Spirit Of Steam Ps4 Questions

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Jul 5, 2022.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Ok so I was and still am tbh prepared to wait for a decent sale before I buy this dlc due to the fact I’m still on PS4 and don’t really think it’s fair charging £24.99 for what is a less immersive experience than PS5 even though should I get a PS5 when they eventually become more obtainable In around 20 years ( Joke! ) I would get a free PS5 update. However my kids bought me PlayStation vouchers for Father’s Day ( Thanks kids ) specifically to buy SOS and they are wondering why I haven’t bought it yet? So I’m maybe looking to buy SOS so I don’t inadvertently offend them and make them think I’m ungrateful.

What I’d really like to know is on PS4 is the SOS experience really worth getting in peoples opinions on here? I’m up to speed with what you don’t get on PS4 compared to a PS5 but I really can’t decide if the lesser experience is worth it or not bearing in mind I’m most likely going to be on PS4 for a while yet. No one on YouTube seems to want to do a video of SOS on PS4 which really isn’t helpful and quite annoying for PlayStation plebs like me.

Secondly I’d like to know just how hard driving these steam trains actually is? I’ve never really been a steam train fan and I still consider myself quite a new player to TSW2 even though I’ve had the game for around a year now. In fact it’s only now I consider myself fully proficient driving the diesel’s and modern electrics and fully understanding how this game works.

Thirdly can someone explain all the short cut buttons on a PS4 game pad for driving a steam train in SOS. What buttons for example controls the large and small injectors, Those valves on the floor of the cab that gets rid of water ( I can’t remember their name at the moment. LOVE valves ? ) etc. I’m not really interested trying to drive these steam trains via the on screen sliders quite simply because it’s too hit and miss trying to use the specific controls using the cursor function via the game pad. I’m here just to enjoy driving trains and a bit of stress free relaxation and escapism.

All pretty basic and obvious questions these I suppose and ultimately it’s up to me to decide whether to take the plunge or not which I probably should since it’s a fathers day gift. I’d just really like to be sure what I’m actually getting into before I decide to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Hard to say. I like the atmosphere of the old trains and stations. Won't get into the limitations you know but freight is very deflating with only one type of car, outside of the scenario designer and the braking issues, altho an update was said to fix that but who knows, as I haven't tried it since.

But the passenger runs are pretty glorious. The steam train is easy to run, in fact, managing it on manual fireman, makes even a slow run interesting, as it gives you something to do other than staring out a window for ten minutes at a time. In fact, I hope they upgrade it further to be more realistic, use the other features they modeled but didn't make functional and fix a couple flaws, like the blower decreasing steam pressure when the regulator is open. The train rattles and sways as it rolls down the track and it's very satisfying when you get the steam engine up a hill. However, it still spads out when it shouldn't and it's easy to legitimately run a red because the signals are complicated. But it really feels awesome to drive it, with the smoke and view out the front window. I hate going slow in this game but this is the one route that doesn't bother me at all with that because you really do feel in a different era and getting to speed is a bit of an achievement.

I don't think many of those have shortcuts maybe the large injector. The front and rear dampers are a pain to get to sitting down, along with the blower being under the regulator sometimes.

It might not be the route you want for pure escapism. Tougher to drive, tho far more satisfying, and alot easier to run red signals. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shhweeet#4292

Thanks for replying it was very informative and helpful. I know the questions I asked were pretty basic and obvious in a way but I really am undecided as to whether to take the plunge with this? Part of me loves the era it’s set in and the challenge of driving a steam train is kind of appealing even though my heart is with the BR era diesels. I also love going fast rather than slow, in fact reading what you’ve said it seems to me SOS is ideally suited for something like WSR which would make WSR more interesting and satisfying to play which for me is too slow for the diesels. Scenario planning steam trains onto that would be getting used a lot and probably could be quite enjoyable. The short cut controls for the more minor functions of the steam train that you seem to have to learn to use ( Or possible lack of them? ) Could be an issue on PlayStation because I really do find driving even the diesels a bit of a pain trying to get natural accuracy with the game pad cursor and sliders. I find it much more enjoyable driving in TSW2 by using short cut buttons even though it’s not as authentic but then again I do regard myself as a casual train fan and gamer. The forthcoming new IOW line might be more up my street although tbh do I really need another IOW dlc? Hum I’m still gonna have to mull this over some more. LOL. In the meantime if anyone else has any thoughts they would be very welcome from me and others who might be having a similar delima?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

The steam trains are great trains to drive, and the sound of them is also great. I am lucky enough though to have a PS5, but I am sure I would love it just as much on my PS4, just not tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I think the route is worth the purchase. It’s unlikely to be on any significant sale anytime soon.

The route is very nice and even on ps4 the timetable is reasonable.

The steam engines are a challenge to drive but not always for the right reasons. My main challenge is to stop the safety valves blowing. When they release the fireman update hopefully we will be able to control the water and fire properly. They are still satisfying to take over a route though and they sound great.

Regulator, Reverser, brake and whistle can easily be controlled with the controller but for other controls you will have to go inside the cab. It’s not too much of a faf but the cab is dark so I often leave the light on. Selecting the dampers can be fiddly sometimes and you can’t lean out which is annoying.

Another joy is taking the steam engines into different routes. Running over northern transpennine or a similarly hilly route is extremely satisfying or even taking it for a spin on a busy commuter route as a rail tour. If you aren’t good at using scenario planner then there are quite a few cool scenarios on the creators club to save you some time.

• Like Like x 2
  6. shhweeet#4292

Great replies. It’s starting to be sold to me.

7. zedgie68

zedgie68 Member

I purchased SOS even though there was reports of glitches but I love driving the Jubilee and the whole route. I've noticed a flaw recently when arriving at Edge Hill Station where theres a stuttering frame rate. The rest of the route is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

To be honest, I haven’t even touched the 8f yet.
    I think that shows how much entertainment there is to be had from just one steam engine alone.
    I’m looking forward to trying some of the 8f freight runs once they fix the wagon brakes.

I should of said too that I’m on PS4 and it runs fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend SOS. there is nothing like operating a steamer at 50mph. Controls are similar to other trains on controller. Regulator is throttle, and reverser is also same control. A few thing such as dampeners and valves need manually operating, but once you get the hang of it, its fairly easy.

• Like Like x 1