Tsw3 - The Cat Is Out Of The Bag & The Unofficial Tsw3 Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Whoops , I meant last gen . Next gen should be around for a longggg time

2. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

X1X is only 5 years old and although it's classed as gen 8 it's still technically more powerful than Series S so that fact alone kind of makes things tricky when discussing the removal of a generation of consoles. The only thing wrong with XB1 is that developers just can't be bothered fully utilising the capability of the console in the same way they did with X360 because it's far too easy nowadays to insist on the need for more power instead of spending more time optimising their product. When you look at the likes of Forza 5 (near-flawless 1080p60fp visuals) you really have to ask the question as to why, eight full years later, games still struggle to draw/render basic details a mere few feet in front of you. That's not a console performance issue (because it also happens on my Series X), that's just a super lazy attitude towards console game development.

• Like Like x 4
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The Xbox One X is 5 years old and technically it is close in power to an Xbox Series S. Should DTG abandon xbox series s users since it is not as powerful and thus would be holding the game back?

Heck the Xbox One X has higher fidelity rates than the Xbox Series S

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. tallboy7648

I wonder if the same people saying last gen should be abandoned will say that the Xbox Series S should also be abandoned. After all the series s is technically less powerful than a Xbox One X. The Xbox One X has 12 GB of ram. The Xbox Series S has 10 GB of ram. The Xbox One X has a more powerful GPU than the Xbox Series S with the Xbox One X having 6 Teraflop AMD whilst the Xbox Series S has 4 Teraflop AMD. The Xbox Series S does have a more powerful CPU than a Xbox One X which means that the One X can run games at 4k or 1080P but at 30 FPS whilst the Series S can hit higher frame rates (60-120 FPS) and has quicker loading times. That's really it. To those that insist that 8th gen be abandoned, should the xbox series s be abandoned then as well?

The arguments of abandoning last gen are just ridiculous because then they are really arguing that series s should also be abandoned. Yes gen 8 can't be supported forever as time goes on but there is no vaild argument as to why it should be abandoned other than the assumption that last gen is holding this game back which just isn't true. It's all settings based. DTG just has to optimize the game on both gens even if it means that last gen gets less features than current gen as we have already seen.

Here are some videos that compare the two systems if you are curious to know a bit more about the systems

• Like Like x 4
  5. Yes they should. Like all game developers do. Or should we keep gen 8? How long should we keep gen 8, until 2030? What's gonna be on people's minds in 2030, when all the other game titles have superb graphics and utilize the latest game engines and hardware and tsw is still in 2018? What's dtg's income gonna be like when, for example trainz looks better? And performs better.

What would even be the point of Sony or Microsoft developing consoles if players wanna stay stuck in the past?

• Like Like x 3
  6. tallboy7648

So your saying that DTG should abandon the Xbox Series S? I didn't ask if they should abandon gen 8? I asked if they should abandon the Xbox Series S. After all it has less power than a Xbox One X

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes they should. And any other console that can't handle 4k. The Series S! Seriously, why! What was the point. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Why I'm even arguing about consoles in a pc discussion thread makes less sense.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

Why is 4k even necessary? The average console player isn't gonna have a 4k tv.

What's next, when 8k becomes more mainstream, abandon systems that don't have 8k? Makes no sense

• Like Like x 1
  9. Every one I know has a 4k TV.

10. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

What makes you say that?

Cheers

11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

We have had a 4K TV and UHD disc player for quite a few years now. In fact we are on our second TV having upgraded when I retired to a 65" screen.

12. tallboy7648

Not everyone i know has a 4k tv. Not everyone has a 4k tv. Still though, why is 4k necassary?

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

When TSW looks as good as Red Dead Redemption 2 or Forza Horizon 5, then DTG (and others) can claim that 8th gen hardware is maxed out and they have to move on. Until that time, it’s just blaming hardware for software issues.

