Are These Specs Good Enough For Ts?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danielbrown07, Jul 9, 2022.

1. danielbrown07

danielbrown07 Member

Intel core i5 10300h, 2.5GHz clock speed, 8gb ram, 256 ssd capacity and an nvidia GeForce 1650 4gb video memory

Attached Files:

2. bartlettchris48

bartlettchris48 New Member

Evening Daniel, you will be able to play some TS routes and scenarios with your specifications, I would imagine in 32 bit only as TS states 16gb ram or more for 64bit . Also I started playing TS on a basic laptop where my graphics settings were turned all the way down. I purchased Train Simulator 2020 from CD Keys for very cheap and enjoyed many hours playing Southampton to Bournemouth route.
    All the best Daniel.:)

3. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

The system as described is a decent start but there's a spare slot to add RAM so filling that would not be a bad idea.

The SSD is a bit on the small side- OK to get started (the base spec's for TS say 40GB of free space but it actually takes around 10GB or less) but, if you get into TS, it can grow quite quickly and that's not allowing for whatever else you may install. My system has a 240GB system drive which, with Windows, office and video editing software and not much else other than TS, which occupies over 100GB, is already getting full enough to be a concern. Granted my TS installation has certainly grown since I got started in 2015 with 30+ routes and various rolling stock DLC but it's not exceptional.

Keep in mind that with any drive it is adviseable to keep some 15% to 20% free.

Hope this is helpful.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

The GTX1650 makes absolutely no sense, and is a completely pointless GPU for a new system, especially the GDDR5 version. Last year during the silicon shortage, when it was the only thing you could get, it made SOME sense, but there's just no reason for this GPU to exist any more. 4GB of VRAM is just not enough these days either. Despite being "launched" in 2019, this is actually a Turing based GPU using the TU117 chip and has been hanging around like a bad smell for years now. There's no point in this GPU when you can get a RTX3050 for around £40 more that will comfortably outperform it. The RTX3050, despite being the entry level bottom of the pile GPU is easily more than twice as fast as the 1650... that's now bad the 1650 is. NVidia should really put this GPU out of its misery, and it has no business still being sold with systems now the GPU shortage is pretty much over.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022