German Speed Indicators

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Adammmmtr, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Adammmmtr

Adammmmtr New Member

Could somebody more knowledgeable about german rail signaling explain how the Zs 3 and Zs 3v signals work? My question is at which point after the signal does the speed limit no longer apply. For example, when pulling out of a station on the Koln Aachen line the signal says the limit is 80 but logically when the train is clear of the station junction it should accelerate to the line speed? I believe the procedure is described in these two articles below on the german Wikipedia, but it's hard to understand with Google Translator:
    1. Zusatzsignal
    2. Anschließender Weichenbereich

Thanks

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

A Zs3 guards a junction, or a siding or dead-end track. The speed limitation is in effect while any part of the train is within the switches or crossings. A Zs3v is just a Vorsignal, an advanced signal warning of the upcoming speed reduction just like an Lf6.

Contrary to my earlier impression, Zs3s are not used to regulate traffic flow like more modern systems.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I had previously believed that Zs3 speed indications are in effect until the next signal, but a quick reference indicates this is not so. Rather, the speed is in effect for the duration that the train occupies the "points zone."

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

As a general rule of thumb:
    - when you enter a station, the Zs3 speed limit goes up to the next signal
    - when you leave a station, the Zs3 speed limit goes up to the last set of points/switches in your path
    - when you are out on the open line, the Zs3 speed limit goes up to the last set of points/switches in your path

The speed limit always applies from the sign/signal, and not as shown on the HUD once your passing the points.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Adammmmtr

Adammmmtr New Member

Thanks for your replies. I don't want to make a separate thread for this - can you explain what a flashing 85 means in PZB? (Mode O of course). Coupled with the 1000 Hz magnet it obviously means you hate to decrease the speed to below 85 km/h but I'm not sure if a speed limit still applies when it's flashing alone. Sometimes it's clear when driving a loco like the BR 185 with a screen that tells you exactly what the current speed limit is, but in other ones it's confusing.

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

A flashing indicator always signals active supervision. A flashing 85 means that PZB is checking that you stay below 85 but you can theoretically free yourself from it (as no 1000Hz indicator is lit). That’s pretty much irrelevant for mode O but rather important for mode M and especially mode U.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

M 70 kmh 45 mph U 55 kmh 35 mph those are their speeds when flashing.

8. solicitr

But pay attention to the magnet lights! If the speed indicator is flashing alternate speeds AND the yellow 1000 Hz light is lit, then you are capped at 45 km/h (stick to 40, because even 45.1 will trigger a ZB). Similarly, if it's the red 500 Hz then your max speed is a snail-like 25 (stick to 20). In either case, when the magnet light goes out do NOT clear PZB unless and until you can physically see that the next signal is all green (not green-yellow, so don't trust the HUD), or is more than 500 m away.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  9. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Subtract 5 km/h from both of those figures.

Cheers

10. solicitr

Whoops, you're right. I typo'd "20" for "25," then tried to correct but the corrections came out wrong

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022