Indian Railways

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Abhishek Adhikari, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Abhishek Adhikari

Abhishek Adhikari New Member

If you really want a challenge as a developer then try to make Indian Railways. I'm an Indian and the Indian Railways is my pride.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Medellinexpat

Medellinexpat Well-Known Member

Abhishek Adhikari Indian routes have been mentioned in the past and it’s likely there would be a good amount of interest n it just from India but overseas. Personally I’d look at buying Indian DLC.

However you’ve something of an uphill battle, so I’d encourage you to do more work on your proposal if you want any hope of success. You should consider

- you need a route. Look at the size of routes (length, number of stations, number of rolling stock) on existing DLC. Make this your template for the sort of route you’ll suggest. Don’t propose 400 mile networks as they are far less likely to happen. Try and look for routes that have both freight and passenger and probably avoid ‘single use’ routes, that is say ones that only take one raw material from point A to point B. Make them have a lot of varied ‘playability’.
    - avoid routes that need big terminals or large urban centers. One issue that you face is that most of the developed assets (trees, houses, people etc. etc.) are based around the existing North European and US routes. So, the foilage and fauna needed for your route would need developing from scratch. So make sure that your proposal isn’t going to make this any larger than it needs to be.
    - these routes are built by commercial companies and developers at those companies don’t choose to do something because it’s a challenge. They do it because it’s commercially viable. So in your proposal talk about the Indian gaming community, both PC and console. Not all the sales will come from India of course but one of the likely reasons for anyone doing this would be to tap a new market. Talk about online railway forums and membership. How big might the interest in this be (any existing model railroading community is always a good start).
    - think about where the resources are for anyone to build the route. No route was ever built from Wikipedia cut and paste or a few photos. Are there good sources of videos of the routes taken from cabs? Good online mapping and terrain resources? Are there any local games developers who might want to help on the project? Perhaps DTG already work with some.

I understand that sounds like a lot of work but there are many proposals on here, all with their merits. To get yours to stand out and to have any chance you not only have to convince other forum members that it is a good idea but also get DTG interested enough to even start considering it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

4. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

the best suggestion is - please develop youself
    dtg donot bother about countries other than UK USA and German as you know it well.

5. Medellinexpat

But GT46PAC doesnt that make the situation I suggested, the availability of assets, even more of a block? On TS people have developed routes because a lot of suitable assets already exist. So a house, a bridge, a signal, clutter on the station can be reused. Anything is possible, but someone building everything from scratch - is that practical?

6. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

I agree that no assets are available for India.
    Since I knew all about this situation, I tried to start building things from scratch.
    The following things I had built from scratch -
    a. A few Locomotive and Passenger wagons.
    b. Complete Indian Railways Signalling system.
    c. OHLE
    d. Track System
    Rest I will try someday.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Someone's modelled a stretch of the Darjeeling Railway so it can be done. Blender is free.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Medellinexpat

9. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Sir, it is for train simulator.

10. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Ah- no. It's in TS. There aren't any development tools for TSW at the moment are there?

(Sorry- when you're looking through the recent posts list there's no indication which program a post is about.)

11. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

Great piece of work. NICE !!!

12. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

OP came to bash on Devs only? :mad::mad:

13. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that is OP's intention. It sounds like they're just setting it up as a challenging thing to do.

14. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

Getting license from Indian Railways is tough, as it is a governmental organisation, not a private like UK or USA.
    RailFanning is also very restrictive here, if RailPolice Force spots you doing RailFanning ( TrainSpotting ), you will land directly in Jail.

:o

15. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

I don't think Indian Railways would bother such a small thing. If DTG pursue IR in proper manner . It will also bring good name to Indian Railways in global platform which will also encourage tourism if places of tourist interest are also covered like , Himalayan , Bhor Ghats, Palace on wheels, Taj ,New Delhi, Goa etc. Lots of Indians had already shown their talent in this regard in making assets. If DTG pursue them in proper way it may be accomplished.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Abhishek Adhikari

Abhishek Adhikari New Member

No this is not the case here.... Railfanning is not a crime. And being an Indian I know the mentality of our govt. they will surely give the permissions to make Indian Railways content for a game.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GT46PAC

GT46PAC Active Member

18. jamesbaby286

19. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

No, DTG are a machine. American route, British route, German route, American loco, British loco, German loco. Rinse and repeat.

