Train Sim World 2 - A Coastal Retreat

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

The yellow plunger you see in the demo is the AWS acknowledge button. This unit is fitted with AWS capability.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean the LINE has AWS ramps etc, I think that was the question

3. Mr heff

I'm not sure if the line has AWS, but the unit does, so there should be an AWS self test when you set the reverser.

4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Remember that the 484 is just one varient of the Strain and it's quite possible that it's been fitted to future proof the trains incase AWS is ever fitted to the line. However I can find no evidence either written or pictorial that the island line currently has AWS magnets installed so until a more knowledgeable soul provides an affirmative answer I will assume that this hasn't changed since 2019 which is the last source I can find stating it doesn't have AWS

• Like Like x 1
  5. ARuscoe

Almost every system in the TSW2 world is off by default, so yes it SHOULD but the system is probably isolated to begin with

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr heff

I thought that this class of unit was built specifically for the island line?

7. Mr heff

And that's my point, I don't understand why. It's a preview, surely you would want to show of all features shown?

• Like Like x 1
  8. ARuscoe

The class is unique, but the internals are not. There are similar units for LNWR and TfW under Class 230
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230

• Like Like x 1
  9. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

If you want a better answer then just tune into the beginning of the roadmap livestream and Jasper explains there why the exact reason why they haven't got it yet and why they decided to go ahead.
    The livestreams are a gold mine of information. If only most of the moaners on here watched them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

The 484 was built for the line. But it's part of the D train family which also includes the class 230 which run in Wales and (as I've just learnt) soon to be on running on the Greenford Branch later this year.

Am I putting 2+2 together to get 5 here?

First a updated route and then a loco which could also feature on a different route if that also was updated?

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

Absolutely, but speculation is definitely part of the forum (bereft, lonely unanswered speculation but still)

12. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I am interested in this but, with Rivet’s record, I’ll hold off until I’ve watched at least one preview stream. To the people who mentioned the sound of the engine, is there a video other than the walk round video because this only has the sound of the engine for the final few seconds, not really enough for me to make an informed opinion? I didn’t hear the whining sound that it makes when leaving the station but that may not be audible inside the cab.

Personally, I’m not overly bothered about the livery. If they can’t use the original, they can’t use it. Not Rivet’s fault. Better in my opinion to put out a close approximation than not at all so that the people who want to buy it can and the people to who it is a deal breaker don’t have to. Hopefully, use of the real livery can be negotiated with SWR soon. After all, it is free publicity for them.

13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The diesel sound is from a bus.

• Like Like x 5
  14. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

So, from that I glean that a) people are complaining about the sound before they’ve actually heard it (which doesn’t overly surprise me) and b) the sound at the end of the walk round video when you are in the cab and the train sets off is not the engine sound i.e. the engine is silent and it’s coincidence that a bus sets off at exactly the same time and presumably the cab window is open so I can hear it clearly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Have you considered factors as to why some may have missed or not watched the stream?

• Like Like x 2
  16. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

I’m sure there’s a good reason as to why they can’t get the license. I’m not complaining about that specifically, I just think they ought to have finalised the licensing before making the announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  17. tallboy7648

Welp money talks in the end. They wanted money as quickly as possible hence why they announced the route and a release date because people will buy it regardless even though previous rivet dlc have been a pile of garbage that have taken a long time to receive fixes. Ironic how they say now they will fix wcl on stream when they announced this route

• Like Like x 2
  18. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The whole “hey watch our 90 minute stream for info you won’t get anywhere else” thing, is, in a word, tiresome.

Even when I actually want to watch the streams, I struggle to finish them sometimes.

It’s one thing to have the information locked into the steam, but another for the same stream to be filled with a lot of rambling and no real consistency to agenda.

As for people telling others to watch the stream, I think the point of a forum has gone over their head.

