Route Suggestion: Swindon-newport Via Bristol Parkway & Temple Meads

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by argyle_smurf, Jun 22, 2022.

1. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

A suggestion I've had on my mind for a long time now, but lacked the time to articulate it effectively:
    A route running from Swindon to Newport (or Cardiff Central if we're feeling brave) that runs through both the Box and Badminton lines could provide some excellent variety while still having sufficient length to keep interest (approx 40 min from Swindon to Temple Meads, similar from Swindon to Newport via Parkway) FGW+Route+Map.png
    Again, if we're feeling brave we could suggest Gloucester and Weston as well, and I include them on the map for completeness sake but I suspect I'd be rather ambitious by suggesting the lot.

Trains that could be lightly modified or ported directly from elsewhere:
    GWE 166
    GWE HST (Modified to Castle Class)
    DB Class 66 (Reskin To Freightliner also an option)
    Class 387 "Reskin" into GWR

Trains that could be added:
    GWR 800 (801, 802) (Bi mode Diesel/AC Electric, and cause to use both methods depending on route)
    gwe800.jpg
    GWR 158 Two or Three car variants.
    40760225423_9b5d6f59e3_b.jpg

Route Highlights:

100mph express run from Swindon to Parkway then Newport
    Severn Tunnel
    Full utilization of the bi-modal class 800, electric through Parkway but Diesel through Bath
    Twisty, scenic single-line Severn Beach branch.
    Stopping services with 166 or Castle between Bath and Newport
    The need to change ends of a set at Temple Meads as part of a service from Bath-Parkway/Newport
    Multiple depot settings, both modern and historic
    Freight services common on route, with loops that they are regularly held in for passing express services
    High variety of stations, from modern Bristol Parkway to victorian Temple Meads

Services Available:

Swindon - Newport as part of 1Bxx and 1Lxx Swansea - Paddington services
    Swindon - Bristol Temple Meads as part of 1Axx and 1Cxx Bristol Temple Meads - Paddington services
    Bath - Newport as part of 1Fxx Portsmouth - Cardiff Central services
    Bath - Bristol Parkway as part of various Westbury/Weymouth - Gloucester/Great Malvern services
    Bristol Temple Meads - Severn Beach branch services
    Bristol Temple Meads - Filton Abbey Wood/Bristol Parkway local stopping services
    Freight services could utilise the Bristol Parkway Freightliner depot, the Avonmouth Docks and the mainline for longer journeys
    St. Phillips Marsh depot is behind Temple Meads and Stoke Gifford IET depot is directly behind Parkway Station for depot services

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
  2. argyle_smurf

Some of the variety of stations on this route: iStock-609809766.jpg df5c937c49a.jpg Bristol_Parkway_railway_station_MMB_07.jpg Redland_railway_station_MMB_09_143620.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

This'd be a really great addition. Not only because it's a great route but because they could then create the missing link from Swindon to Reading, and presto! The first fully complete mainline in TSW2.

• Like Like x 3
  4. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

We can only dream..

• Like Like x 1
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Your suggestion can be merged with GWML Reading to Bristol Temple Meads 81 mi 86mi with Branch line Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway. Forming a Bundle called GWML London Paddington to Bristol and Newport

6. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

How long is this route

7. argyle_smurf

Approx 60 miles Newport to Swindon, but with the extra mileage of temple meads and Severn beach probably just over a hundred

8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'd personally do away with the Bristol parkway section and just have the line via temple meads along with the severn branch to reduce the mileage. (AI only trains could use this section via portals). Would make it a little more manageable but still include the interesting sections.

I'd buy it so it's a yes from me.

9. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

what about London Commuter? that is the full Brighton Mainline

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Some people would say that a mainline has to have intercity class trains running on it, whereas the Brighton Mainline doesn't. At best it's a regional route that people call a mainline

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

Swindon to Temple Meads via Bath Spa - 41
    Swindon to Bristol Parkway - 34
    Parkway to Temple Meads - 6
    Newport to Parkway - 22
    TOTAL - 103 miles (distances taken from RTT)

• Like Like x 1
  12. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

ah ok

13. argyle_smurf

I see what you're saying but that would effectively be two routes, since no single train runs from Swindon to Newport via Bristol Temple Meads in one go. Well, ok, 1C00 does it at silly AM but that's not really the point. I realise it's an ambitious suggestion but the network nature of it is what would appeal, like my favourite German routes that have multiple paths within

14. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Theres an hourly Bath to Newport train IIRC so we'd get some overlap on. Im not against the full network just believe it might be too much to be a cost effective option and if it was a choice between no route or a route with out the Parkway section, Id opt for the latter.

It would be a solid route either way with a lot of variety and service patterns to choose from.
    Its a top suggestion IMO

• Like Like x 1
  15. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

You could argue that the GWML is now more of a high speed commuter line. Especially if the Rumours of the Cardiff to Paddingtons going over to 387s to free up some 80x to clear out the castles come to pass

16. argyle_smurf

Honestly that would make a lot of sense, I don't know why we don't have more than one 387 a day each way as it is. Would be even better if they'd be brave and chuck a twelve car on it

17. ARuscoe

Well hopefully in about ten years time that will be true of all current mainlines in the UK given HS2 should wipe out all intercity services South East of Birmingham... That would leave GEML and ECML

18. argyle_smurf

As the timetable gets ever stronger this is still a solid suggestion, especially with the 158 currently in production.

19. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Really excellent idea why not make it run Newport to reading via Swindon 97 Mi 36 chains since I used railmiles engine for it . Comes into versions present day or 2015 timetable and merge with GWE that way we can run an entire 133 mi 214km run from London Paddington to Newport in Wales.