Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

As there are "sparks" mentioned, do we all understand the same thing?

Like that: ?

If yes, I hope this feature adapts to the weather. Of coure you have way more sparks if snow and ice are to observe.

2. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

:D:D

Actually, I can't see them because I long ago switched off footers because some of them were annoyingly lengthy and others were very self-serving. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Matt if i recollect had said they are not developing TSW on there currently and wouldn't be for a while. I believe he did mention the team are exploring it though.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG are also known for not saying exactly what's going on, and that statement was made before today so who knows what's changed

• Like Like x 3
  5. Crosstie

That was in April this year. So I guess it depends on what you define as " quite a while ".

6. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

And I see in the news this morning that both Boris and the PM spot are now available. While we'd be sorry to lose you, JD, it's quite the opportunity!

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I own TSW2 at Epic as well (bought it for free), but never play it there. I only use it for testing purposes. I assume you noticed that and you avoid double counts.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Crosstie

How would it be possible to count those who downloaded the Epic version and are using it to play as opposed to those, like you, who aren't?

9. BeastyBill88

BeastyBill88 Well-Known Member

Have you guys ever considered that it could have just been a typo?

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Considered it, yes. I consider it unlikely.

"TSW3" fits perfectly within the context of the message written, plus I see perfectly written sentences (including punctations, some people could learn something there). The chances of a typo occuring at exactly the place the "2" would be are very slim, if you ask me...

• Like Like x 7
  11. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Plus, JD has more or less confirmed it’s real and we must act surprised when it’s all official.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I think the "typo" theory has been debunked at this point. Clearly TSW3 is being worked on- beyond that we can only speculate at this point.

• Like Like x 8
  13. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's just people trying to play down the idea so that when the official announcement comes, they will pretend to act surprised. Don't see the point in that to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mephrite

Mephrite Active Member

TSW3 would make sense only, if this would be a switch to Unreal Engine 5, with used potential of Nanite & Lumen. Obviously old content should be moved by Pres. Crew.

If this would be only switch like moving from UE4.26 to 4.27 and some small changes like New Journeys Exp. - then thanks, I'll stick to TSW2.

15. ItsYa165

ItsYa165 Well-Known Member

The thing is if you want new content you have to move to the new game anyway. And during steam sales, TSW2 has dropped down to almost a fiver in price so you'll definitely move over. As for UE5, I can't see it happening. The team at Dovetail have only just started tinkering with it and they made claims that UE5 will not be for a long time.

They said earlier that they're taking a huge pause to fix many of the things wrong with and because of the release of TSW2. It's reasonable to assume that TSW3 is the clean-slate encumberment of all these fixes and the delivery of new features like sparks or separating loco DLCs from their routes, and the TSW3 dedicated route bundle. Nobody knows what the bigger and more impressive features of the game are supposed to be... but DTG should work to impress given that they said they would avoid paid instalments.

This could've been an update to the game... but because of how much work was required, it's meant a new entry into the Train Sim World franchise - paid or not. The preservation fiasco likely will not be seen because they've been planning on TSW3 for a while and the Pres Crew have been working on every DLC since. Additionally, there are no other versions of UE4 to move to as .27 is almost identical to .26 but with cinematic and theatrical features. They could move to this version for scenarios and effects but that's about it.

My personal thoughts on the idea of TSW3 is that it has to be more than just TSW2: Fixed Edition. It would be good to see lighting standardised across all routes so we can have vibrant and bright days, dark nights, less blue light and more realistic colours and intensities as a result of the effort.

Many Xbox titles have HDR as a feature of the game. Currently, Microsoft is working to fix HDR for Windows as it's really broken - but it would be nice to see HDR as a feature of the game rather than supported so that there can be bright brights and dark darks where it makes sense. The games' textures are more or less colour accurate - but it's the lighting that spoils the composition.

The UI of TSW has changed many times now and it's reaching a point where running the menu is just as hard as running the game itself because of its unique 3D world. Rather than focusing on wowing casual players with graphics, I hope to see more focus on functionality and accessibility so that getting into the game is more straightforward and so that the game menu doesn't consume so much 3D power. Also, it would be nice to have some more customisation for graphics and other gameplay elements like FOV, zoom, brightness or gamma, etc. For other games, these are bog-standard... but after 5 years of TSW we still don't have these settings.

Naturally, all that can be done is to wait and see what TSW3 becomes when it's ready after announcement later. But to say the least, despite the growth of the franchise, it'll be easier to disappoint with each release of the game.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  16. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The source for this ?

17. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

*Being pedantic* You would obtain something for free
    I'm looking forward to this also, as I don't know much about epic games either and where this info about UE5 was confirmed.

18. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Does the "Cat" is out of the bag have any relevance to a class 68?

19. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  20. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

I don't have the link, but Epic put out a press release listing studios currently developing titles using UE5, and DTG was one of them.

