Gwe Class 166

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jack travers, Jul 9, 2022.

1. jack travers

jack travers Well-Known Member

Before you guys start saying “but jack that’s how a real 166 departs” yeah I Know and I don’t care. Is it just me or I just hate the new 166 departing and arriving physics Like for example it takes about 3 minutes to go from 0-90mph when On the brighton mainline when back like in 2021 I could be at 100 in about a minute and a half. Second of all it’s the braking that hurts too. I use to be able to come into West ealing at like 60mph then stop by the end, now if I come in at like 50 I won’t stop until We are at Ealing Broadway another example is on Brighton Mainline I was going from Victoria to Brighton in a 166 yes unrealistic don’t care, And I left East Croydon and didn’t get up to the max speed (90mph) Until we were just about Leave the Tunnel then go pass the Commuter tracks at Merstham then like a few minutes later we would have to start braking for Gatwick, and I didn’t even make it to Gatwick I just quit once I reached 90mph because Of how slow and boring it was. I also find it annoying and Hard to stick to Timetables with these slow departures. I normally leave stations at Notch 3 or Notch 2 but now I leave at Notch 6 or Notch 7 just to make up For lost time. Now I’m not sure If this is how it is in real life since the last time I’ve been on the Great western Railway was in 2017 but if it is that slow then Fairplay to Dovetail but all I’m saying is the 166 went from being my Favorite diesel train in the game due to It being a Modern Commuter But they somehow managed to Ruin that for me and now I rather use the Ironing board Electrostars or the Medieval Age 465s But yeah I think this is the end of the Rant please give use the old 166 I really don’t care if it was unrealistic I want it back. The end. Also add the Voyagers so I can enjoy modern First class Express trains… :|

2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

TSW is a simulator so I don't see the point changing the physics

• Like Like x 3
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Many people wanted the 166 to have more realistic handling. Based on what I've read in forums, nobody likes to drive the 166 cuz of how slow it is irl. People want realistic physics and handling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The timetable needs an update on gwe because the new physics means that players arrive late to stations. The timetable doesn't really match with the improved physics.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jack travers

Exactly what I mean I’m always late because of the slow departures. Either they make the train faster or change the Timetabled

• Like Like x 2
  6. SubwayRailfanner

SubwayRailfanner Well-Known Member

Honestly you just got to get used to it. It's not hard to drive it.

7. jack travers

When I have to stick to a timetable it is and either I leave the Station on Notch 7 then arrive into the station at brake 3 or leave at Notch 3 then arrive at brake 2 and be a minute late

8. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

The method in driving them is to leave in notch 5 and at 10mph move to notch 7. I have been a couple of minutes early on a full run stopper driving like this. The physics please me as realism in a simulator is a good thing.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

A few years ago before they updated it, the Class 166 used to accelerate super quick like they were electrical multiple units as you describe. It was quite silly tbh. You may not like it but it is much more realistic now. You say this used to be your favourite diesel train but if you can’t accept the slower acceleration of diesels compared to electrics, perhaps diesel trains aren’t for you. Voyagers are also slow when compared to electric express trains.

With regards to how to drive, officially you bring the brake back to step 1. Then use the hill start button and move PBC to notch 3 or 4. When you hear engine revving, release the hill start button. Then as you start moving, feel free to go to full power. There is no harm in going straight to notch 7 tbh either. Braking should be done in mostly step 1 with a bit of step 2. If you wanted to be a more aggressive, you could do a lot of the braking in step 2. Conversely, you could do all of your braking in step 1 as well. There’s no reason step 3 should be used unless you absolutely have to. It obviously depends on the length of the platform and where you’re stopping, but I’d aim to hit platforms between 20-30mph, absolutely not 50 or 60 lol. In the up direction heading towards London, due to the position of the staircase/barriers being on the country end of the platform, the stop boards are only a train length into the station such as Langley so 15-20mph at the platform ramp is sensible.

I’ve not played the 166 in ages so I might give it a go and see how I find it. I can’t say I remember not being able to keep to time though

• Like Like x 5
  10. jack travers

Yeah I get that diesel trains accelerate way slower but from what the 166 used to be to what it is now I will say I’m disappointed and I have been on a voyager yes it does depart slow but Instead I said that because We need a modern express train since the hst is outdated and the 395 looks like an express train with commuter doors

11. SubwayRailfanner

I mean this game is supposed to be realistic but we do have preference so i get it.

