Your Opinion? Iow Update 2022

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by @l3x_Fr, Jul 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Rivet just release the video:

In this video, we have a look of what are included with the new DLC.

And as we have this wonderful forum to give our opinion freely, I take this opportunity to give mine.

17.99, wouldn't mind if there had been more. But obviously, tell me if you don't agree! :) , the few improvements are not enough to justify two things: the price of the DLC, and the DLC itself: where we still have to checkout a second time, while the new version IS what we should have had from the start.

MY OPINION:
    A free upgrade for anyone WHO ALREADY OWNS IOW should be considered.

But maybe I'm wrong. Can I have YOUR OPINION?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

At the very least it should be the price of a loco DLC and I certainly don't object to a couple of pounds more for New Signalling, the scenery changes and all the other bits and pieces. Especially as they released a free update to the old route alongside it.

Personally I'm pretty happy with the free update to the old route that we just got, as it was perfectly playable before. It just makes it nicer.

I really don't understand why you think this separate DLC should be free. It's a new train and a rebuilt route.

• Like Like x 5
  3. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I must admit it’s impressive what they have done to the route and some nice touches. I look forward to seeing it in action on the livestream on Tuesday to help form a complete opinion.

I’ve also put a comment on the thread on the Dovetail Live Article discussion regarding the plant pots at 4.20. The ban on using the correct livery obviously doesn’t extend to plant pots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stevenwalker1985

stevenwalker1985 Well-Known Member

Agree with everything u say. The price is to steep and people that already have it should get it for nothing.

5. gibsonaj67

gibsonaj67 Active Member

I find it very hard to understand why players expect a brand new train and route for free ! The amount of time and effort it's taken to produce this new add-on must have been very time consuming. Seeing how the Class 484 was constructed from the ground upwards tells me it's worth every penny Rivet Games are asking for. I just hope that the sea graphics is fixed on my Gen 8 console before release date on the 19th July

• Like Like x 11
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The old version is the old version. The new version with radically altered platforms, track level, textures etc and of course a new train (from scratch) is the new version. Just because it's of the same route doesn't mean a lot of work went into making said changes, the same as if DTG brought out Liverpool - Crewe 22

If you paint a picture of a train you own the copyright even if the livery is a mock up. I will presume the same applies to these plat pots which obviously are not trains and couldn't really be mistaken FOR trains.

People already have what? A version of the Isle of Wight? This is a different version so they don't already have "it", see my comment to l3x_Fr above

• Like Like x 2
  7. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Your opinion is interesting! Thanks and im agree with you, wait the live stream on Tuesday :)

8. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Because i think the upgrade is what we should have had from the start. But yeah, the free little upgrade is good.

9. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Okay, thanks for your reply. For me, the little free upgrade is very not enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Precisely, there is all the error of your answer, and all the "ruse" of Rivet. Let me explain: This is no way a new route. It's a rework. The rework should have been offered ONLY TO PLAYERS WHO ALREADY HAVE IOW. For the material, it could have come in DLC, but it is included precisely to justify the price of 17.99€.

But I understand your opinion! This method is just commercial from rivet and you have drop on it. We must stop thinking that a paid rework is normal because there is a locomotive. The locomotive could have arrived in DLC. But thank you for your advice :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Wahou thanks for your exhaustive reply! I have completely understood your opinion. Its your opinion and i respect it :) We have 2 differents look of that. You: its a completely new route. For me: Its just a rework. And, without the new material, (should come with DLC) for me the update are what should we have had from the start. So just the road update free for all existing possessors of IOW. Paid for new possessors. And the new train as a DLC.
    Have a good day and another thanks to you for your opinion :)

12. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Is "good", because its nothing compared to the 17.99€ upgrade

13. ARuscoe

Not sure why the old DLC should have new platforms and the new passing loop. They didn't exist in the timeframe the DLC is set, but if you want passengers to have to ladder out of a tube train I guess that's your opinion...

It's NOT a rework, there have been changes to the route to allow for the new trains, and the old trains now wouldn't fit. It's not like Rivet have tweaked a few textures and added in some stuff that wasn't there before. New train, new tracks, new timetable, new DLC

• Like Like x 1
  14. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

The route looks really good. Let’s just hope they don’t screw up the 484.

15. junior hornet

To be fair, we are not being asked to shell out for a full priced route. It’s only £3 above what a loco normally costs, which is not a lot for the amount of work that has gone into it. All they actually needed to do was raise the platforms and add the passing loop at Brading but they’ve gone far beyond that by adding some really nice features. Maybe there could have been a deal for users of the old route but, hey, is it worth it? How much would you actually save? After all, £3 wouldn’t even buy me a coffee if I were mug enough to visit such overpriced establishments. :)

Also, if you are a game pass member, there’ll probably be a 10% discount after a day or two so hopefully we should be able to pick it up for £13.49. Or even less if you collect reward points.

