Tsc - Live The Lirr!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jun 30, 2022.

1. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

• Like Like x 7
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So, guess it's nice to for those interested in more US commuter routes, its kind of disappointing that there is technically no new stock for this route, just the M7...

Not to mention this seems like just a direct port of the TSW2 version with very little to add.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  3. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

The heavens have FINALLY answered the call!!

• Like Like x 4
  4. dragoner

dragoner Well-Known Member

Holy heck this was not expected at all! Pleasent suprise. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. rare_common_sense

Penn Station In TSC finally has all of its residents represented. And hopefully the platforms are at the correct height. And the station is better represented overall.

6. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

oh...my....god...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this. More track miles and branches than the TSW version and hopefully better audio than the TSW version too (the audio got messed up during an update for LIRR on TSW).

• Like Like x 2
  8. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

This is amazing. So glad to see LIRR finally make it's way to TSC. I can't wait to run this route in. Hopefully it extends east of Hicksville. This was definitely a great surprise. I have been looking forward to this for years. It is also cool to see the subway signage featured. Maybe soon, we'll see some M3 and M9 action.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NEC Railfan

BTW the TS1 LIRR team is gonna try revamping this route when it comes out, and hopefully extend it later on.

• Like Like x 3
  10. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

It's been a wild ride and an absolute pleasure to be part of this project. I laid all the track and did the signal scripting for this route. It was a massive help having such knowledgeable people that were able to provide detailed feedback and guidance on everything, such as speed limits, signal behavior, safety system behavior, and much more. It feels authentic.

Let me know if you have any questions. If I am able to answer them, I will!

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I laid the track with extensions and developers in mind. So hopefully you have everything you need.

• Like Like x 9
  12. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

The Long Island Rail Road, extending from New York City to Hicksville, New York
    45 route miles of electrified trackage and 30 stations.
    That's it? very disappointed. Why the US routes always seemed not to get any love

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

Lol...all they did was add just to East Willinston and St Albans...and Only am peak hours one M7 departs from East Willinston in real life...no extension past Hicksville(at least to Huntington) not even parts of a Port Washington Branch added smfh.

14. LawJ30

LawJ30 New Member

Minerman146 would make one hell of an extension if he could do it. Looking forward to the workshop opportunities this brings!

• Like Like x 3
  15. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

So basically, this is just LIRR from TSW2 with jus 2 separate stations added of jus East Willinston(where in real life only one m7 train departs that station am rush hours) and St Albans. And still this only goes to Hicksville smfh

16. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I will not be getting this unfinished route. I can't believe that after all the disappointments with the LIRR in TSW they do the same thing.
    is just lazy and the LIRR( busiest USA commuter route) deserves better

• Like Like x 1
  17. malikrthr

It is good to see this is arriving in Train Simulator but crazy after all the complaints with the TSW version, the route should atleast go further east to offer a much greater distance. It is cool to have St. Albans and East Williston. It would be cool to see this route extend to the last point of electrification for the main line and Babylon branches. Definitely include Ronkonkoma. I have a feeling this will offer higher train traffic. One great thing too that was mentioned earlier was that the tracks were laid further east so maybe soon, we may officially see an extended LIRR route with career scenarios along with QD scenarios. I also see the M3 potentially making it's way to TSC if it is true that this was back ported with enhancements made to the sounds/physics. With this route being created, I have a feeling we will see some interesting workshop scenarios and mergers with the New Haven Line, Hudson Line, and even the NJCL and Morristown Lines

• Like Like x 3
  18. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I am completely underwhelmed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What I remember of the LIRR was the long Diesel routes which don't seem to be included
    Not worth getting for a short route with one type of train
    LIRR_Diesel_Regions_Map.jpg
    Peter

• Like Like x 3
  20. malikrthr

I think we may soon see an M3 if this route was ported from TSW. I wonder why they didn't include the diesels as it was heavily requested before

21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Probably because of the option to sell them as Loco DLC later.

• Like Like x 1
  22. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

What they should have done was the St Albans Branch ending at Lynnbrook for Babylon Trains to Run and Terminate. Main Line should end to Ronkonkoma where it was electrified on December 28th, 1987. 6 months to 1 year before the SWML Weymouth electrification in 1988.

23. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

The thing with loco DLC released after the original route is that scenarios included with the route are lacking key rolling stock, as happens with NY-NH in wich the included scenarios doesn't have the M8 EMUs.
    Apart from that, the route looks very detailed, sure it will be a nice addon.

