Train Simulator Classic - What Defines Minimum Spec Requirements?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sayagi1, Jun 30, 2022.

1. sayagi1

sayagi1 New Member

Really want to pick this game up on sale, specifically for the ECML North route if that helps.

Unfortunately my PC seems to be just below the required minimum specs, however I’m confused as to what defines them.

Is the game in a playable state on minimum specs? I’d be fine with something like 10-20FPS since it isn’t exactly a fast-paced game. Just want to know if it’s completely unplayable. Thanks.

2. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I play on an ordinary laptop with minimum specs with a NViDIA 250 Graphics Card when the minimum requirement is 750 and it works well for me, really enjoy it and the graphics look great. When DTG do a stream I cannot see any difference. My laptop is NOT a gaming laptop and the only problem I have, is that having bought so much I am now low on storage space!!!.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

What are your specs?

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The Minimum graphics is a GTX750.... your GPU is a MX250... you can't compare the two, and a larger number doesn't mean the 750 is a more powerful GPU. Your MX250 is roughly similar in performance to a GTX750, which is a very old GPU now.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It probably would not work at 10-20 FPS
    If you look at this https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_Classic/
    Minimum for 32-bit:
    • OS: 32-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 8.1 or 10 Required (Other OS versions and types are not supported)
    • Processor: Intel Core-i3 4330 3.50 GHz Dual Core or AMD A8 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core or Better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Graphics with 1 GB Dedicated VRAM or Better
    • DirectX®: 9.0c
    • Network: Broadband Connection (May incur additional costs for use)
    • Storage: 40 GB or more available space (Additional Add-Ons will require more)
    • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Audio Device
    • Additional Notes: Requires mouse and keyboard or Xbox Controller
    Laptop, Notebook, Mobile or Low Power versions of the above specifications (including Intel or Integrated Graphics) may work but are not supported.

6. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

One of the most important specs in a graphics card is memory bandwidth. (Note: this is not the only spec to keep in mind when choosing a graphics card)
    I seem to recall that to experience "reasonable playability" of TSC you need a minimum memory bandwidth (MB) of 60Gb/sec.
    The MX250 has a MB of 48Gb/sec (GTX750 80Gb/sec) so you may not be able to max out (and in fact, you may have to minimise) some of the TSC graphics settings.
    The min specs DTG post just means that to see a "reasonable" performance that those are the specs that you need.
    Experiences will vary and you still may get "good playability" with a lower-spec machine.
    If you have a PC not meeting the min specs - it doesn't mean that you can't play TSC - it's just that your experience may not be as good as what you expect, (or it may run badly or not at all).
    Plus DTG may not support any "help" requests.

7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I got started in TS using a laptop that was well below minimum spec' so it's probably worth a go but what are your spec's?

(Having said that I recently tried starting TS on the same laptop and it's just not having it- the splash pops up for a few seconds and then disappears and that's it. No idea why or when that started since I haven't used it for TS in ages.)

8. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I started getting into TS when I ran it on a Mac via Bootcamp with 3.2Ghz 6500K, R9 M390 2GB GDDR5 GPU and 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3 Ram, running off a 1TB (500GB Partition) "fusion" drive.

very old in comparison to todays systems. Even my current system is quite old even though I've only had it 2 years.
    i5 9600K, 16GB 3200mhz DDR4 and an 8GB RTX 2070 super. Also running off my M.2 drive

Big difference in comparison and gets the job done.

TS is more CPU intensive than GPU, so best bet to get the latest i5 or if you want, an i7 and a recent graphics card (RTX 20 series)

9. JJTimothy

Further to my previous comment I just tried the laptop again and TS started up with no issue. Dunno what changed.

10. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

You probably read the manual the second time. That usually sorts problem out. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJTimothy

Nevah!

I did have a problem with the laptop coming out of hibernation driving the screen at the wrong resolution- maybe that had something to do with it.