• Like Like x 2
  16. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

I would make a better opinion on Tuesday during the live then. Thanks to you!

17. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Hope too, thanks for your answer :)

18. @l3x_Fr

@l3x_Fr Active Member

Okay, i like your reply. Tuesday we have a best overview of it. The price is not the problem here. It's the worth or not to pay for a rework. Thanks for your reply :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. stevenwalker1985

Well the post stated that they looking for my opinion. So i gave it.

20. junior hornet

Absolutely. We all have to make the decision as to whether it’s worth it to us.

21. stevenwalker1985

Its rivet, they will find a way. Lol

22. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

To be fair, the route and 484 look great. I don’t care that the livery is not real, I think it looks nice. It all depends how many bugs and glitches are noticeable on the streams as to whether I’ll buy it - though if I do, it’ll have to be discounted at a later date.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

Absolutely. We're all entitled (well nowadays anyway) to have and give out opinions, but preferably they should be rooted in reality

24. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with you. However I wouldn’t necessarily say it should be free for owners of IOW, but instead a discount. Cuz obviously the 484 is a whole new loco, and they basically had to rebuild the route from scratch. I’d say it should be like a 5-10 USD upgrade for IOW owners. Then the traditional 20 USD price for people who do not own the route. The one thing I really dislike though is that they aren’t really doing anything to the old route. After taking a run on it, the scenery is really poor compared to the newer version. If Island Line 2022 fixes everything IOW flaws in, why should I even own the old one? Why should people buy the old one? They’d rather get the higher quality product

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  25. ARuscoe

OK, so they split out the deal and charge the usual price for a loco (£11.99) and then charge a few quid for the route update to bring it into line with the new loco, say £4... Isn't that what they did anyway?

• Like Like x 2
  26. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

I do wish the livery was properly licensed DTG should be able to achieve that.
    Got the livery editor for non licensed ones and the community does a fantastic job.

The route from brief bits I've seen looks pretty good so far.

27. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This absolute minimum price this could be is the price of a loco DLC. That big shiny blue thing is a new train, you don’t get that for free. All other loco DLC is sold at a standard price and owners of the route it comes for don’t get it at a discount and they certainly don’t get it for free. Calls for this to be cheaper than a loco DLC or free for owners of Isle of Wight route are routed in some sort of fantasy land.

Considering this new loco comes with a much altered version of the route, necessary for the loco to be introduced at all, at only a couple of quid more than a standard loco DLC the price it is offered for is fantastically cheap. Rivet have played a blinder with this.

• Like Like x 6
  28. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

That's not possible because the real world Island Line upgrades are a recent thing. I do agree about the price though because having just returned from the IoW (we visit every year so we've seen this line in various states) and seen the improvements first hand this isn't a radical upgrade we're talking about, it's just a bunch of improvements to bring the existing line upto a better standard. Sure, Ryde station looks nicer and it's no longer possible to fall thru the broken bits (between the lines) into the sea at the end of the pier but aside from that it's essentially the same 7 ish miles of railway, so it is kind of difficult to see how a few extra walkaround bits, a bunch of new collectables and more scenery assets could justify such a high price.

The question I want to ask is: Now that steam is a thing in TSW2, why didn't Rivet make the most of this update by bringing it to the route?

29. ARuscoe

Did you not see the redone platforms, lowered tracks, added in loop at one of the stations, rebuilt station buildings, additional walkaround areas (and therefore additional assets) etc etc and all for what, three quid?

• Like Like x 3
  30. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Rivet in 2020 should have time travelled to 2022 and made the post-2021 infrastructure for the pre-overhaul route, then held on to the 483 to release as a loco DLC for it that passengers can't get on and off?

31. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Oooh, a full rebuild of the route with period accurate buildings, perhaps incorporating the Bembridge branch?

32. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why some people here have problems with the price, just don't buy it, you got the free update for the original IOW anyway. 13,99€ for the 484 (quite normal loco price) + 4,00€ for the adaptation of IOW to 2022 = 17,99€ in total, which I consider a very fair price.

EDIT: Those who pre-order it (Steam) even pay only 16,19€ so the adaptation to 2022 costs tiny 2,20€.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  33. ARuscoe

Rivet video showing the changes made to the "new" route from the "old" route. Maybe worth a bit more than £4?

• Like Like x 1
  34. junior hornet

What, three quid?