It did NOT mention any game titles, so it could be TSW3, one of their fishing games, or something completely different.

Edit: ninja'd see the link posted in the post above

• Like Like x 1
  21. alexjjones6024

Seems that since the first week of April when Sam was responding to the UE5 speculation thread, they may have advanced on UE5 training and could be doing an end of year TSW3 release perhaps? TSW2 was released in Sept 2020 so.... (6 months...)

22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I highly doubt TSW's move to UE5 will happen this year or even within the next two years, but I would be pleasantly surprised if DTG prove me wrong.

Cheers

23. alexjjones6024

You never know, it may fix all current bugs we have and then, lead to new bugs based on rushing the release (of TSW2) for more money :)

24. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Some thoughts

- Some of you are wild on the conspiracy theories. lol
    - I doubt JD is in trouble. Dovetail doing another Train Sim Version is as about as inevitable as a Southern service being delayed, and late spring/summer seems consistent with allocation required to refresh TSW. There is also some heavy tech in development (publically known) that would facilitate the need for new versioning.
    - Any engine shift would mean all the routes being recooked. So yes, the library is very large right now.
    - Unreal Engine 5 is more than ready for service.
    - Unreal Engine 5 is not the magic bullet you all think it is. I've seen so many people cite the station demo without mentioning the development time... or the fact that the demo was NOT in real-time. Your time would be better spent campaigning for DTG to be more experimental with their materials and shaders.
    - The real benefits to UE5 to TSW I could see are the new atmosphere system, Nanite (again not a magic bullet but potential) and possibly Lumen
    - Speculating but maybe raytracing... just depends on what implementation. I'm curious how fast moving objects impact RT times, and perhaps may lead to hybrid solutions e.g. Just RT reflections. Overall I'm still doubtful.
    - UI needs to change. TSW2 UI is awful. The person who designed TSW1 did a fantastic job at flow and clarity, and had a really nice modern feel. Font styling is more difficult to read/takes longer to process. The "Tom Connell Stripes" (Red Blue Yellow) need to go, and a consistent feel should be locked down.
    - Creators Club 2... should one exist... needs to have some sort of dependency manager.
    - Lighting model and atmosphere needs another look at. Take note at Microsoft Flight Simulator or Hmmmsim for how light affects exposure and surfaces. Seeing more assets appear in-game without an AO map or not being cooked, and it cheapens the look of the sim.

• Like Like x 10
  25. alexjjones6024

Does anybody here care for some sort of additional realism, e.g. train faults (leaves on track, adhesion issues, running out of fuel, wheelflats etc), randomised occurrences, dynamic weather, Trains breaking down and being rescued (non scenario based as it would be boring playing the same scenario off one DLC to appreciate it). Ultimately, something different than what we have had for 5-6 years. Does UE5 offer anything to help move this 'dark' side of the simulator forward?

• Like Like x 16
  26. Delta_Who

All of the above were theoretically possible in UE4. Dynamic weather seems like a no-brainer. Hook up the weather system to free Metar databases and refresh/interpolate 4 times an hour.

Some of the train faults you mentioned... whilst cool... don't seem to hold much gameplay weight unless in a mission. A diesel isn't running out of fuel on the mainline, leaves on the track will lead to a mass bug-report about trains sliding 2 miles down the track.

What would be cool is if we had randomized delays, that the dispatcher could account for. Mistreatment of the driver alarm, stuck door, match days, points where re-routes can occur for failed AI trains.

• Like Like x 8
  27. alexjjones6024

Yeah so important and possible options are: working guard, timetable/dispatcher improvements (being looped for a passing express train), dynamic weather.

When I looked at the running out of fuel. I feel that if you are running up and down a route all day, it could be possible to be routed to the local depot to fill up and then be released back onto duties etc. Every single (diesel based) route seems to have a depot somewhere, based on current routes for TSW2.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Leaves sound fun, but only if I can run RHTT services

• Like Like x 1
  29. Delta_Who

Working guards and improved passenger load/unload times are a really big elephant in the room.

• Like Like x 2
  30. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I personally hope they stop flogging gen 8 in the next 12-18 months and start flourishing tsw capability more

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Here’s what I hope for with a TSW 3.

1) the ability to save the game & not deal with red signal issues.

2) actual new content, Rivet are on the ball with this, for the issues they have, content diversity isn’t one of them.

• Like Like x 3
  32. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

If they leave the old routes (for now) in TSW2, I can quite imagine them releasing 3 new routes made for UE5 in TSW3. As has already been mentioned, I just hope and pray that this time they have the sense to disconnect the route dependencies from rolling stock, so we don’t get multiple versions of the exact same models.

• Like Like x 3
  33. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

You remind me of Diane Abbott.

I was speculating, I'm not sure what is happening but just going by what Matt has said in the past and I know what DTG say and do are two separate things.

