Est Croydon Question On Lbm

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have noticed as I play this route that up trains tend to be routed through this station on platform track 1, which is a 30 mph track. This is without regard to whether it stops or not. For those who live in the area, I am in the US, is this what actually happens since there are 6 station tracks and the others seem to have the 45 mph limit.

2. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Yes, this is exactly what happens. Platform 2 is bi-directional and is usually reserved for northbound traffic to London Bridge or southbound Gatwick Express services that are overtaking a southbound fast service in platform 3.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...1/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=GX
    This link to Realtime Trains shows all Gatwick Express trains through ECR on Monday next week. Nearly all southbound trains these days go through platform 2 and all northbound trains go through platform 1.

The thing to consider is: How does slowing down for half a minute impact the journey? There are a few trains ahead of that on its track also going to Victoria and they all have a stop at Clapham Junction first. Then, at Victoria, Gatwick Express have two dedicated platforms, 13 & 14 and usually both are occupied. Once one leaves, the other arrives a few minutes later. So, there's not really anything to gain from keeping the speed up.

tl;dr yeah that's right. :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There's a reason why the Southern Region was known as the "Tramway", It's cos it's slow...

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Thanks for those responses.