Gwr Trains' Acceleration

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Luk396-e464, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

After the update of 20th June for GWR, i noticed the accelerations of DMU 166 and HST Br Class 43 are very slower than before. Do they reflect in real life? Or are they bugs?

2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Nope they are more accurate physics for the 166 and not bugs. Personally the hst isn't any slower than before.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

They adjusted the 166 downwards as it was a tad fast on the old accelerator. HST wasn't touched that I've heard (doesn't mean it hasn't happened but I haven't seen it mentioned)

4. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

The HST at some point in time used to be able to meet the 100 and the 125 speed limits. Now it doesnt. It takes a little longer.
    I am not sure if it is this update or the previous one.
    They have tweaked the acceleration of the 166 but not the timetables. It means that the 166 from "Bedford to Paddington" is almost impossible to be on time, that is with keeping to the speed limits but going over v max to 100 means you are 1 minute late?

D

5. matt#4801

HST as I said previously is fine for me.
    With the 166 you want to start in notch 5 and at around 10mph ish bump it up to 7. When you approach the station leave the braking slightly later and don't be afraid to use notch 2 braking. This method has allowed me to still do runs in a timely manner so hope it helps you as well.

6. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

I (partially) beg to differ on this. Whilst the HST is definitely slower than it once was in it's early TSW2020 days, in TSW2 I don't ever recall the reference speed of 100mph being reachable before the 125mph trigger point. Aside from four car units, that is, because they can reach that reference speed. I guess it doesn't really matter so much though because services are still comfortably achievable within the time limits.

Unlike the 166. You're absolutely right when mentioning that on some services it's impossible to be punctual without exceeding the 90mph speed limit of the train. Any limited stop service from Reading - Paddington (or visa-versa) will result in being anything upto 2 minutes late so it is pretty obvious that DTG have forgotten to amend the timetable accordingly when dumbing down this train. Sure, a gold medal is achievable and being late does kind of add a little authenticity to British trains in general but it still would be nice to arrive on time.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

And that is in dry conditions with the 166. I do notice it does not slip anymore in the rain. Trying to start in notch 5 on wet rails used to cause alot of slipping, now there is no slipping anymore on the 166. Same with braking, I find the 166 brakes just aswell in the rain now wit no slipping even in emergency braking.

I do find it hard to believe that in real life these units have to trashed constantly to just keep time. That's an awful lot of engine time at notch 7.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The HST acceleration and brakes were tweaked when it first came over to TSW2 to make the behaviour more realistic. The 166 was also tweaked but has now been tweaked again to make it more realistic. The HST was correct after the first tweak. It is a bit too fast to accelerate on gen 8 consoles because of the shorter train length having less weight but with the full length trains elsewhere it matches the performance of a real train well according to real drivers comments. In TSW2020 it was too fast accelerating and the brakes applied and released too quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  9. matt#4801

Just to clarify they haven't dumbed it down but have made it more accurate to how it is in real life.

10. Luk396-e464

Luk396-e464 Active Member

Thank you for your thought