I was surprised DTG didn't come in with their 'size 9's' and either refute UE5 is coming or close the thread so from that isn't it reasonable to suggest it is happening? And what JD said 'wait for the official announcement' it sounds like they were planning to announce something soon?

• Like Like x 3
  34. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Never had a crash on the Series X. And my frame rate is generally 60 fps. The lowest I've seen is 56 fps. The Out of Memory crashes the the Series S gets is because the Ram is still at Xbox One level where I have a 16GB ram.

It is a really decent machine for $700CAD.

And I'm at driver level 319 so its not like I don't play.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Thought we might get something this afternoon, but nothing so far. Its interesting to speculate but I'm sure a lot of the above is already fixed in place. The point of the leak was they were discussing the new IoW line due out next week but clearly as its made there are some features which won't be apparent until TSW3 is out, i.e. this route is one of those made for TSW3 but playable in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  36. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I hope with TSW 3, we’ll see the first route extension or route merge to happen. I’m not saying it should come day one, but TSW 3 should be the platform an extension or merger needs to make this happen.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

Didnt they say they now work on a new board game IP? My guess lays there. Or maybe this is a new version of their fishing game?

Don't jump to conclusions to early, community.

38. alexjjones6024

Ok so I think I have figured out what they are potentially able to do with TSW3, that they could not do before. That I assume, is to alter era's of routes so that you can have a modern/older period of route and they wouldn't have to start building a route from scratch. Hence why the diesel legends pack was abit under valued as it was based on a modern route etc and just enabled them to play trains on a modern route instead without making any sort of changes

39. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

That would be a great feature and aid the roll out of Steam locos considerably IMO.

40. alexjjones6024

There's so many aspects for this in the game, I think alot of ideas above have raised some food for thought, for the direction of this Simulator in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  41. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Maybe TSW3, is next release of the update from the Preservation Team

• Like Like x 1
  42. ROG_Andeddu

ROG_Andeddu New Member

Just purchased a lot of DLCs yesterday in Steam Summer Sale. Will they just abandon development for this game? Does make me sad :(
    Will not be buying TSW3, but will gladly purchase DLCs for this game.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The DLCs wont get abandoned. If TSW3 becomes a new title as TSW2 was, the preservation crew will port the TSW1/TSW2 DLCs over to the new game. If it is just a title refresh, everything will remain intact. You have nothing to worry about

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I kinda hope we don't have to wait on TSW3 for these.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That's just an assumption. Although it may be likely, you can't be 100% certain. Stop giving people unreliable information.

• Like Like x 4
  46. ARuscoe

Don't think this has much to do with the engine, and more to do with how DTG have set up scoring and rewards (ie trophies)
    If the game is set up that you get AP points for "being a good driver" and that "good driver" is sticking under line speed, getting to platform or destination on time and stopping in the right place then anything which messes up the timing messes up the scoring and thus trophies (annoying those people who like collecting everything yellow and shiny)
    We also know that the way timetables in game are written are very strict and even a minor variation (probably in AI drivers) can cause red light issues which mainly involve an AI train stopping on a junction flattening everything around it and locking up the system
    So for "random events" such as broken down trains and so on to work you would need to have a number of things in place :
    • either no points system at all in certain modes OR a points system that is NOT reliant on being at a specific platform at a specific time, thus allowing flexibility and still getting the ability to get a gold. Maybe this could be based on the "You start with a thousand points and lose them for driving badly" method rather than gaining points for being a good driver
    • dynamic diversions. If a timetabled train is due to go down the fast line but the fast line is blocked, can trains go down the slow lines (with resulting queues of trains)? I think this would necessitate the "go to the open available platform" dispatcher update Matt ruled out in the roadmap this week
    • the ability to cut a timetable run short - oftentimes where a train brakes down and there is no alternative means for the following trains to bypass those services get cut short. This COULD happen in game, but of course some sort of player warning at the beginning (or a new mode of game) would be needed as people expecting a 25 minute run but getting a 10 minute cut short one might get "annoyed"
    Now I would be very very happy with "random events" and especially adverse signals (just about every timetable run in game is a green light special) and of course dynamic is always good so if you do the same run ten times at least once there should be something which isn't just a green go get there drive... You know, like maybe a freighter left early (it happens). And for those who want everything "just so", have it as a check box on start up and let them get their big points score

• Like Like x 3
  47. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

That scenario is way, way more likely than TSW2 being totally abandoned along with all its DLC...which is what the guy I replied to was implying. I would rather give someone information that is 95% more likely than letting him think something 5% likely is going to happen

48. ARuscoe

Just read all comments with "in my opinion" at the front and it stops comments seeming like lies, mistruths or misleads

• Like Like x 4
  49. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Everything is just opinions until we get official announcement or another leak.
    Thinking about it Adam hasn't leaked anything since his arrival so he muat be overdue a slip up by now.

50. ARuscoe

Do you mean pres crew Adam?