• Like Like x 6
  19. antony.henley

Bear with me please.
    Last year was one of the most stressful years I have had to cope with since losing my dad. I was doing a Twilight shift at work working from 2pm - 11pm dealing with the threat of redundancy and then eventually seeing the closing down and relocation of the business and everything else that went on in that. Then from the time I got home (usually between 2345 and 0000, later if I missed my bus) till the time I left to goto work 1340 I would be looking after my mum, being her carer. the last 2 months of my employment I working there from 0930 am - 1800pm
    Basically my mum is dying and there's nothing that can be done about it. When I eventually took redundancy (long story but its like a WTF is going on type and would be a great post for off topic and fairly long).
    I made the decision to be a carer for my mum and be unemployed. So I applied for universal credit and the laughingly called Carers allowance of which I basically get less than £500 per month. So now I consider myself a full time carer. Not just office hours but 24 hours a day. Which I am up 4-5 times per night dealing with her. As well as dealing with her through out the day. Through out the day I also manage to carry out my day to day routines and sometimes doing the odd livestream where I pause mid livestream and go and deal with her especially at night if I am streaming.

Now if I can do streaming or watch a livestream whilst also doing what I do for looking after her, then I am sure that someone who has a slight busy life can find time to watch a livestream from DTG or who ever whether its live or VOD. And i'm sure there are people out there that are worse off than me to be honest. Personally i don't want to be a carer, but I don't get any help what so ever from my two brothers or two sisters I have to deal with this on my own. I want a job and a steady wage, but I wont get that until my mum eventually dies. Thats a harsh way of looking at it but that's how it is. I'm not looking for sympathy, I am just trying to explain if I can do this and still watch streams then some others can. Yes I know I am not technically at work but its considered work that I do not just 9-5 but 24/7, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year! I have been doing this the last 3 years.
    You can also probably understand sometimes why I come across as crass and cranky in my forum posts / replies.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Here, I helped you rephrase that in a nicer, less emotional way, just by removing the snarky bits. Now it's just a pretty good point that I can agree with.

21. tallboy7648

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Life can be cruel sometimes. My mother has always told me that people who are mean/rude or cranky to others or are bullies usually have something not so good going on in their lives so I do sympathize.

That being said, there are some that just may have missed the stream or don't have the time to watch the stream for whatever reason hence why a person may have a question in the forum that was answered in the stream but may have missed the stream for whatever reason. The point of a forum is to also get information about certain topics of the game. Having it shown in a 90 minute+ long stream isn't really an effective way for everyone to know what is being discussed or if there questions were answered. This is why I advocate for articles to be written as summaries after roadmap streams that have key takeaways because the fact of the reality is that not everyone can watch a full duration of a stream for whatever personal reason. Considering that roadmap streams are once a month, I don't think this would be difficult to do in my opinion

• Like Like x 1
  22. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Photoshop fix bud! :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

Danm sorry to hear that bud:(

24. wombey12

wombey12 New Member

From personal experience, I'd say the motor on the 484 sounds a lot like the '72 Bakerloo stock. Hence, it might be a good idea to just recycle some sounds from the existing 72 stock - less hassle to find new sounds, and you end up with more accurate noises than the current diesel-sounding ones.

25. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

Buy a rivet product you must be joking

• Like Like x 1
  26. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, in TSW safety systems are turned off by default. Definitely not prototypical, but the idea is to make the game newbie-friendly and thus safety systems are optional not mandatory.

• Like Like x 2
  27. solicitr

As has been explained, negotiations with SWR dragged out. Delay release? I doubt Rivet is in the financial position to defer revenue like that, especially since commercial liquidity is getting pretty dry these days. In any event a) the license will probably appear, eventually; 2) more important, you can bet that in less than 24 hours of release Creators Club will have a dozen iterations of the real livery for download (and for us in the PC world, permanent .pak-mod liveries will arrive). So I wouldn't call that a deal breaker: quickly and easily fixed.

