Newbie Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smugstarlord#4202, Jul 2, 2022.

1. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Good morning ladies and gents (and non binaries if that's your thing)

After moaning/wishing certain TSC content would come to TSW2, I bit the bullet and purchased it off steam while it was on sale.

What recommendations would the community have in regards to DLCs for the game.

I already have ECML Kings x to Peterborough as I used to travel on that alot as a kid, as well as the class 91.

Any suggestions are welcome. I love diesel traction and High Speed as well as a preference for UK routes.

I own most DLC for TSW2 so I wouldn't get them for TSC.

Thank you and happy Saturday

2. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Coming from TSW I couldn't recommend old content to you - which was the original ecosystem for such content.

However.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...h_Wales_Coastal_Bristol__Swansea_Route_Addon/
    This is a v2 / extended version, and it comes among others with the Class 67 that is a high speed 66.
    There is the "EWS" version of said loco which I've screenshotted between mid-April and mid-June, can see them here or
    https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198020148836/screenshots/
    It was released for good old GWML.

Sister DLC for that route would be
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...Wales_Coast_Line_Crewe__Holyhead_Route_AddOn/
    with the Class 221.

Other than that, there are a few newer versions of the old world, such as
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/...tern_Expressways_Reading__Exeter_Route_AddOn/
    but in general I'd take a look at JustTrains and similar, as I believe the full 300 mile route is modeled, with additional trains, of course if you're willing to work with 3rd party installers and the cost of trains and such. Most people seem to enjoy them.

Just for the record, in the US, the Pacific Surfliner and Miami to West Palm Beach might qualify.
    You may also have the newest NEC section, if you like it, you can find additional sections: a deep but rich hole. However, not diesel, except for the NJCL. Unfortunately, just like above, the main section (NY-Philly) is an original offering, so you'd want to look for an enhanced version, there might still be on the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

North Wales Coastal" Crewe to Holyhead is a great route. Well recommended.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

86s and 87s in BR Blue didn't really use the ECML though. 86s in later years did on freight workings of course, but buying either WCMLoS or WCMLN will only give you them in BR Blue & ICS livery, neither of which would have been seen on the ECML.

6. TundraFire

TundraFire Member

As mentioned above, any route developed by Keith Ross is class. WCML North is showing it's age with it's lack of superelevation and neutral sections but for it's price still worth it.
    His other routes, Over Shap, Trent Valley, West Highland and Western Lines all have superb detail and scenery.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

You say you would not get for TSC something for TSW.

They are different route projects. And they play differently. You have the chance to have Workshop scenarios with all sorts of extra content just not available for TSW. Riesa-Leipzig, BTW, requires and even comes with the Dresden-Riesa route, which predates the TSW version. Part of that route is unique. Some is shared with Rapid Transit Route. Are you going to pass because of this? Keep an open mind.

8. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I like Welsh Marches. I'm familiar with several places on it in real life and within the limits of TSC they are accurate and well made. It's also close to 100 miles long, so will blow your socks off in route length compared with anything from TSW.

9. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Not to mention there's a merge with South Wales Coastal (which is recommended above quite rightly) available in the Workshop. I think Welsh Marches might be accused of being less varied than some other routes, though there are a few freight destinations that can be explored, but it's really well made. I'm from the West Midlands and honestly the scenery made me feel a bit emotional when I first drove it.

To the OP it's not discounted in the current sale but the Great British Railways bundle is VFM even though you already have one of the routes included- mostly older routes but good. I'd still wait for a sale.

The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s offers extensive passenger and freight running albeit at fairly leisurely pace driving Diesels around south west County Durham though, if you do fancy trying steam, many suitable loco's are available. Full disclosure- this is the first route I ever drove in TS and still my favourite for various reasons not least the fact that I live in the area. The route captures the simple beauty of the countryside very well.

I second the recommendations for WCML (North) and WCML Over Shap which between them cover the main line from Preston to Glasgow. WCML (North) does show its age and some of the included scenarios are flawed but it is extensive- well worth £4. The Shap route is nicely detailed and driving the Class 87s really keeps you on your toes. I bought it to run the APT (and if you want high speed there's nothing faster for British routes) but like it very much on its own merits.

The Riviera Line in the '50s is a lovely route- steam only as it comes but the Western Hydraulics pack adds a trio of Swindon's finest Diesels. Western Lines of Scotland is similar in ambience to the W&T (though faster in places especially as it includes a few miles of the WCML) so if you like one you'll like the other- also steam only but Classes 27 and 20 are availabe separately for suitable Diesel power.

Hope this is helpful.

10. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

For diesel traction would recommend as said by JJTimothy Weardale and Teesdale Network which has Class 25, 101, 08 and a 37 and if your looking for something more current Wherry Lines or Fife Circle :)

11. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

If you are going to spend alot of time in an 86, I can highly recommended AP's 86 enhancement pack! Makes the 86 just brilliant & function how it should & makes the tap changer a joy to use.

https://www.armstrongpowerhouse.com/enhancements/locomotive/class_86_enhancement_pack

Other packs are available which are also excellent! I also have the 68 & 66 from AP.

I would highly recommend the full WCML but that's a whole rabbit hole of things to buy to make that happen.

I have the Wales north coast line which is also great!

12. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Im sorry for the lack of response. I appreciate all you guys suggested (having Jamie enter the thread is awesome)
    It turns out my laptop is a bit rubbish for TSC. So..... I got a new gaming one and TSC runs like a dream.

Welsh marches, over Shap, Fife circle, WCML routes and wherry lines, im looking into and I'm going to check out AP.

Once again, thank you for your time, opinions and suggestions. The forums can be awesome at times

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

We try sometimes. :D