We Need A Modern Northern Route!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lil jj, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

3/11 english routes are based in the north which are all based in the 20th century with slow and old trains, no modern route. And most of the southern routes are based on third-rail which is getting boring now, I don't care about electrostars anymore! In the north there are some scenic routes still using semaphore signals [settle to carlisle railway, one of the most scenic railways in the UK], also high speed electrified railways including the ecml and wcml with speeds up to 125mph [which is way higher than the 90mph third-rail routes in the south]. There are also some cool trains like the class 801 'azuma' which is diesel and electric [I know this is used in the south too], the class 185, class 195, class 331, class 333, class 158, etc.
    Just saying we need a northern route based at present day, Instead of the boring old third-rail electrostars which are pretty much exactly the same. The north needs more love. #modernnorthernroute
    I hope you are reading this thread dtg, if you make a route in the north of england based at present day, I wouldn't know what to say except dtg is an absolute legend! I'll also buy it!

• Like Like x 3
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

We really are needing something which isn't electrostar and although it may be a controversial view I love the Azumas and look forward for the day we will see them in TSW but like you say anything without an electrostar away from the south will do the job.

• Like Like x 3
  3. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Maybe suggest an actual route

4. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I know I'd prefer older routes but anything in the North, particularly in the North West will be greatly appreciated by me. TransPennine Express especially would be fun, I'd love to run a 68 in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

How about the Tyne Valley Line or Modern NTP

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Something around York would be very nice

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Agreed

8. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Maybe not a modern ntp since it already exists [just different trains, signals and speed limits]. But the tyne valley line seems pretty good, not that fast, and the class 158, class 156 and class 142 will be great additions to tsw2!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

We could have manchester-liverpool which is 31 miles [so could add a branch line to it]. There is also another leeds-manchester victoria which is different to northern trans-pennine which is already in tsw2. This one goes a slightly different way and is more commuter than express. You could have the class 195 , the class 150 [I am surprised that they are still running the 150s, I thought they didn't run on the line but I actually saw one on this route just recently] and the class 180 does services to london kings cross from bradford, but in this route, only as far as halifax, so the class 180 doesn't have to be added but credit to dtg if they do .
    upload_2022-7-1_7-20-28.png
    This is the northern trans-pennine route which already exists.
    upload_2022-7-1_7-21-41.png
    This my proposal, the route is a bit more to the north than the current route, and what is special about this route [which I am pretty sure doesn't happen on any other routes], is that at bradford interchange you will have to change ends and carry on like that for the rest of the journey.
    The route is 49 miles, but could include neville hill depot which could add a couple more miles to it

10. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

We could also have the hope valley line. It’s a scenic but diverse route with semaphores. My suggestion is in my signature.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

I had a look at your thread, that looks like a very nice route with good trains. yh that would be brilliant too :) p.s credit for how much detail you put in to your thread

• Like Like x 1
  12. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Perhaps something to/from Blackpool?
    Perfect excuse to model the world famous Tower.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

So long as the tramway also included. However this is a case where going back a few years would be better. When Blackpool Central was still open, the route via St Annes and Blackpool South was more than a single track siding and the direct line from Kirkham to Blackpool South was still open. Nice little network, oh and add in the branch from Poulton to Fleetwood too.

However I also fully endorse the Tyne Valley. Obviously slightly long for a TSW route and two large rail complexes to do at Newcastle and Carlisle (how complex depending on the exact era). But the route itself is an oft unappreciated scenic gem, living in the shadow of the S&C.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For Tyne Valley Line around 2020-2021 Class 142 Pacer is coupled to Class 156/158 due to them being RVAR 2010 compliant but the pacer is not compliant. Therefore for Pacer Class 142 Trips a Class 156/158 should run with them.

• Like Like x 1