20. jamesbaby286

Please ask yourself "Are my comments necessary?" and "Are they valuable to the current discussion?".
    This isn't a thread about DTG's current cycle. It's about suggesting Indian routes as a a possible addition. It's not even a thread that has to exclusively be for DTG to take note of. 3rd parties could take note, or a individual with the skills to do something about it. You may be jaded but you have no authority to speak in absolutes, nor the requirement to publicise your emotions everywhere.

That is all I am going to say off topic from the discussion of Indian Railways.
    Anyways here's a picture of a cool Indian luxury cruise train, the "Maharajah's Express ":
    [​IMG]

And the typical day to day transport to keep things balanced:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  21. TrainSim_Fan

TrainSim_Fan Well-Known Member

That was me essentially telling you that Indian routes aren't coming unless they come from a 3rd party developer. Hence why DTG isn't the best person to ask, I would ask Rivet Games on their twitter page. As another note I personally have zero interest in Indian routes, I like British and American routes.

22. coreon

coreon New Member

Thanks For All these Info . I dont think there are small branchlines in Indian Railways like 40-45 kms which can operate both freight and passenger sevice . minimum distance is 140-170 kms between two major stations . so its kinda hard to do it . Also There aren't available cab footage (but it can be made available by asking a loco pilot to record). and about variety of locomotives , Indian Railways use different locomotive on each and every train , means each passenger or express has its own regular link locomotive so it can be quite difficult task. But majority of trains runs with WAP7 loco so it cant be more considered hard if u just change loco number and resting shed name. About terrain resources , i think usual data is available like rest of the world but maps will be kinda shabby due to commercial map resolution policy of india. many of the foilage can be used from american and german routes (if u remove winter) . because india gets dry in summer and green in monsoon.( maybe it will be different idk) , also there are speciality for each passenger train like Coach position and composition also express and shuttle trains and local ones . about freight , They are all random . there are no regular freight services , they just form and travel from one place to another, they carry grains,cement,coal,fuel(petrol),and containers. So these were some of my thoughts on your comment :D

• Like Like x 1
  23. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For the longer trains, these need a WAG-12 Alstom Prima otherwise some services will require a double WAG-9 locomotive due to the insufficient horsepower per ton and tractive force to get them running.
    WAG-9
    [​IMG]
    WAG-12
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. narjiskhatoon

narjiskhatoon New Member

That's Nice Looks Real Keep Working On It Sir

25. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Totally support that, in every DTG survey I've been selected for I mentioned to do routes in India at some point in the future

26. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

DTG can hardly populate the trains internally, so there'd hardly be anyone hanging off the sides.

27. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Nice case of multi necrobumping of a thread from 2018…

• Like Like x 2
  28. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

This effects the course of your life negatively how, exactly? Had they started a new thread, it'd be significantly different how?

• Like Like x 2
  29. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking but it won’t affect my life :) I just stated that it was a necrobumping and seeing the first post which is empty in terms of information it’ll be relevant to create a new one that will catch DTG’s attention :D Don’t you think ?

• Like Like x 1
  30. jamesbaby286

That's actually not common at all from my experience (except for some that hang from the doors when approaching stations to be able to get off sooner). Most of the crowd is in the stations themselves. But the numbers of passengers in the stations we have see since the Rush Hour update, with some 'diorama' passenger groups would make them feel appropriately crowded for the setting.

31. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Some of the narrow gauge lines would be within the length constraints of TSW, Matheran Hill for one. Then you have the former 2’ 6” network centred around Nainpur Junction. Think there was a branch off that to Manla Fort or similar name. The biggest problem building any Indian route would pose, is starting from the bottom up as regards assets, whether terrain texture, buildings, even the people. And DTG’s inclusivity department would have a field day catering for different religious groups, interpreting the caste system, whether we can have the occasional Great White Hunter tourist like a fish out of water (or more likely throwing up an indigestible curry) etc. etc.

And as I’ve seen on cab ride clips from India, people casually wandering everywhere on the track, not to mention squatting by the side of the line to use it as a toilet.