28. Mr heff

I guess the easier it is for people to play TSW the more money the developers have to spend on new fancy content, so i suppose it's a win.

29. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

30. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I have the original IOW and I will look at the new route as I have ties to IOW but the fantasy livery does put me off. I think they said in the stream the original IOW will also see the updates but couldn't give a date, if that is the case I will put off buying it until the original is updated(if it looks OK). I actually liked the original IOW but the sea texture was awful.

I can see why it isn't a favourite of others as it is a small route but also IOW has a steam train, if they couldn't get a license for the 484 could they have not tried for the steam train?

It would be a lot easier to extend the GWE going to Bristol as it is all basically in a straight line.

Will DTG allow someone to do the proper livery in the designer? Or I wonder if it can be modded?

I wonder what the reason is for not OK-ing the licence? On the face of it, it seems petty but I wonder if there isn't a deeper reason? Suppose we will never know. But aren't DTG doing false advertising by them saying they do 'Authentic trains and routes'?

• Like Like x 2
  31. solicitr

ANY livery can be modded. Since you're on PC have no fear about getting the proper livery.

• Like Like x 3
  32. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

DTG not allowing me to make my own livery in livery designer? That is a new high. (It's a joke. I know us PC players are spoilt with the Train Sim Community website that effectively lets us bypass DTG restrictions with liveries.)

• Like Like x 2
  33. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

While I am looking forward to this route and the free update to the original DLC; what happend to "We won't do DLC until we have the license"? I remember this statement from the stream about the present to past from TSW, and they said they had to ditch one DLC because of missing license, and they won't do it again.
    Unless this was Rivet and not DTG doing this, then I have no further questions, haha!

• Like Like x 3
  34. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Never believe anything DTG say. It's not unheard of for them to straight up lie or break promises. I'm still quite bitter about them not bothering to update the ECW 377 sounds despite saying they would eventually, as well as signalling/ safety system fixes for Boston Sprinter. We've been waiting nearly an entire year for both, and if they fixed the latter issue they haven't communicated it to my knowledge.

I also distinctly remember Matt saying with some confidence a few months ago that ALL the preservation updates would be out by June. I think I'm the fool for actually believing that though.

• Like Like x 3
  35. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I still think that most of the issues come from to many fires going on at once. Bugs that might only be resolved by starting the code from the beginning, third party issues aka BR187 and Rivet, three products going on at once. I think they just took more than they could chew and try to be optimistic, while trying to fix what's going wrong.

I don't think that they are doing any of this on purpose. They behave different than the companies that do it on purpose.

• Like Like x 1
  36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Somebody said on the forum that Rivet had messed up because the train sounded like a diesel. There is a diesel engine sound in the background, that is the bus. The train itself has no engine, it draws power from a third rail which powers traction motors, and that sound is what is heard in the last few moments of the video (and is enough for some people to say it is either good, bad, or copied from a German train).

• Like Like x 3
  37. solicitr

Is the 484 air conditioned?
    That is relevant because when an EMU is stopped, a/c is the only sound you'll hear if it has it. If it doesn't you'll hear nothing until it starts moving.

Agreed, the diesel sound heard through most of the video is a truck or bus in the background.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can see the busses at that station in the current route.

• Like Like x 2
  39. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Upon first hearing the new DLC was going to be the 484, I was quite disappointed - I firmly believe if you release rolling stock DLC, it has in some way got to have potential to be used on existing and/or future routes so there is more varied gameplay and layers to a timetable. Additionally, it doesn't help that the aforementioned DLC is on a short, standalone route with one track (mostly) and a quiet timetable.

But, while I'd probably preferred a completely new modern UK route (considering the overall lack of new content in TSW 2 lately), I was quite pleasantly surprised that the route would receive an upgrade, which is a real positive move I feel to complement any previous preservation updates and give some fresh gameplay. Although, while I'd be happy to see a couple older routes receive the same type of upgrade (across TSW 2 in general), this should only be from time to time, as completely new route/rolling stock DLC should still be the main priority.