Would love to see the the Class 800 already and we already have the 387. They just have to put the proper livery on it and change the interior. Yes I know they need to make a whole new route for it. But what is up with the lack of GWR Routes in this game seriously. The Train that I anticipate the most is the 800 or thameslink 700. One thing I praise Rivet for is they actually took a old route and turned it into modern day. DTG has never done that I believe. Sorry for changing topic guys. Just a bit annoyed with the route choices and lack of GWR content this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I think the main problem with the GWR mainline is it's a of of boring blank countryside with not much to do. Once you get out past Didcot there's literally nothing to do until Swindon - 24 miles, and then you have three options, up to Gloucester - 3 stations over 37 miles, over to Bristol - nothing for 35 miles to Parkway, or down to Chippenham - nothing for 17 miles before another not much for 13 miles to Bath

TLDR - the bit of England between Swindon and the West country is a bit boring, really

Then you have the bit between Taunton and Exeter. That's almost 40 miles of 100+ mph railway with one junction and one station (Tiverton Parkway)

• Like Like x 3
  13. SubwayRailfanner

Well if it's about scenery. Then Dawlish route is a good one. I get what you mean but wouldn't hurt to get a least one GWR route after getting thousands of DB routes.

14. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

What about seeing routes from other operators (who run over more scenic lines) as well. At least gwr is represented in the game.

15. SubwayRailfanner

Not against it but then again 1 route is not going to stop that from happening. How many route releases do we get a year?

16. ARuscoe

Usually about ten covering all countries but mainly focussed on UK, US, DE

17. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well you have Box Tunnel and the cityscape at Bath but railway operations wise a bit of a desert. Not much freight and just the regular interval HST or nowadays Hitachi Knotweed services. Bristol to Taunton is mostly flat countryside too. Bristol area local might offer a bit of interest but would need several train types we don't yet have in the game.

Operationally if DTG wanted to expand GWE I still think the best bet would be pushing on to Oxford and maybe even down to Basingstoke so you could get the Cross Country services in and the huge intermodal freight flow from the Midlands/North to/from Southampton. Oh and add in the Thames Valley branches (excluding Heathrow). But we know there's not a cat in hell's chance of DTG ever doing that. My smart money would be on the Riviera Line from Exeter to Paignton if we did get something else Western Region related.

18. ARuscoe

Absolutely zero variety on branches a few miles long

19. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well we've discussed this before. It gives it more of a network feel. Maidenhead to Marlow is scenically quite nice and you have the donkey working in the peaks. The Colnbrook and Brentford branches would add a bit of freight variety and give Southall Yard some purpose. In terms of roleplay it means you can work a round trip to Henley from Twyford, jump on a train to Maidenhead and do likewise for Marlow, rinse and repeat for Windsor etc. (Assuming the save game holds up).

Let's face it most UK railways in the south are pretty bland even more so with the avenue of trees effect, so really perhaps you could explain exactly what you expect a train sim to offer?

• Like Like x 1
  20. ARuscoe

If they included it in the main DLC, I might agree with you. Adding in 15 miles of there and back branch lines with literally nothing else other than "hey, that train's turning right" isn't quite what I would call "exciting".
    What do I expect from a train simulator?
    Put in the other branches from Reading, have some diesels going South or freight or ANYTHING
    Go up to Manchester, make some old freight running through the city
    Get a proper old style marshalling yard, maybe STJ and have it that trains come in, drop off wagons and you have to sort them with a little underpowered tank engine.
    Basically anything other than "make it go, make it stop, open the bloody doors... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

• Like Like x 2
  21. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I have GPS and speed recordings from real life 166s on level track that I sent over to DTG when they were improving the physics and I can say with certainty that they got it absolutely right this time. Even the braking is more accurate too. We are paying for a simulator, and we expect realistic train performance that is like the real life example. The class 166 is an absolute joy to drive, I have no idea why you don’t like the latest update - it performs exactly as they do in real life. Most 2nd DMUs do take around 5 minutes to get to 90.

if you want trains that accelerate like rockets - buy Trainz or something. The community wants realism and the 166 delivers that on practically every level - I for one commend DTG’s amazing improvements on it. It will NOT be changed to make it unrealistic again.

For the record, I am not finding any timetable issues on the GWE.