24. NEC Railfan

Useless without an extension tbh. They'd need actual diesel branches included to include the DE/DMs, so I understand that move, what I don't understand is the lack of M3s.
    Another thing that would've been good to include is NY&A unbranded freight. We need GP38-2s to proper spec, and to introduce the MP15AC.

• Like Like x 1
  25. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

I made an amazing scenario (using guidance from an anonymous employee) from St. Albans to Penn Station where you follow an AI train from Jamaica to Penn Station using unusual tracks. It's totally possible to start from St. Albans and operate to points west.

• Like Like x 4
  26. carl.headley92

carl.headley92 Well-Known Member

I wish the inital route did extend pass hicksville but I still looking forward to this route

• Like Like x 1
  27. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply and in Real life both Babylon and West Hempstead trains Penn station later in the year Grand Central Terminal as planned for the East Side Access since the 1970s bound stop at St Albans then Jamaica to either Penn Station or via 63rd St Tunnel to Grand Central Terminal

28. hemmt973

hemmt973 New Member

As a former daily rider on the Hempstead, West Hempstead, and Port Jefferson, and Ronkonkoma branches I am looking forward to this DLC! Hopefully, though the M7 is up to the Reppo M2 standards, and they release an M3 version too, as M3s were very common on the branch until they were pulled from service! I'd also like to see the ability of the headlights and taillight to work in tandem on the lead cars (Standard Practice on the lirr when a train is short cars in a consist)! I'd also hope that the developers used the same starting point as the NYNH DLC and Hudson Line DLC to have the ability to merge the routes and actually run NYA consists to Hunts Point and beyond! Finally the MTA branches are coming full circle! In Lieu of DE30 and DM30s, reskins of the BNSF GP38, SW1500, PC FA1, DTM Comet 1 trailers, and the Kuju F9s would serve well as LIRR Diesel Territory equipment (Anyone who rode the MP72s behind the GP38s would appreciate it greatly)!

• Like Like x 2
  29. malikrthr

I recently heard approximately 80 LIRR M3's have been brought out of storage and put back into service, I believe until 2024 or so. I think they were brought back into service to fill in some of the schedule gaps along with extra trains that will be needed for access to Grand Central Terminal. I can't recall exactly what the assignments for the M3's will be but they were recently put back into service.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. rare_common_sense

I would have personally loved to see more or all of the immediate branches implemented into this route. That would have really made up for the choice of the easternmost point of the network. That is one thing about this route that makes up for very small variety in stock.

It’s exciting to finally see this come to TSC. Although with DTG’s seemingly self imposed limitations of route building, the amount of the route given was expected. It just would have been a nice surprise to be given something a little more substantial to make up what the TSW version lacks.

This route, I feel, was always better suited for TSC. It’s more than likely wishful thinking to see official extensions of this route where DLC like the diesel equipment is given and able to be used in sections that electrics don’t operate on.

Really hoping to see the M3’s pretty soon, at least.

31. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks, just thought I'd jump in to the discussion to add some context.

The original plan for the route was to terminate at Ronkonkoma but as we started building the route and looking at the assets used on the TSW version, it quickly became apparent that it was too much for us to handle in the time we had. We have a very small, but dedicated, team on TSC. It was a decision that was not taken lightly but we felt either we compromise the quality across the entire route or focus the quality on a shorter version. So fundamentally, we chose to focus the quality.

The route is not a direct port of the TSW2 version - the trackwork is very different in places. Almost every station has been rebuilt from scratch, and whilst some of the scenic assets have been taken from TSW2's version of the route, most things have had extra work and polish put in.

The M7 has also had significant work - we've used experts within the community to make it work more effectively. The sounds have been completely reworked to replicate the units' characteristic sounds - so it's not the same M7 as used on the Hudson Line.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  32. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

That´s great news. One of the major negatives points in the TSW version was the signaling sistem behaviour... Nice to know that effort was put in for an accurate signaling sistem behaviour!

• Like Like x 1
  33. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

Hopefully, amercian third parties will look at this route which has so many expansion and enhancements opportunities!

• Like Like x 3
  34. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah it was unfortunate, but like you said we had a very small team. As soon as I was finished with track (which I think I spent about 150 hours on), I had to jump immediately into signal scripting. There simply wasn't any spare time for me to lay more track. I'm hoping to see some awesome Workshop extensions augment what we've made here.

