Ts2022 Capped To 60hz Refresh Rate ?

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by crrispy, Jul 2, 2022.

1. crrispy

crrispy Member

Hello,

I just bought an Ultimate G-Sync Alienware 144Hz monitor. Works like a charm with TSW2 and other games like FS2020, but TS2022 seems capped to 60 fps. Vsync is disabled in the Nvidia control panel, I have no command line options in Steam for TS, and there are no v-sync related options in the game.
    Anyone else with G-sync+TS experience above 60 fps?

Thanks.

2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I cap my FPS to 30 even though I have a 144Hz monitor, I prefer stable FPS over fluctuating, do you happen to have RWEnhancer Pro? Because you can set the FPS rate in that too, easily overlooked if you're focused on the game and Nvidia control panel only.

3. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

If you have a nVidia card then make sure for Railworks64.exe settings in the NVCP for Max Frame Rate is set to off.
    If you have an AMD card - that's beyond my pay grade.
    Capping a GSync monitor is counterintuitive as the monitor displays the image immediately that the cpu sends to the gpu.
    You do not need Vsync at all as the hardware in GSync obviates that.
    My cpu/gpu system is old so I only see around a STABLE 40fps (980 fps when TSC starts) but it is very smooth for me.
    If you are getting a stable smooth stutter-free 60 fps I cannot see why you need to increase that.
    FPS depends on many factors - but if you have good smooth playback it becomes irrelevant.
    I have a guide to setting up a GSync monitor in TS 2018 over on UKTS, file ID 34960, and an older version 38190. Dated but still may help!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yet I never get screen tear and my playback is buttery smooth, remember WCML-S and all it's issues, no tile loading lag or stutters for me..

I'll stick with my counter-intuitiveness thank you Peter ;)

5. crrispy

crrispy Member

Hi,

Disabling G-SYnc in the NVCP does allow it to go over 60 fps. Maybe it's a DX9/G-Sync issue. I agree this doesn't change much and G-sync even capped to 60 is fine for TS, but I'm curious why this happens and it would be nice to fix it just for fun.

6. Peter Hayes

Reef
    I didn't explain that well you will NOT get screen tearing whether the GSync monitor is capped or not. It is counterintuitive to cap the fps as it may decrease performance due to the extra step of capping. May not be significant.
    Maybe but the fps that you see there is what the cpu is sending to the gpu - not necessarily what is displayed on the monitor.

7. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Edit the config_fullscreen file in your Railworks directory. You can change the refresh rate there.

8. Peter Hayes

cJuice
    Are you saying that you can change the refresh rate of say a 60Hz monitor to a 144Hz monitor - or something else?
    What does that achieve?

9. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

You can't change the refresh rate of the monitor itself. You can make the game use a custom refresh rate so it just doesn't default to 60 all the time.

I use this setting all the time when playing on my 120Hz TV and when using the 144Hz monitor at my desk.

I find that having a higher refresh rate (regardless of if the FPS is capable of reaching it) reduces eye strain and feels smoother overall, especially on the main menu.

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I found my config_fullscreen.xml to have 75 Hz set by default (file date 2015-09-22). I take it this file is irrelevant when playing in Borderless with -FPSLimit=60 like I prefer to do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
  11. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

No it still sets the refresh rate to 75, but it'll just limit the FPS to 60

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

In Borderless, which is a window? Can a window's content have a different refresh rate than the desktop?

And this file would set a resolution of 1024x768, I thought it is only used for providing a basic default setting in case of deleting the config file PlayerProfiles.bin.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
  13. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Oh good point. You're right that this tweak would only affect exclusive fullscreen mode.

14. Peter Hayes