GP40s are, they are especially common on the Newburyport/Rockport line

25. tehangrybird345

But you can’t have the Downeaster without the P42s, I certainly respect everyone’s ideas but I think I’m still going to stand by my list

26. mrchuck

If they did Amtrak Downeaster I hope it will be going from Boston to Dover or Boston to Portland.

• Like Like x 1
  27. tehangrybird345

That would probably be too long, Boston to Haverhill is most likely but I would like it to go longer to Saco

28. mrchuck

I wonder if they’ll include Lowell MBta commuter rail trains as well.

29. tehangrybird345

I think they should at least make the orange line tracks and stations function able for scenario planner so that if an orange line route ever comes we get orange line layers as the Boston section would feel empty without it. Plus some commuter rail stations link to the orange line

30. mrchuck

I hope the Haverhill line will come soon with the addition of the Hsp46 locomotive and the bilevel coach’s to TSW 2 in the future.

31. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Imo it also should appear on 8th gen consoles.