Train Sim World 2 - A Coastal Retreat

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Alex, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting to see the pricing on this add-on? It's $23 (USD) for the Class 484 on a modern-day Isle of Wight, which you may realize is cheaper than the 2010s-style Isle of Wight, which is $25.

Considering these are separate routes, that's pretty interesting that the version with a better timetable, better scenery, and a train that's appealing to more people, is the cheaper version. Kinda makes the original Isle of Wight seem like a silly purchase. Of course, I don't think the price should be changed at all. I just think it's kinda interesting.

2. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

To be fair the original Isle of Wight will still be way cheaper during a sale, so it's not entirely pointless. With that said it kind of shows how silly it is that DTG never change the base pricing for these addons. Even dropping Isle of Wight 2020's base price five dollars to be just below the new one would make so much more sense than it currently is.

3. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the helpful feedback...
    But seriously, would you mind sharing your thoughts with us? ^^

Nope. It's the updated water (with the foam effect) from West Cornwall Local, it's audio occlusion mixes fixed on the Class 483, it's the added PIS system, it's minor changes on the gameplay and it's overall fixes/improvements on the scenery.

Oh and regarding the price: We though about it that way: It's basically a loco addon (11.99 Pound) with a route attached to it (3.00). We think that sounds quite fair, given the amount of new details which are in there.

• Like Like x 17
  4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Jasper - I’ve just loaded up IOW after the update went in today and the sea has not been upgraded to WCL standard. In fact, the sea has been removed altogether. Playing on Xbox One X

5. Kangaroo Conductor

Kangaroo Conductor Well-Known Member

I don't think they lie intentionally. I just think they genuinly forgott what they said before.

6. junior hornet

Out of interest, the hovercraft shown for the new line is the “old” hovercraft rather than the ones currently in service with the Union Flag on the front. Is this a licensing issue as well (although I don’t think the hovercraft company can claim copyright on the Union Flag design)?

Maybe the new ones are both out at sea. To be fair, having watched the webcam, the old one can still often be seen on the site.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Eh, I guess maybe it's an insight into what percentage of those revenues go towards the licensing deals?

8. Princess Entrapta

I imagine that the Brading passing loop will help contribute somewhat towards Rivet's timetabling options this time around.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kangaroo Conductor

Very much looking forward to this. Out of curiousity, in case you're able to answer this; is this a new business model Rivet is experimenting with here? That's the second time a route gets the "release, then enhance" treatment.

Personally, I like this idea, and would see another one for arosa again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Got a pic comparison? I'd love to see the Union flag on there. Saying that does anyone have a pic of the new livery on the 484?

11. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

I might not think everything they put out is the best, but it is good to see Rivet engaging with the community. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Hence why i said unintentionally

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There's also a lot said in passing which may be intentions or wish list which people take as announcements...

14. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

That's not good... Could you email us at contact@rivet-games.com with a screenshot? Will forward to our devs anyway.

Cheers, happy to hear that. ☺️
    No, it's not a "new business model" we're experimenting with. We wanted to do the Class 484 and because they had brought an overhaul on the route with them, we wanted to do the same overhaul to our route (+ bringing it up to todays standard, going further from there and incooperating what we've learned over the years).

• Like Like x 4
  15. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

This certainly doesn't sound intentional. Can you DM me with details (and a screenshot if you can), please?

I know the update rolled out gradually over the past 12 hours or so, so I'm not sure if there's anything else you have in your download queue?

16. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just on the Roadmap live stream. We now timestamp and chapter the key sections within it (Island Line included), to help with navigation, and enable you to watch the bits you're interested in. We try to do that the morning after, so anyone wanting to catch up can do so in the easiest way possible.

Having it in video form allows for a lot more information to be shared and discussion to happen (and for anyone who's tried to transcribe before, summarising a 90-minute video is a pretty large undertaking when we cover as much ground and as many topics as we do). We hope this works for you all.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. That is a great initiative.

18. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...discovered the same problem on PS4 Pro and made two screenshots of it. Already posted it in the Rivet forum!

Water bug Ryde.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

buy a pc :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

You won the best argument of the month :)

• Like Like x 1
  21. Kangaroo Conductor

I am glad that these updates are ported over to the original version of the route, especially the PIS and water rendering. Tho, I would definitely suggest this to become a new business model. Adding features, fixing bugs and providing new content in one paid package seems to be a good deal, and ensures that even old, already released content gets a continued stream of updates. Especially, and most importantly; since third party like Rivet can't do Pres Crew like DTG.

In my opinion, I'd be happy for more of this.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

...already have one (even a powerful one), but playing on console is much more relaxing. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  23. junior hornet

Thanks. That’s exactly the same as the problem I flagged (also put it in the Technical forum). I wasn’t sure how to send them a screenshot from the Xbox so hopefully, this will be sufficient.

24. junior hornet

I don’t have a screenshot as it’s not on the update to the existing route. I think I saw it on the livestream on Tuesday but I might be mistaken and I may have mis-viewed it. No biggie though.

