Todays Update!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by steamylocoman, Jul 5, 2022.

1. steamylocoman

steamylocoman Well-Known Member

I got an update (105,8 Mb) today but I do not own Metropolitan Line so what else was updated?

2. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Just Trains' assets are shared with other routes, you might have gotten the updated assets but not the route update. (Total delta patched size 9.8 GB)

What I found was patched:

Assets\JustTrains\ChilternMainline\ChilternMainlineAssets.ap
    Assets\JustTrains\CommonLibrary\CommonLibraryAssets.ap
    Assets\JustTrains\LULibrary\LULibraryAssets.ap
    Assets\JustTrains\MetLine\MetLineAssets.ap
    Assets\JustTrains\S_StockMarkers\S_StockMarkersAssets.ap

And (if you own it)
    Content\Routes\13a0930b-1dac-417e-8680-cf94a782e1f8\MainContent.ap

Everyone who had extracted the .ap files before, be aware that this might cause problems now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2022
  3. helderbrincolas

helderbrincolas Well-Known Member

i own the Met Line, but only got the 105mb update. The JT website says the route is onlycompatible with the JT version, i guess that information is outdated with this patch right?

4. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The update comes as a delta patch - meaning only data differences are downloaded and the .ap files get patched. So 100MB download can result in 10GB of files patched. This is a bandwidth saving method of patching because you don't need to redownload all files.

Second question, I won't be leaning out the window. Not sure. This is a Steam patch for the Steam version. (JT's version does not use .ap files). Mixing them could result in OOMs.

5. helderbrincolas

But JT said that they were waiting for dtg to come out with an update for the Met Line for the Enhancement pack to become compatible with the steam version

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Can't speak for JT. If they say so, it should be like that. (Don't have the EP yet)

7. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Patch notes are in the announcements, the Just Trains Common Library updated at the same time as the Metropolitan Line

8. helderbrincolas

With this update the JT enhancement pack is compatible with the steam version right?

9. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

I did not, manually, however I'm a bit uncertain, whether I should delete the old ones.
    upload_2022-7-5_17-27-29.png
    I generally remember something being removed and then reinstalled every time I decided to click Verify Integrity.
    I have a few things, so...
    upload_2022-7-5_17-28-47.png

10. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I would move everything but the CommonLibraryAssets.ap in the CommonLibrary folder to a backup location, because those files will block loading of the updated assets inside the .ap because they have higher priority (If TS encounters a file that is both present in the .ap and outside, the latter will be used).

Everything should be contained in there already, so make sure the .ap is the only thing in this folder, also delete blueprints.pak if present.

Your additional folders most likely stem from a JT version.

This is what's inside the latest CommonLibrary.ap. You can compare the folder sizes with your loose folders.

This is how it is at the moment - mixed JT/Steam content requires manual file maintenance to prevent OOMs.

There's another method if you want to stay safe. First copy all your CommonLibrary folder contents to another temporary folder. Then unpack the latest CommonLibrary.ap to that place and say Yes to Overwrite Files. Only advised if you know what you're doing.... You can then repack this folder or replace the old folder with the new merged one. This method is needed when the .ap is missing files you have outside - which should not be the case here, but I wrote this just for info.

22.png

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Does this mean they have cured the cause of the OOM's? Guess I'll find out in about 5 minutes when I fire it up...

12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The basic cause of JT's OOMs is that they don't distribute their files in the same way for Steam as they do on their own. And many have bought their content both from Steam and JT directly, which leads to the file combo triznya.andras has posted. That means older files stay in there and will be used no matter if Steam updated the .ap - which will only update Steam distributed files.

So for really fixing all JT asset related OOMs - they'd have to agree on one single distribution format with DTG. Either both .ap or both normal unpacked files - and apply that to the whole back catalogue. Everything else is bound for trouble.

I don't know if it's in JT's interest though - it should. While having more profit with their own distribution (no 30% Steam fee), there's many users who prefer the super comfortable process of installing Steam content and not needing to check for updates.

I can fully understand why DTG cannot offer support in case of these mixed installations.

13. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea. I'll move them to a backup location and see. Most likely I won't notice, but I could run a verification and see if it restores them. Meaning, no backup needed.

I don't have anything 3rd party at all. Either some cleanup didn't happen well, or...
    Just a bit of fiddling in the name of science. 2022-05-23, clearly the last update.
    Decals: 3 files, installed 2021-03-13.
    Lights, OcclusionVolumes: empty.
    Scenery / Clutter: lots of files from 2022-03-18.

2021-03-13: Lovely, I didn't purchase anything that day. However, there is this:
    upload_2022-7-5_19-15-11.png
    On that date, I got: Cornish Main Line - Plymouth to Penzance. The newer ones might be those I noticed flip-flopping.
    (I occasionally checked "what's new in the file system", to weed out leftover scenarios, pictures, etc.)

2022-03-18: Easier, it's Valley Corridor.

Hence, I'm not sure anymore :D Well, a verify can't hurt, been through missing assets (Colton & Northern, due to removing Rascal & Cottonwood). Hope it helps anyway!

14. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Ok, that's because older JT routes are supplied as single files even through Steam. I'd say you can remove them, if you have time - compare the folders to the .ap if everything is contained in there. I'd lean out of that window and say yes because JT is aware of these issues and have released many CommonLibrary patches over the last months.

So, the CommonLibraryAssets.ap should contain all previously released assets, and all updated ones in one single file.

I just checked - the assets you are showing in your screenshot have been superseded by the CommonLibraryAssets.ap - if you don't delete them those 2021 files will be used (though in this specific case - the "JTMS Stopping Point" - you won't notice as they are the same). Modification date is when JT last touched the files.
    33.png

Cyclone is working on a comprehensive Excel sheet concerning all assets distributed by JT.

Note: Be aware that a file verification will bring those folders back if the Steam Depot of these routes has not been updated. Which is what I would instruct if I were head of QA.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Here's the main thing for the Metropolitan Line update. While I don't own the new update patch at Just Trains, and thus can't confirm, I would suspect that an attempt to run the installer would claim the route cannot be found. This is the same reason the Derby to Nottingham MML extension can't be installed on top of a Steam install of the Midland Main Line from Sheffield to Derby, or why the Aylesbury route can't simply extend the Chiltern Main Line. The installer actually checks for a Just Trains installation and finds none, because the registry entries it makes are not provided. Even the free Midland Main Line scenario pack fails to install because the scenarios are mostly for the merged routes and additional exclusive extensions (like Matlock), not the individual route; thus, the free pack install also seeks the JT version.

Though their free SWER pack might work. Don't quote me on that.

Meanwhile, the Common Library, as torf noted, updates with multiple routes. You don't have to have the Metropolitan Line.

A funny irony is that scenarios are included with the update, and a lot of them. It's like a glorified scenario pack with new scenery, about a dollar per scenario if you ignore the fact there are S7 and S8 versions, so 12 identical scenarios for each. It's like the scenery is almost free.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022