• Like Like x 4
  35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

On the basis I avoided the last one like the catastrophe it was I’ll be honest seeing how rivet are beginning to up their game I’m not too aggrieved by the cost of this. It’s length and train volume which may stop me like before

36. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

....and an identical seven miles of track that a lot of people have already paid 18 quid for.
    My issue isn't the price per se, it's the fact that Rivet are *once again* tarting up and reselling old content that they've never previously made any effort to fix or improve. I mean, how would you feel if their next release was WCL but with a tidy up, the inclusion of a HST and the option to walk around a few lo-res shops in Penzance....for another £15.99? Would it be "only three quid" if that happens?
    And never mind all this "you can't expect them to do all that 'hard work' updating old stuff for free" nonsense because DTG didn't have a problem spending all that time updating and enhancing pretty much everything from TSW 2020 at zero cost to those who already owned that content.
    You know, I wouldn't so much mind if the original IoW and (especially) Arosa were of a high standard or...but they weren't - so for that reason alone I absolutely cannot condone the fact that they want to charge people more money in order for them to get something approaching a better standard of acceptability. It's a terrible, terrible policy that I'm actually quite staggered people are ok with!

"only three quid"? No, in reality it's two trains and two versions of the same seven and a bit miles of railway for a combined 30-odd pounds. I could have bought a freedom ticket (holiday promo) and ridden the damned train for an entire week cheaper than that.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  37. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

To be fair to Rivet, the DLC package is not a bad deal. You either buy it or don’t. Discounted or full price. The choice is ultimately ours.

38. ARuscoe

Not quite, but if that's what you want to believe, you do you
    That would be the old version of the route. This is a new version so not reselling, they've done a lot of work on the route in general which yes they could have done with the original version of the route, but this is a different version, not a rehash of the old route
    As I've said somewhere else, what you're saying is that if DTG brought Liverpool to Crewe up to date they shouldn't charge because "the tracks are in the same place". That just about everything else has changed is moot for you?

Only if you HAVE to own both for either to work. If you haven't bought the old version you don't need it for the new version to work and vice versa

• Like Like x 2
  39. WVUadam

If they have also included
    Isle of Wight steam Railway like TS classic then that's well worth it.

40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They haven’t.

41. WVUadam

Missed opportunity on that part. Ah well

42. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Personal opinion I think the route looks really good. Completely rebuilt and enhanced. The detail on the 484 looks great.
    The lack of achievements is a bummer but its not a deal breaker for me
    . It's definitely a yes for purchasing from me.
    I'm not bothered whether your opinion differs from mine,or whether you agree at the end of the day I will be buying it for me and not you.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  43. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

I am just hopeful in 12 months time there is an equally updated WCL!

• Like Like x 1
  44. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Having watched the stream, I have to say I’m very impressed. There are some niggly issues like AI trains not showing the correct headlights, but nothing stood out as a deal breaker (other than maybe the lack of trophies). The 484 sounded amazing.

45. cspencer553.cs

cspencer553.cs Member

Its a yes from me to bring the 484 to the game + revamp the route im buying.yes theres a few issues but when aint there ,

46. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

More pleased I didnt buy the first one now.
    Actually didnt mind the look of it. Short route so we'll see if/when I pick it up.
    Credit where its due on Rivet developing new features, pushing walkable boundaries out further etc.

47. junior hornet

Bearing in mind that DTG have only just released their first steam route and that took many years of planning and development to get to that stage, I dread to think what a company new to the concept would make of it in such a short space of time (not Rivet bashing, just that I think it would take a huge amount of understanding of the concept and it would take quite some time to get an early version completed). I know Rivet have released steam content for TS Classic but I reckon this is a whole new ball game otherwise DTG would have released steam routes before now.

No doubt inclusion of the steam railway would also mean that it would be a full price route.

• Like Like x 1
  48. I can only really give my opinion once I've played it.

As for these videos that basically say look at what you can't play right now. I find them rather annoying!

I'd rather dtg or rivet just release the route without the teasers.

49. WVUadam

IOW route 2022 my experience
    Good points
    The class 484 well modelled
    Sound is okay
    Platforms Look nice.
    Able to go inside signal box
    Enjoyed able to explore more around Ryde Esplanade station.
    Bad points
    Some of the scenery looks dull in some areas like where the lake you could walk to use to be.
    The route introduction seems half done. Goes on to say what else there is to enjoy and then ends.

Overall
    For £13.49(£14.99 normal price) with Discount and when a loco is £11.99 without discount it's definitely worth the price. Though it should of been marketed as a route dlc not a loco that comes with a route bad marketing on that part.

But I think the route could of been priced abit higher so more time could of been spent on the route and added far greater detail and greater functionality.

50. junior hornet

Personally I prefer to see the videos prior to release, particularly given the state of some DLCs upon release. By showing them, we all have the choice of whether to watch them or not. If they released the routes without the teasers, we wouldn’t have that choice.