• Like Like x 4
  22. ghawk2005

Well said - I know drivers that whack them straight into notch 7 on departures too.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

But the in-game model doesn't have a hill start button, does it?
    -----------------------
    I have found as a useful rule of thumb with just about all passenger trains, except the really heavy ones,* that 25 mph/40 km/h at 200 yards/meters out from the stop point works well.

*Not counting old UK vacuum-braked consists: for those you need to be closer to 15.

24. ghawk2005

Yes it does. Even that has been simulated. ‘Brake Hold’ is what it is called.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  25. solicitr

Oh, excellent! Where is it?

26. ghawk2005

I think you press the key you’d normally use to apply the train brake ( two keys to the right of the L key on the keyboard ), and hold that down while using the power / brake command to release brakes, apply power and then release the train brake apply key.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. ghawk2005

You’re disappointed the physics are identical to real life performance now ? ? ? wow, the mind boggles.

• Like Like x 1
  28. solicitr

Man, what a difference thirty years makes! There's no way in any of the first-gen BR diesels you could get away with slamming the throttle on start; you had to baby them

• Like Like x 1
  29. ARuscoe

I imagine the gearbox type is very different. I think with the gearbox that all the sprinter classes had the engine revs being high from a standing start is very much characteristic. Certainly whenever I have been on one (way back in the 90s up to now) they always rev high then rev down when they get up to 10/15mph

30. ghawk2005

that revving up is the torque converter filling with fluid, so whatever notch they use ( above notch 2 I believe _ there always be that surge in revs before moving off. This is why rivet have failed so badly to recreate this on the 150. Among many other errros. It just moves away, without any revs beforehand.

31. ARuscoe

Absolutely. No idea why they did what they did but it drives as if they didn't know it had a different system - hence not wanting them to do the 158 until they get this bit in their heads, the 150 is great but I prefer a 158

32. ghawk2005

Agreed - they have to sort their stuff out.

I love both to be fair. Both are magnificent units

33. ARuscoe

And both 30 years old... how did THAT happen???

34. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

I have an idea!
    Make the top speed limit of all the trains mach 7.5 and have them accelerate instantly!!!

That way I can enjoy the speed and power of really, really unrealistic physics!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  35. ghawk2005

Seems the way this game is going to be if we are not careful.

Realistic sounds and physics are one of the most important aspect of any simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  36. solicitr

That's part of it; but I think part of it is a diesel engine which can rev up quickly, very unlike the marine-based old Sulzers which took until tomorrow to get up to speed.

37. ARuscoe

Well yeah, I would hope that 80s tech worked a bit better than 50s tech (at least I think the Sulzers were 50s...)

38. solicitr

Contrast the F7, which used essentially the same 1930s engine as the FT. The difference was that the 567 was designed to operate over an rpm range fairly quickly, whereas marine engines are designed to sit at the same speed for hours.

39. ARuscoe

Wasn't that what basically killed the class 50? They were supposed to sit at high speed for mile after mile but then got put onto short hop regionals and it killed the engines?

• Like Like x 1
  40. ghawk2005

Yes I think you could be right - I have heard similar. Too much start / stop stuff. A great shame. I’d love a good old class 50 in TSW2

41. ARuscoe

Yup, me too so long as it WAS on the expresses (or tours)

42. SteveRail

SteveRail Well-Known Member

The first time I used the 166 after the update, I did think it was slow, but as others have said it’s far most realistic which had to be the key.

After a few runs you get the hang of it and I’ve not been more than a minute or so late at any station, mostly on time or seconds out, so it is definitely possible to maintain the current timetable and I have to say I find it much more enjoyable now.

• Like Like x 1
  43. jack travers

Wow I’m disappointed because I got used to something and now I’m trying to adapt?? the mind boggles

44. ghawk2005

To quote your words - ‘ I don’t care if it’s unrealistic, I want it back ‘ Adapt to it yes, It won’t be changed back as this is how they behave. You cannot be disappointed when something becomes more realistic.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  45. jackdillon37390

jackdillon37390 Member

The 2-3 coach stop marker at Langley on the slow line towards Paddington is in the wrong place. It needs to be moved forward as some of the back coach ends up hanging off the back of the platform when you stop on the mark on a 3 coach 166

46. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

I much prefer the old 166 startup functionality. Although the P.I.S is a nice touch.