• Like Like x 7
  35. rare_common_sense

Well, is there any intention or interest to possibly hire to expand the TSC team?

• Like Like x 1
  36. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I am not against this. It will be even better if we can use available resources within a Workshop setup. Anything brand new of course cannot be done this way unless DTG can be talked into releasing a free asset pack later on (which is possible; other games have free graphics packs that can be freely added to the game, and in this case it would provide for Workshop use for the free graphics).
    Does it make lunch?

...what do you mean it would cost $10 for a sandwich?
    What a horrible attitude to have. You are free to your opinion, but calling people "lazy" for working under a limited production schedule and doing everything they possibly could is just a bad thing to do until you see the work they've been doing (possibly a stream next week and the following week during pre-release, I'd imagine). Watch what they produced before saying it's lazy. I doubt cActUsjUiCe was as lazy as you suggest.
    You never know. One of the first things I thought about, too.

• Like Like x 4
  37. rare_common_sense

Seriously appreciate your efforts on this project, dude. Your meticulous attention to detail is something that is always needed and valued. The downside of course, is always the time needed for it to be done. Wish there were a more simpler, easier way for ya.

• Like Like x 1
  38. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

If anything, the route is a downgrade because (as far as I can tell), the M3 is missing and the 4 service per day Belmont branch is missing.. Instead of porting a broken route from TSW2 to a 15 year old game instead of fixing and improving the existing version is poor from dovetail

39. Cyclone

The M3 was a payware add-on requiring the TSW version of the LIRR to be usable. Nothing says it can't be payware as a separate loco here. The point remains that we're getting the route with the M7. That's good for now.

Development costs money. That's all there is to it.

Also, I already addressed the question of whether the route is a port of the TSW route. See here:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. rare_common_sense

I think people think that porting over means copy and paste, which can’t work here. At least not as a whole. I can see some of the assets and the equipment having been converted. But largely the route is definitely its own.
    The best thing about this route, is that most of the obstacles that would have made this harder for a community made version of the route to be done, have already been taken care of.

Jamaica station (and the area surrounding it) itself would have been the biggest challenge. The flyover junction, Jay Interlocking. I think the rest of the system would be a fairly simple task to take on, compared to what was already done.

I’m just elated this is coming at all. This has been a LOOOOOONG TIME coming. So I’m keeping my gripes mostly in check.

• Like Like x 1
  41. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2022
  42. Cyclone

I think Gary took the pictures. You would best ask him.

43. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Well you have the tools in sim nothing stopping you from making it yourself to your high standards.

• Like Like x 2
  44. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

Maybe talent?

• Like Like x 2
  45. Bradmac

Bradmac Member

I recently bought the TSW2 version of LIRR when it was on special. While I enjoy driving the route, the signalling system can be a bit tricky as it does not show the correct aspects when diverging at junction. I hope the TSC version is more correct - and with cActUsjUiCe scripting the signals and his proven attention to detail - I'm tempted to buy this version too!

• Like Like x 1
  46. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

It's nearly identical to real life according to an employee we have consulted with. There are a few realism features I couldn't implement such as timed code drops (e.g. passing the Approach signal after Country Life Press when heading into Hempstead should give you 30 in the cab and then drop you to 15 exactly twenty seconds later). That signal will just drop you immediately to 15 upon passing. Small stuff like that which doesn't seem to hamper the game experience at all once you actually sit down and play. But as far as aspect progressions and forced code drops at certain locations, it's pretty much spot on.

• Like Like x 4
  47. trinancrat

trinancrat Member

Ryan here. Using my experience with OpenNEC, I worked in tandem with Brandon to develop the signaling and safety systems for this project. I'm responsible primarily for the behavior of the M7.

Yes - rest assured that you can expect a completely different experience for the M7 compared to what has previously been seen in TSC's Hudson Line, TSW's LIRR, and TSW's Harlem Line. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Think you mean TSC hudson line?

49. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If a UK commuter route with multiple tracks - like the South London Network or London to Brighton - was released with just one type of train people would not be happy.
    You need to see some other types of train when driving - even if it is just AI

• Like Like x 4
  50. Cyclone

London to Brighton did release with one train. Others were DLC. Not sure what you're getting at, here?

(Yes, the 450 was AI on the Waterloo line, and the 375 from Chatham. You never really used them. Players can fill up Penn with whatever they want in addition to the M7.)