• Like Like x 1
  40. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

The 484 specifically only runs on the Island Line, but as this is the first of the D-Train family to be brought to TSW2, I can imagine that with a few custom liveries it'd be a good stand-in for the Class 230 DEMU/Battery EMU, which belongs to the same family as the 484.

For my comments on the addon itself, I might pick this one up when it releases - although I live on the mainland (Maidenhead, to be exact, so the GWML is my local line!) my family have a holiday home on the Isle of Wight, so I'm very familiar with the Island Line and its stock. The livery isn't great, but I understand why it's had to be this way, and I'm sure with the right tweaks from livery makers, it'll look a bit more accurate.

More exciting is what the Class 484 opens up - I wouldn't be surprised if like the Class 483 from the original Island Line addon being used as the basis for the 1938 Stock, the Class 484 could be used as the basis for a D78 Stock in the future, and, as mentioned above, it could also serve as a base for the 230, too.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  41. johnmcglade30

johnmcglade30 Active Member

Why can't you pre-order on PlayStation

42. antony.henley

Why do you need to pre order for the playstation?
    You worried they are going to sell out of digital copies?

Hentis

• Like Like x 3
  43. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Given that they don’t know they can’t pre order DLC on PS, maybe they think that they will get the discount if they do pre order.

In any case you really should calm down with your instigative replies.

• Like Like x 3
  44. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken discounts are given by Sony so if pre order of TSW DLCs existed then I don’t think we’ll often see a discount so the pre order will kinda become pointless

45. antony.henley

No to be honest its a legitimate question. I dont understand why people feel the need to pre order anything digital from a "digital store front". They are not going to run out of digital copies. If its like a Disc release from a software store or online like Amazon, Zaavi or Game UK then I would completely understand. As MYG92 has pointed out sometimes on the DLC PS plus users have had discounts on buying dlc for TSW in the past.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  46. ARuscoe

Pre-order for some means "pay less ahead of release" rather than "you'll get a copy before others"

• Like Like x 2
  47. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I am going to remain open-minded about this one. From the screenshots, some of the texturing looks really good—and (livery aside, as enough has been said about that already) the train model and cab texturing look excellent.

I didn’t much care for the original IOW because of the janky physics and poor sounds, but this refresh/upgrade has my interest.

• Like Like x 1
  48. tallboy7648

I mean dtg are the publishers at the end of the day. There should be a bingo card for the amount of times they flat out lied to their customers unintentionally or intentionally

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  49. tallboy7648

Maybe it's pc only.

Pre ordering is pointless frankly since you only get a $3 discount which isn't much to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  50. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to get this. The original TSW2 Island Line is one of my favourite routes just to relax and look at the countryside when I only have 30 mins or so to play. So I'm probably going to enjoy the new train as well.

I've just tried today's update and the new water really does make a difference. Although from my memory of when I've been there, it's a bit too calm, but at least it actuially looks like water now.

As for the branding. That's not ideal. But as they said on Stream they are still investigating that. It may come it may not. For those that are saying don't release it until the branding is sorted, it may never get sorted and they are not going to scrap the DLC at this stage, so we may as well have it now and have a play with livery editor ourselves.

I've not been a big fan of the time it takes Rivet to get around to fixes in the past, but for me they are definitely improving. Luzern - Sursee is really quite good. West Cornwall will be much improved if the promised fix to the the 150 comes along - I really hope they worked with DTG on this and have got it right. Arosa isn't bad anymore with the right weather conditions set - Though it took far too long to get the fixes out (and I just wish they would fix the sound of the coaches). The only ones I'm disappointed with now are the 1938 Stock and DB 204.

Overall I'm optimistic for this one even if it's nothing spectacular. It'll be good for some variation. The good thing about the short length of the route being you can get a good 3 runs in before Steams 2 hour refund period is up.

• Like Like x 5