There is a live webcam which shows the current hovercraft (with the Union Flags front) and the old one on the right of the picture.

25. junior hornet

Has anyone seen the latest video from Rivet showing the new features? Go to 4.20 and look at the plant pots in the shape of trains. It seems the copyright issue that stops them using the correct livery on the trains doesn’t apply to plant pots. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  26. Princess Entrapta

Presumably as any associated trade dress is limited specifically to use on actual passenger trains, but not on symbolic representations of them.

• Like Like x 1
  27. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

I thought the exact same thing although I am sure there was some sort of deal or something along those lines allowing them to do it.

28. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the updated route will have a decent amount of start points for scenario planner i.e. all platforms such as at Ryde St John' s Road, the depot, sidings etc.

29. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there will at least be static stock on the updated route with a few 484s stabled at St John's Road.

• Like Like x 1
  30. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Won't be to much considering Island line only has 5 units in real life.

• Like Like x 4
  31. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I just watched a video on the updated Island Line in real life from Geoff Marshall, and looks like rivet have done a bang up job to me.

And this is coming from someone who has been very vocal on the anti-Rivet front. But I have to admit they seem to have gotten this one right.

To me the price makes perfect sense and looks to be the 1st Rivet DLC since Arosa that I will buy day 1.

But I'm still waiting for that "oh there's the old Rivet" issue to come up. Hopefully it won't happen this time around fingures crossed.

• Like Like x 3
  32. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Worst case is you cant upload your livery to Creators Club. DTG have never put any restrictions on what liveries we can produce and run ourselves, and I don't think they could even do this if they wanted to.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Princess Entrapta

Yeah, soon as I saw this I immediately thought of Geoff's video on it, and yeah. Looks good so far.

• Like Like x 1
  34. devonte333

devonte333 New Member

The train has a square not circle

Attached Files:

35. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah they aren’t allowed to use the IRL livery.

36. devonte333

devonte333 New Member

What?

37. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

SWR would not give Rivet permission to use their brand.

Therefore, Rivet cannot use the livery that is used on the 484 in reality.

• Like Like x 1
  38. devonte333

devonte333 New Member

Ok

39. junior hornet

Actually, I’m quite warming to the fictional livery. The front of the train looks like a smiley face.

40. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Is there anything major they talked about in the preview stream? I wasn’t really able to focus on the broadcast as I had some other things going on at the same time.

41. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Having been very sceptical about this route re-release and the class 484, I must say that this new version looks and sounds very nice. They have clearly improved the scenery, the train looks good and sounds realistic enough to me. The livery looks nice, I assume they had to make it different enough so not to get into trouble with SWR. It appears there are still discussions about getting a licence so maybe one day the train will be updated to carry the correct livery.

There are lots of nice little typical Rivet touches, like the signal box you can explore and little details like postcards. Also, take note DTG, you can wander around a much greater distance in certain areas, like at Ryde Esplanade, quite far outside the station limits. Something DTG should do a little more of in my opinion.

So although I was certain I wouldn't purchase it as I rarely play the original version, this seems enough of an improvement to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  42. redrev1917

Ive pre-ordered it already, but the lack of safety systems demonstrated tonight is a bit of a red flag for me. Although TBF I didn't think the Island Line had AWS fitted.

What was shown looked good and the horn especially sounded great IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  43. theorganist

There are safety systems, they confirmed they were fitted. Jasper had them turned off as I don't think he wanted the distraction of them, although it is hardly the Brighton Mainline!

• Like Like x 1
  44. redrev1917

The cynic in me thinks that they were switched off because they aren't working correctly. But then paranoia and cynicism are symptoms of my mental disorder.

45. theorganist

Ah I see, well it could be that, however he did seem to be at pains to make it clear they were working, which I took to be genuine so from a fellow paranoia I think they will be there. There is a release stream next week I believe so we will see for certain I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  46. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I suspect this will turn up in my collection at some point… probably if it goes on discount at Halloween or Xmas, which is presumably when the next Steam sales are due.

47. junior hornet

I am unclear as to what is the point of the new collectibles if there is no achievement for collecting them all.

Also, I asked in the stream whether they have tested on Gen 8 consoles to ensure that the sea is not absent as it is after the recent update to the old route. The answer was basically that is is a known problem that is being looked at. However, this answer addressed the old route. What I would like to know is whether the problem is present on the new route upon release. If it has been tested on Gen 8 consoles, which it should have been, then a straightforward yes/no answer should be possible.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  48. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Something to do other than driving...

• Like Like x 1
  49. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I am very impressed by the detail they have put into the train. It all looks rather good from the stream last night.

I’m not sure I like the collectables just disappearing though. I much prefer things appearing or changing to add to the scenery rather than things going awol. It’s so easy to accidentally ‘collect’ them as you walk past that it would be a shame to see them go if you decided you would rather have them present. Not the biggest issue I’ve ever come across in TSW but I thought it worth a mention.

• Like Like x 2
  50. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

There would be no incentive though for some since your not getting an achievement