• Like Like x 11
  14. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I don't have a 4K TV for what it's worth. Heck the only time I've ever seen 4K in person is looking at them in shops. I think companies seriously overestimate how much people care about 4K, I've never met anyone who does and I think the vast majority of players are content with 1080p. Framerate is more important imo.

I still think it's time to at the very least leave behind the base PS4 and Xbox Ones. I do agree that keeping the game available for Xbox One X and even PS4 Pro might be smart though. I'm not sure if there are any games that have that kind of arrangement though. I know some games for the "New" Nintendo 3DS that are playable on the "New" series of models but not the base 3DS, but that's the only example I can think of where certain games are only available on the upgraded models of consoles.

As for the Series S, I actually wouldn't put it past DTG to leave it behind if they felt it necessary. Microsoft had to be aware of it's limited specs when designing it and I wouldn't at all be surprised if in two or so years when true "next gen" games are out then other developers will leave it behind.

• Like Like x 2
  15. tallboy7648

A game cant just be made for the Xbox One X only as far as I know because it's part of the Xbox One family meaning that any game made for Xbox One will apply to all xbox one consoles (Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My own guess is, they leaked it on purpose because the empty roadmap and silence since months started to be a little strange for some people. So yea right on the big roadmap stream (which didnt have anything really new beside rivets content) they are moving cams on the screen ;) and strangley tsw3 related stuff seems to appear.

Well im glad, at least there is hope the franchaise has a bigger future. Some people were worried its getting the same fate as flight sim world.

• Like Like x 3
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't got a 4k TV (just saying)!

• Like Like x 5
  18. tallboy7648

I guess it's just easier to blame hardware for not getting what they want to see in the game rather than blame the company itself.

• Like Like x 4
  19. The same reason 720 and 1080 then 1440 was necessary. If 4k isn't necessary why do most modern gpu's support 4k. Why does the ps5 and xbox series x support 4k? Why do tv companies make 4k tvs if they are not necessary. Grand theft auto, cyberpunk, snowrunner, most new games offer 4k resolutions, 10 years ago they offered 4k resolutions. Sky tv, Netflix, amazon prime, Hulu and so on offer 4k services. Even commercials are broadcast in 4k. Cartoons are 4k these days.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tallboy7648

Good for them I say. 1080p tvs are quite standard these days. 4k whilst nice is just an improved resolution. It's not necessary for a game to have 4k to be successful and a console not having 4k isn't a reason for it to be dropped. Not everyone has 4k tv's so really it's good for those that have it rather than those who don't. That doesn't make it a necessary feature. It's just a extra feature to be honest

• Like Like x 1
  21. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Because people will pay for anything if someone says it's better than what came before ;)

• Like Like x 7
  22. tallboy7648

Capitalism at it's finest ;)

• Like Like x 4
  23. Your totally right. For a developer to sell a game on console it has to run on all the versions or refreshes whatever you want to call them, without performance issues.

Where a multi million dollar company like take two will will put a load of devs onto a refresh of the game and release a different or better version for the later version of the console smaller companies like dtg I guess just can't afford to do the same.

This is my point. Dtg is limited to what they can do because they have to accommodate for the older less powerful consoles.

You can argue its unfair to drop gen 8 because of gen 8 owners, then I could argue its unfair for people that buy the ps5 or series x or a £3000 pc and get stuck with the graphics performance of a 10 year old console because of this.

These terms and conditions of Sony and Microsoft (mainly sony) are probably half the reason we ain't allowed the editor for tsw this is just my opinion on that topic though.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

One thing to remember Series GPU's are more modern than what is in the old Xbox One X console so its not a straight forward 4 compared to 6 TF and One X does not have ray tracing unlike series S.

25. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

The sooner they switch to the next gen simulator the better. TSW2 has already shown everything it can offer and more makeup won´t make it better. I just hope they don´t use that 400 years old game engine again.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  26. euaningarfill

euaningarfill Active Member

Tsw2 is trying to be a simulator where to other two are not

27. euaningarfill

What 400 year game engine?

28. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

You say that but if they did introduce TSW3 and then port over the TSW2 routes surely that just leave as in square one with the old bugs no?

This surely has to be the No.1 reason for going to UE5. The lighting in TSW2 is embarrassing at times and do not buy any DTG oven ready excuses.

As for Multiplayer I don't think it would work very well, I can see a place for a limited co-op. Play as a passenger(s) or a guard say but for me I would like a career mode and a scoring system that made sense.

Ditching Gen8 will be a tough one for DTG as they get most of their revenue from them. Gen8 is starting to have different versions in TSW2 but if their is a switch to TSW3 and Gen 8 can still run the game then DTG will be foolish to get rid of them. Would DTG keep TSW2 active for the benefit of Gen8 if say Gen8 couldn't handle TSW3 (with things like new lighting) . If they could upgrade TS1 to TSW2 I bet there would be quite a few that would not be bothered about TSW3.

Still find it odd there is no comment from DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  29. tallboy7648

Oh i am aware but is ray tracing really a necessary thing. I mean don't get me wrong I think ray tracing is cool, but a game not having ray tracing for me isn't much of a deal breaker for me and some players. Your gonna have to look hard to notice things like that to an extent anyways.

Ray Tracing is in UE4 that can be implemented if DTG wanted to. Last Gen ain't the reason why we don't got certain features

• Like Like x 1
  30. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I was fully expecting a TS3 at some point, though I was expecting another year or two (in line with Sony/MS's support for Xbone/PS4 ending (after 12 years nearly) at which point support for the previous gen consoles would be dropped. A name change/clean break would help ease compatibility confusion.

Was I expecting it this soon? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  31. tallboy7648

Ok so DTG are a small company. Here's the thing though, there are features that can be introduced for current gen consoles and pc that don't have to be introduced for last gen if there is a performance problem. Things like sparks for instance. An Xbox Series X should have enough power to handle that. Extra services, dynamic events etc. Last gen isn't the reason why certain features aren't in the game. DTG simply chooses not to implement the features that some players want in the game. Mind you there are many things players want to see in the game. But then it's easy to blame last gen for not getting what a pc/current gen player wants. That's what it boils down too. Ultimately it's down to DTG to implement what players want to see. It's their choice at the end of the day. Last Gen ain't the reason why you aren't getting what you want in the game, it's DTG

• Like Like x 2
  32. tallboy7648

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a simulator that looks way better than TSW2. It's easy to blame hardware for DTG's terrible design choices I guess rather than DTG themselves

• Like Like x 4
  33. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

No, it's for DTG to implement what they think will SELL

• Like Like x 1
  34. tallboy7648

This as well. But if DTG also implements what players want to see, then the product sells so technically it's both

35. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not quite.
    They have a list of the most in demand routes, trains and assets as well as things like Multiplayer, guard mode and free roam.
    So far the closest we have is the WCML in SoS... And even then the fireman is on speed, so the safety valve goes off whenever you decide to stop.
    So they have the list of things to make (and they haven't) the list of ways people want to play (and they haven't done those either) but they're still selling DLC because in the end people want to drive trains and this is still one of the best (probably top five) train driving games available, and just about the only one on console

• Like Like x 1
  36. tallboy7648

You have a point. Also let's face it, if DTG made a new route with no new features, it would still sell regardless as you pointed out

• Like Like x 2
  37. Dtg did implement sparks with sos.

Dtg are capable of a lot more than what we currently have on offer yeah.

The reason behind this could be one or the other or maybe a bit of both.

Dtg I doubt will ever respond to such a question so all we have is speculation I guess.

Extra services, dynamic time tables etc.. isn't really my main concern. The graphics performance and quality is. I just get the feeling that dtg aren't going to spend the time on textures and scenery for the minority of players with the latest hardware if the majority of players are using hardware that can't handle them.

