Capitol Corridor: San Jose - Sacramento

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LativaBoy, Jul 11, 2022.

1. LativaBoy

LativaBoy Active Member

The Capitol Corridor is a 168-mile (270 km) passenger train route in Northern California operated by Amtrak between San Jose, in the Bay Area, and Auburn, in the Sacramento Valley. The route is named after the two points most trains operate between, San Jose (which hosted the first state capitol of California) and Sacramento (which currently hosts the California State Capitol). The route runs roughly parallel to Interstate 880 and Interstate 80. Some trips run from Oakland to San Jose, while a single daily round trip runs all the way from San Jose to Auburn, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Capitol Corridor trains started in 1991.
    [​IMG]
    Map of the Route

Why the Capitol Corridor?:

The Capitol Corridor is the fourth busiest Amtrak line behind the Pacific Surfliner, Northeast Regional, and Acela Express. The Capitol Corridor is also the second busiest passenger rail line in California; the line had amassed 1,607,277 riders in 2017. A route like this would be perfect for Train Sim World. Along the route are also plenty of industries served by Union Pacific; it's an intriguing challenge to handle a route with not only busy passenger traffic but also freight traffic, both local and long-distance.

I figured it would be best to have the route be between San Jose and Sacramento as the line extending to Auburn doesn't see too much passenger traffic; plus, it also saves time. Another reason I feel the Capitol Corridor would be a good addition to Train Sim World is that there can also be the inclusion of preexisting Caltrain consists that can work as AI trains along the tracks from San Jose Diridon to Santa Clara. The same could be applied to the Peninsula Corridor with AI Amtrak trains running along the same segment.

Rolling Stock:
    The main rolling stock for the Capitol Corridor consists of California Cars built by Morrison–Knudsen and the American Passenger Rail Car Company, EMD F59PHIs, and the newer Siemens Charger locomotives. Occasionally, P42DCs have been seen pulling/pushing Capitol Corridor trains. Regarding freight traffic, GP38-2s can do locals, whereas ET44ACs and/or SD70Ms are in charge of long-distance trains.
    [​IMG]
    Calfornia Cars
    [​IMG]
    Siemens (SC-44) Charger
    [​IMG]
    EMD F59PHI
    [​IMG]
    GE P42DC
    [​IMG]
    GE ET44AC
    [​IMG]
    EMD SD70M
    [​IMG]
    EMD GP38-2

Conclusion:
    The Capitol Corridor would be a great fit for Train Sim World, continuing the theme with Rush Hour. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks of this idea!

• Like Like x 9
  2. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

ACE content would also be a great additional DLC for this route since their routes overlap until Fremont.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The entire length is highly unlikely for TSW2 due to the routes entire length and scenery density. At most there is at least 2 likely sections that could be used.

At most I could see San Jose to Oakland, or Oakland to Martinez.

San Jose to Oakland cause DTG can start off with assets already used for Peninsula Corridor.

Oakland to at least Martinez due to mainline UP freight, and the addition of the San Joaquin, so there is the additional passenger services to run.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trombonemike#6967

trombonemike#6967 New Member

I agree, we probably won't see the route in its entirety, but I do like the idea of San Jose to Oakland. With Caltrain already running in/out of San Jose, the Capitol Corridor could be added as an upgrade to the Peninsula Corridor considering the fact that it hasn't been updated in a while (and they both share the Santa Clara stop). It would also add more variety of trains to the route and more timetable services. Even if this is a separate route, I would love to see this in tsw 2.

5. LativaBoy

LativaBoy Active Member

Fair enough, those alternatives sound like sensible routes

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  6. trainmasteraiden

trainmasteraiden Active Member

It could be ACE F40PH

7. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

We've seen the GP38-2s on several routes already, and I think it's time to see a different locomotive for switching/local freights. I'd suggest a UP GP40-2, GP60, 3GS-21B Genset, or GP22T4 (rebuilt GP38-2). The ET44AC (C45AH on UP) is a loco I really want to see in TSW2. In addition to the SD70M, I really want to see a UP SD70ACe-T4, SD59MX (rebuilt SD60), or C45ACCTE (ES44AC). The Siemens Charger is a must for this route while the F40PH, P42DC, and F59PH could be added as future DLCs. Another loco DLC that could be added is the pair of former Amtrak P32-8BWHs used on the San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor trains.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Would be all in to see this. Not sure what section I would like to see, but I would probably say San Jose-Oakland or Oakland-Sacramento. San Jose-Oakland would definitely focus a lot more on gameplay, while Oakland-Sacramento focuses more on scenery. Would be amazing to cross over this massive bridge that is seen in Martinez (Edit. There are actually some services that don't go to San Jose. Quite a few services originate at Oakland Jack London)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022