Chiltern Mainline Nse: London - Princes Risborough

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tubespotter, Jun 28, 2022.

1. tubespotter

tubespotter Member

Race through the iconic Chilterns in the brand-new Networker Turbo units in Train Sim World 2: Chiltern Mainline South. Experience iconic NSE traction with a rich mix of fast and stopping workings on this iconic route.

History

The Chiltern Mainline was constructed primarily by the original Great Western Railway in phases between 1852 and 1910. During it’s heyday, many prestigious trains ran from both London Paddington (via Oxford) and from London Marylebone (via Neasden) operated by the GWR and GCR respectively. After nationalisation in 1948, BR began modernising the line and by 1963 all local service were operated by Class 115 DMUs. Until the 115s’ withdrawal in 1992, the line was in a steady decline into a state of disrepair. In 1986, the line fell under the control of Network SouthEast who rejuvenated the line with total resignalling and brand new 75/90mph Class 165 DMUs. Nowadays, services are operated by Chiltern Railways with a motley fleet of DMUs and a few Class 68-hauled diagrams.

Stations and route length

The 36mi 22ch long route features 14 stations at, from south to north, London Marylebone, Wembley Stadium, Sudbury & Harrow Road, Sudbury Hill Harrow, Northolt Park, South Ruislip, West Ruislip, Denham, Denham Golf Club, Gerrads Cross, Seer Green*, Beaconsfield, High Wycombe, Saunderton and Princes Risborough

*Seer Green station is now called Seer Green and Jordans

Rolling stock and service patterns

The route would be set in 1994 at the very end of NSE control of the area. All services were operated by Class 165 75mph DMUs (DMU (N) in the WTT) which operated mostly Class 2 stopping services on the line.

Class 165 (NSE ‘Toothpaste’)

2Gxx Marylebone - High Wycombe (1tph)*

1Gxx Marylebone - Birmingham Moor St (1tph)

2Gxx Paddington - High Wycombe (1tpd in each direction)

Service headcodes (ie ‘11 - Birmingham Moor St’) can be found in the relevant WTT

Timings researched using the 1994-05 WTT Section CG

*During peak hours, 2 services extend to Aylesbury via Princes Risborough

Potential layers could include the 72 stock on the Jubilee Line tracks alongside the line between LU Finchley Road and LU Dollis Hill. Whilst the services had been operated by 1983 stock since 1983, I feel it is still better than having such highly frequented lines empty. These would be AI-only trains.

Summary

Train Sim World 2: Chiltern Mainline South features:

- Highly detailed and backdated Class 165 DMU in Network SouthEast livery

- A multitude of fast and stopping services

- Authentically replicated stations such as London Marylebone

Pricing

Clearly, a 36mi route with one train cannot be sold at the full price of £24.99 so I would suggest a price of £19.99, similar to Rivet Games’ LZN route

Route map

upload_2022-6-28_21-14-58.jpeg
    This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

A great suggestion but extension to Banbury might be better. The Class 165/0 was geared for 75mph running as opposed to Thames Line Class 165/1 and 166 units which are 90mph capable. More recent fleet additions are the Class 168 and 170 units which can manage 100mph running. Another inclusion for this suggestion is the line from Old Oak Common via Greenford to Northolt Junction which although rarely used, is part of Chiltern Mainline operation.
    Lastly although unused by passenger services from 1939 and freight since around 1964, I think it would be nice to see the Uxbridge High Street branch which leaves the mainline between West Ruislip and Denham. Quite how to include this is the awkward part as it predated the dmu era by a number of years.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I would like to see a route out of Marylebone, but maybe to Aylesbury instead so we get to drive some Metropolitan line services up to Amersham as a bonus :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. tubespotter

tubespotter Member

London - Amersham with an A stock and some form of Chiltern stock would be brill. Not sure on the mileage tho

5. twiggy#9635

twiggy#9635 Well-Known Member

I’ve said it before on this forum and I’ll happily say it again, anything with Network SouthEast has my vote :)

• Like Like x 1