Arosa Line Update Sbb Logo Removal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by torfmeister, Jul 9, 2022.

1. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Now I've setup TS updates to only update when launched - so I'm aware something's incoming and can pause the update until there's an announcement on the patch, and back up the affected assets. This update removed an SBB logo from Chur station - who knows what's to follow. Another BNSF situation?

If I'd been aware of that patch before I would've made a backup to reinsert the file after updating...

I still don't get it why those companies make such a fuss about their logos being used... who's harmed by this? It's a game, and an hommage to the companies and the routes.

Not amused.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2022
  2. simpilot1267

simpilot1267 Member

You are absolutely right!
    This license nonsense about a logo at Chur station... ?!? They don't have real problems in life !!!
    I cannot understand the trouble about this ...

..."who's harmed by this? It's a game, and an hommage to the companies and the routes..."
    I cannot agree more !

I just recommend to do backups of TS classic.

3. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

Is it possible the SBB sign on top of Chur station has been removed in real life?

4. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Companies are like people. They don't want their stuff used without permission. It's a matter of copyright, and being paid for their stuff being used in some cases. They are within their right to say hey, we don't want you using this.

Chances are, however, that someone had already unpacked all of the files at some point in the past and a patch may already exist.

5. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Cyclone, while that's legally correct it doesn't make sense. Because it is a free ADVERTISEMENT.

The affected files are

Assets\Thomson\ArosaLine\Scenery\Stations\textures\...

churbf_A.TgPcDx
    churbf_logos.TgPcDx
    churbf_logos_emissive.TgPcDx

An SBB CFF FFS logo has been replaced by a RhB Rhätische Bahn logo. Remains can be seen in the texture file.

2022-07-10 00_57_53-.png

I hope someone still having the original files will offer a patch containing these somewhere, or I'll make my own, this is not that difficult.

I'm starting to backup my whole Assets folder after getting another external HDD for that on Monday because that patch might just be the start of something - maybe removing SBB CFF FFS logos from rolling stock too?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2022
  6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

No information on that - but very unlikely, as it is operated by the SBB. Even if it were, each TS route represents a certain state of the route in time and should not be changed therefore. Would be very Orwellian/Stalinistic.:(

To make my point - I can live without that logo. But I do not like it - it feels as if someone came into my basement and removed a decal from my model railway. Well, bugger off! ;)

7. Cyclone

It looks great on my ceiling. :cool:

*cough* Joking aside, moving on...

8. simpilot1267

simpilot1267 Member

Hello torfmeister,

do you still need backup files of:

churbf_A.TgPcDx
    churbf_logos.TgPcDx
    churbf_logos_emissive.TgPcDx

????

My backup : 06.06.2022
    old backup file Kopie.jpg
    -> this is just a screenshot of the texture file !
    The question: I am allowed to upload the three files over here ?!?
    Don't know !
    Any admin online to give permission ???

• Like Like x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Most of the time it is not a problem but you will find on You tube the idiots who like crashing trains in the game for fun.
    The people in charge of those companies don't like seeing their logos on trains crashing - even if it is a game.

10. SJA

SJA Active Member

Rightly so, and agreed.

Not living a million miles away from Southall and Ladbroke Grove when those disasters happened - and seeing the documentaries that followed afterwards featuring survivors and first responders - I wouldn't want my brand name being used as a "lol" at the relatives of the deceased either.

I don't understand it personally. When I play Fifa I play it to win football matches with a tactical setup - not lose 0-11. When I use a train driving sim, I use it to drive a train following proper protocols and safety consciousness.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  11. simpilot1267

simpilot1267 Member

Well, till the unexpected will cross your way ...

Can it be ?!
    can it be.jpg

- escaped cows on the track...
    escaped cows on track.jpg

--> Saved by the bell! No minced meat on the track ....
    fortunately no minced meat on the track.jpg

Well, somebody should tell the farmer about his ladies !

• Like Like x 1
  12. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I think this is a myth. It's not about reputation and some youtubers crashing trains (with probably only a few dozen views). It's about money. Following your logic you wouldn't have any of the big companies like DB, SNCF, CSX, BNSF, UP etc. in this game. The News could show no traffic accidents then because you can identify the car makers (who should in consequence remove any brands from their cars because someone could do bad things with their products... nah.)

It is what it is - a licensing issue sadly. Making money out of everything. Which means there are more downgrade patches on the way. Save your files. Next stops Gotthardbahn, Bernina, Surselva, Albula, Engadin.

13. Cyclone

Even if I were a rights holder, I'd chalk it up to the fact that the guy is an idiot. I mean, being a gamer, I completely understand that there are people who will delight in doing that type of thing regardless of the train. Kind of like "I hate everyone equally".

Also, if the game version didn't exist, they'd find some other way to bash a company they truly hate, anyway. So if they want to hold a brand from the game because "John Doe might repeatedly and intentionally crash it", that is a bit of a childish reason, but it is their right.

14. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Would any change in the scenery asset also affect the route files, do we need to archive the route and Assets folders for all the Swiss routes developed by Thomsons and Rivet Games?

Another question would be that there are other SBB signs on these routes, how come it is only 1 sign on the top of Chur Station in particular, and none of the others, bizarre!!

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

In this case they've just changed the texture files. Changing stuff in routes' files is only required if you'd want to completely remove an object. I'd back them up too (Route files don't take up much space as the'yre not containing model or texture data).

The SBB logo in Chur is the only one in this route, as the Albula line starting from Chur is operated by the RhB, but Chur is an SBB mainline station.

And again - removing something from a DLC I've already purchased is not a way to go - I'd accept creating a new package for new customers, but not downgrading existing stuff on my harddrive.

They have left my old South and North Wales Coastal intact - why mess with my files now? I feel I'm being robbed.

So DTG Jamie why are you removing existing brands from already purchased content? This has never been practised before. I'm protesting against this forced patch. Make a new package on Steam for new customers but don't remove existing and paid-for content.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  16. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It seems a bit stupid retro fitting routes that have already been purchased. Of course it could explain why the otherwise excellent Albula Line (and the newer Disentis line which I have yet to purchase) don't run through to Chur. But otherwise as stated above, you might as well say all those who purchased the Marches Line or North Wales Coast before the withdrawal and unbranded release should get their version retroed to the new version, which is total nonsense. IMHO DTG and Thomson/Rivet should stand firm on this.

Also what are they doing with the TSW Arosa line - a similar exercise?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cyclone

You forgot about Cornish Main Line getting a second release to remove branding. Though the old version retains it.