Seeing How Realism Isn't Really A Thing (female Firemen) Why Not An Option To Turn Off Red Signals?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by The_Drunken_Engineer, Jul 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

Took another spin on SOS, all great until I missed a braking point and just crawled past the red signal about five feet ahead of the stopping point, after braking hard, and rolling past it a few feet.

Seeing how realism isn't really a thing (female fireman, minorities almost a majority in 1950's Britain) why not include an option so we don't have to get irritated with a red signal 5 feet ahead of a stopping point? If you're going to take months to fix simple things like coal not being on a shovel why not try and not put irritating things, like a red signal five feet ahead of a stopping point at a station for a train with garbage brakes or at least an option so you don't waste an hour because you got distracted for ten seconds at the wrong time? Especially on a DLC like this. A great route basically ruined by poor choices and I'm sure lack of attention when the next thing comes up.

• Like Like x 3
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

But if the singal was to be moved it would be in the wrong place though and people would moan. Concentration is key mate.

• Like Like x 3
  3. The_Drunken_Engineer

I never suggested that. Just that one could turn it off. You get no more points for playing with safety systems on than off. Options: Red lights: On, Off, 50m, 100m. I'm not sure if a real life conductor has his run pulled if he/she/insert other options goes 5 feet past a red but it's harsh here.

This wouldn't be a problem if the save feature actually worked. Perhaps it's better here on a route without much traffic tbf

• Like Like x 5
  4. Kazick

Kazick Member

I agree that the game play mechanic of "You passed a red game over restart" is garbage. But it also sounds like a skill issue. Like, get better at driving a train and anticipate that the breaks will take longer to stop your train.

• Like Like x 6
  5. The_Drunken_Engineer

Yes, I get that. Wish I could go back in time but that's not my point. I posted this under 'suggestions'.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kazick

Kazick Member

Again, I agree with your suggestion that having the game end because you ran a red is bad. There are legit times that you do have to run a red IRL.

I am also suggesting to you to learn better train handling.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Sorry, you're asking for it to be MORE realistic. IRL your drive doesn't end if you pass a red light by five feet (though it may end your career after a meeting, review and so on)
    But in reality, your fault you're passing red lights, nobody else's

• Like Like x 5
  8. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaha, it is realistic for the British routes, there are even footage of them doing it.
    NOTE: I am not laughing because of what you said, it reminds me of something a younger me would say.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

TSC has an option to stop SPAD's ending a run and you certainly need it running the Metropolitan Line! Perhaps something that could be incorporated in TSW3?

10. ARuscoe

Hopefully not. Leads to better driving (yes I know it's a game and all but still)

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Take a drive on the Met in TSC before reaching that conclusion. I have always driven with the SPAD penalty on but I was tearing my hair out with the number of SPADs at the speed controlled signals, even when I was following the Vmax guidelines. What with that and the OOM CTD when you try and restore to the last point you saved, it has quickly become an exercise in frustration even though the route itself snd the S stock is nicely done.

A SPAD override would also get you out of those situations in TSW where you get a spurious red signal, but the line ahead is unoccupied and the next signal shows proceed. Or the infamous Chopper And Change scenario on TVL where you can’t complete a Journey scenario because the ground signal won’t clear into the unoccupied spur ahead.

12. ARuscoe

Have done but not for a while. My TSC has sat at 2500 hours played for a couple of years now

Bugs shouldn't necessitate a change in a core activity

13. Disabling spad ending session should be an option. If it can't be an option then atleast move the spad trigger 20 yards beyond the signal.

I know irl spadding does f up the network completely but tsw isn't rl.

Older routes with semaphores it should be disabled. In the good ole days drivers often stopped with the front of the train past the signal.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I see. My kid does this trick where you can save the game just before the spad then start from save and continue with out being spadded! The train still follows its path until it meets the train ahead. I guess this somewhat makes dtg quite cross! As I've noticed they have made small changes here and there to stop spectacular train crashes.

Maybe it would be easier to move the spad trigger a bit further down? Trains don't always stop how you expect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. They are to close in some cases. I've had scenarios where I had to stop short of the marker to avoid passing the signal.

I watched a vid a while back where a train driver said as a rule they generally leave a space of one car length between the train and the signal.

Some times I've been crawling towards a red at 5mph applied the brakes and nothing happened, especially when you get micro freezes, it's like keyboard input is dead during the freeze.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kazick

Kazick Member

Then it sounds like the core game needs fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's a gameplay choice because dtg basically botched the system. No other way to put it. Sounds like they need to update the core to resolve this problem

• Like Like x 1
  18. tallboy7648

It's clear why it's the case though. They botched the system. Instead of trying to resolve it, they chose not too hence why we are left with with compromise solution basically even if it wasn't intended. It can be sorted but it's up to them to resolve it which they don't seem to have the appetite to do at the moment

19. ARuscoe

Which system?

20. tallboy7648

The dispatcher

21. ARuscoe

Ah OK... I think it's deeper than that. The signalling and response systems are also dodgy

• Like Like x 2
  22. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The simpler solution than rewriting the whole dispatcher code to permit SPADs, is simply don't put the stop marker bang on top of the signal. It should be 40-50 yards back, more for freight runs.

• Like Like x 4
  23. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

Disagree on that Note as some Routes still never have been fixed as to having a Yellow signal but still Failing is on the Company Tis-Tis / FAN BOY

24. NSMotherSlug#881

NSMotherSlug#881 Active Member

AGREE

25. ARuscoe

Are you saying that some signals are at yellow, but are acting as though at red (and this discludes the issue on SoS where an AI passing a red fails everyone

No... people running red lights the first time may be on "the company". Repeatedly doing so is on them
    The definition of madness is doing the same thing time and again and expecting a different outcome

26. Vograx

Vograx Active Member

I think passing a red shouldn't just be an instant "Game Over, return to main menu" kinda thing. If you violate a red marker then I would suggest your lose a large X amount of points for the journey or perhaps even get all the accumulated points scrapped (ie no medals for you), but you should be able to still continue and just finish the route. Sometimes I just want to chill and drive the train and kinda meh about it automatically ending the trip from passing a red. Especially if it's just a few yards.

Obviously if you continue at full speed past reds then eventually (inevitably?) you'll crash into something and derail... which definitely ends your journey regardless.

Anyways, I also find it fascinating how suggestion thread can have undertones of both racism, misogyny and a criticism towards the gameplay all rolled up into one package. That's the internet for you.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Dath Vater 208

Dath Vater 208 Active Member

But some can help you to not SPAD. Like PZB or TPWS (I think it works on recent routes like Isle of Wight 2022 or new SEHS)

28. ARuscoe

TPWS will NOT stop you SPADding, but will lessen the impact of you doing so
    If you steam through a TPWS grid you're not going to stop for a long while. If you go through a few miles over the slowness required you will likely still SPAD, but may not foul the upcoming junction or shared space (TPWS is only installed where it will make these differences rather than everywhere)
    It will also stop you hitting buffers quite as hard

29. Dath Vater 208

Dath Vater 208 Active Member

I wrote "help not SPAD." not "prevent SPADing"

30. ARuscoe

That is a clarification, but it will only stop you going through the red if you're already going slow enough to have stopped anyway (ie you're just not paying quite enough attention)