Waggonz Class 87

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 390001, Jul 9, 2022.

1. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Just saw that Waggonz have shown off the Class 87. No doubt another splended piece of DLC from Waggonz. I dont think there is a single waggonz DLC that i have disliked.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, they've been releasing this "any time now" for the past two years. It's interesting that the Facebook post you got this from was actually made by Armstrong Powerhouse though... not Waggonz, so it looks like... FINALLY.... we are getting a decent class 87. If it's made by Waggonz, and will be an AP product, we know it will be brilliant. I've been waiting for this for 2 years.

[removed flamebait - Protagonist]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2022
  3. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

[quote removed by Protagonist]

Lets try and keep this topic on par please without dragging history into this,

Yes this is the Waggonz 87 and AP showing it on there page. Fills the WCML nicely i do hope we get a more "up to date" DVT for it as we have the newer MK3s

4. Pookeyhead

The AP Mk3DVT that comes with the class 90 is pretty good already.

5. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Indeed but a nice refresh to match the coaches and the new 87 will not be denied :)

6. SJA

SJA Active Member

I'm not near my PC at the moment, but are there 2-3 DVTs floating around?

I'm guessing the one that comes from the AP Class 90 inherits the 90's physics, because the DVT I used the other week was bordering on missile levels of acceleration. Presumably it was not the AP one.

7. SJA

SJA Active Member

[quote removed by Protagonist]

AP should be doing a sale at some point soon, shouldn't they, for the benefit of people who have issues with pricing? Like the August bank holiday, maybe? Obviously brand new products are unlikely to be included, but I've had a few good items in sales (as well as a great many at full price, to be fair - I'm not ashamed to support those who make our hobby better).

So sales don't mean a lot to me these days :D I have 90% of what they've ever sold, and what I don't have, I'm generally not bothered about per se (mainly a handful of wagon packs plus the Class 325).

Besides, I've often felt that AP's soundpacks and engaging scenario packs were what initially pulled me towards TS back in the day. They've only gone from strength to strength since then, both in terms of Richard's work and those he collaborates with.

8. Pookeyhead

The 87 and 90 both have 5000bhp so I don't think there'd be a lot of difference. The AP Mk3DVT that comes with the AP class 90 doesn't seem particularly missile like :) The advantage of the 90 was thyristor control and simpler (more reliable), not more power. In fact the 87/1, which was rated at 110mph and a test bed for the class 90, was actually less powerful than the main 87/0 fleet.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You do realise the DVT is a Coach without any power? - Driving Van Trailer.
    The "missile levels of acceleration" is down to what ever was pushing it at the time.
    And the train will accelerate the train faster from the DVT than an Class 86 or 87 as you don't have to notch up.

AFAIK there are two almost identical Mk3 DVT's - the one in the AP Class 90 pack and the Steam released GEML 90.

The third DVT is the Mk4 that comes with the Class 91

10. SJA

SJA Active Member

Haha. Yes I do realise Peter - that's why I mentioned "inherited physics". I am acutely aware that a DVT is a remote driving vehicle :)

I can't remember which version of the DVT I was using, but the physics felt way off compared to the loco powering it. It might have been on one of the scenarios for Chiltern Mainline, and a 68 doesn't rocket 6 coaches + a DVT forward that quickly at mid-power.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SJA

SJA Active Member

You know your AC electrics :) I've only just recently got into them - I'm much more familiar with diesel locos (all gens), DMUs and EMUs (second gen and modern), HSTs, and the 80x. My local lines are the Chiltern Mainline and the GWR.

I don't mind a tricky drive with the taps though. The 90 is a lovely drive, despite being produced for TS 8-9 years ago, and not having taps. But their 86 deserved all the plaudits that it got. Spent way too many hours using that on the WCML South and Missing Link.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Is this the first Waggonz item in two years, as well? Is there anything else they have released through AP recently? Trying to remember which was the most recent.

13. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

HMMMM i may be wrong but didnt waggonz do a wagon pack as well ?

14. Pookeyhead

Who else is constantly checking the AP website? :)
    I can't recall the last time I was so looking forward to a new TS release. I think the only thing that would get me more excited than this would be a ground up rebuild of the class 47.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SJA

SJA Active Member

That kid before Christmas feeling... during adulthood... in a heatwave.

I'll take it, to be fair :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Not me when it releases will be released and will be available for a while it won’t disappear a day after release or run out of stock lol

17. Pookeyhead

Well, that's not the reason I am checking, obviously.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am checking his Facebook page daily. Also, Caledonian works as well as there is always something going on there.