• Like Like x 1
  38. tallboy7648

DTG can improve graphics like how devs for last gen games improve graphics for their games. But ultimately that's up to DTG and again last gen ain't the reason for that either. It's up to them to improve the graphics because it's not like last gen games graphics wise and lighting wise are terrible or not great. They can be but that's up to DTG if they want to improve lighting and graphics

• Like Like x 1
  39. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

To be honest, there's a very reasonable chance that DTG are yet to decide their position on Gen 8 for TSW3 yet

• Like Like x 2
  40. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what you think mate, series S is next gen and Xbox one X is not. It's simply the fact that next gen is being supported and the One X is not going to moving forward.

You can try to tell them to stop supporting it, see how far you get. It (TSW2) works well on Series X/S, however it was poorly optimised by the publisher (DTG).

Simplessss.

41. alexjjones6024

Why are you piping off about Series S running slower/worse than Xbox One X?

It's newer generation and it has newer hardware etc. I guess you have a One X and you are having to have a whinge because you are scared your console will not be supported.

Just learn to accept what you have or don't comment as it's ridiculous mate.

42. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

Condors and ps4s I guess it is then.

I sometimes wonder if tsw is a game outside of its own timeframe. How many gen z people are into trains as a hobby maybe less than 0.3% vs say 50 years ago boomers in their early 20s might account for say 4 or 5 % market share of this type of game

Amazing really the game has a market at all...

Anyhow back to burning my ps4....

• Like Like x 2
  43. euaningarfill

Msfs don't have to get everything right on the ground scenery track signals everything where as train simulators need to one big difference

44. tallboy7648

I have a Xbox Series X mate so not sure your point. Do you think the Series S should be dropped? It is less powerful than a Series S after all and the One X is holding the game back.

• Like Like x 2
  45. tallboy7648

I did say that gen 8 cant be supported forever but the only argument I hear as to why it should be dropped is to the effect of "DTG ain't giving me what I want".

• Like Like x 3
  46. alexjjones6024

I could have bought a Series X but chose not to as I do have a PC also and instead went for the Series S. I don't have any issues with my beloved Series S and I'm sure One X users don't have any issues, except the fact it is defined as 'Gen8' and that means it is categorised as older gen and ultimately joins that group. If they wish to let the One X join next gen then so be it. However, do not limit what next gen features that are being planned for the future of the sim based on the product being last gen. That's what gets under my skin, it is about moving forward and improving the simulator and if they cannot produce new features in old gen, we HAVE to move on and all the unfortunate people on here who throw their dummies out will have no choice but to learn to accept it.

All DTG need now is a competitor to release for new gen, e.g. Sim-Rail (hopefully according to a Facebook message to them), then they (DTG) will have to have a kick up the back side and move with the times to be the best in their field.

*Drops Mic and has a sip of beer*

• Like Like x 2
  47. tallboy7648

True but graphically it's better. Also just because a game is trying to be a simulator hence why it doesn't look good isn't really a valid point. There are many games that aren't simulators that look way better than TSW. Can this game look better, yes but that's up to the developers to improve that.

• Like Like x 3
  48. tallboy7648

So how is last gen really holding the game back then? Please do tell? As a current gen player if I were to buy london commuter, I would have access to the full timetable with layers. Last Gen users don't get layers. As a current gen player I get the max number of passengers. Last Gen gets less. As a current gen player, if I were to get sherman hill, I'd get the full number of cars of the train. I can go on about the features pc and current gen players get then last gen doesn't get

So really how is last gen holding this game back?

• Like Like x 2
  49. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Was there anything insightful in the last five pages that I should go back and read, or shall I just amount it to "chatter"? :)

• Like Like x 4
  50. tallboy7648

Does a Xbox One X being more powerful than an Xbox Series S but Xbox Series S having a higher frame rate and quicker loading times and ray tracing count as insightful? :)

• Like Like x 2