Sehs Has Suddenly Grown On Me.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Jul 12, 2022.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

I’ve had the SEHS dlc for quite a while now, I bought it in a sale after hearing very good reports about it on this forum. when I first got it I played it a lot for a while and enjoyed it but I sort of went off it and went back to my beloved TV, NTP, WSR, and latterly WCL ( Can you spot the pattern ) Anyway Iv’e started playing SEHS again and I love it! I’m now totally up to speed generally with how TSW2 works and it’s that which has made the difference. I used to struggle with the Javalin a lot, and whilst I could drive it ok to a fashion I never felt I really knew what I was doing with it until now. Now it’s all clicked into place and it’s great fun. Moral of the story, if anyone is reading this who is struggling with TSW2 and how different types of trains work as a newbie? take the time to really learn how this game / sim actually works before spending your money on loads of dlc’s. Start with one or maybe two dlc’s you really fancy, play them to death, and really learn the game, then move onto something else when your feeling more comfortable. I made the fatal mistake of getting loads of dlc’s when I first bought TSW2 and tbh it was all was a bit overwhelming. This game doesn’t hold your hand and there isn’t much in the way of really detailed tutorials if your new to all the peculiar ways of TSW2 and new to trains in general like I was. Of course there are lots of people to help you in this forum but at the end of the day it’s all trial and error with a few choices swear words along the way. Anyway I’m loving SEHS now and the Networker add on is indeed a brilliant train.

One gripe I do have is it’s far too easy to hit notch 11 on the Javelins brakes which activates an emergency stop and sometimes it refuses to get going again. This usually happens to me in a tunnel in the HS1 section where it’s pitch black and of course if you have no cab light on means lots of faffing about and time lost. Not good if you end up maybe abandoning the run after 45 mins or whatever it takes to get there going towards Paddington. Still that’s the challenge isn’t it, i.e. concentrate at all times and don’t panic when the computer ( TVM? ) is telling you to start slowing down. Still it is good fun. Also the Javalin is the nearest thing to what I imagine a Pendolino feels like to drive even though I know it’s a very different type of train in characteristics, so until DTG do a proper Pendolino on the WCML then with a little bit of imagination the Javalin sort of makes a good temporary substitute although I know most of you won’t agree.

I imagine SOS will take some learning but will be another dlc that is rewarding once it’s all clicked and I’m in the mood to learn it. I’m still umming and ahhhing about that one though at the moment. Of course I’m still on PS4 as well. You know that 13 year or however old it is piece of junk people keep telling me it is. ;):D

• Like Like x 3
  2. Railfan1985

Railfan1985 Well-Known Member

SEHS is fast becoming my fav route. That tvm takes some getting used to. Yellow normally means overspeed. With tvm it means slow down to projected speed. Loving the route, as it challenges you. I've screwed myself many times with emergency braking lol

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I like the way the javelin drives, and especially the TVM sections where planning ahead is definitely a thing.
    With regards to "overbreaking" I would suggest this comes down to you leaving it too late to brake and then having to slam on the anchors to get down to speed for the signal, you shouldn't really ever be getting to full service let alone emergency on these units as for the most part you KNOW where you're going to have to slow down given in game there are almost never delays

I'm pretty sure these units have a countdown release on the e-brakes, so waiting for a minute with it in neutral (and brakes out of E) usually works, and then you can get going again

• Like Like x 2
  4. shhweeet#4292

Definitely me leaving it too late and panicking! I must learn to start braking more gently and calmly when TVM kicks in. I wonder if in real life it’s as easy to hit notch 11 though? Maybe there is a specific stop at notch 10 where you have to make a more deliberate movement to emergency brake in notch 11?

5. ARuscoe

Quote probably there is a notch or some other stopper to getting into e-braking, but then I'm also sure they don't brake harshly anyway (never noticed it when on a Javelin, but they're so smooth generally maybe I just haven't noticed)

Yep, better to brake down over the distance of the gap rather than "attack the next signal" ie slowing down just in time. I realise the timing in game sort of pushes you for that, but IRL they wouldn't (and don't) unless it's a metro. The underground definitely DOES brake for the line

• Like Like x 2
  6. If you look at the speed limit display in the cab it generally beeps to alert you that the speed limit is changing, then the next speed limit will start flashing on the display. Which gives you ample time to apply the brakes a little to slow down in time.

The only time I've had to slam on the brakes is when I'm not paying attention!! And unfortunately gone into emergency brake.

I'd imagine irl drivers don't go near notch 11 then most modern trains have abs so even if your applying full brake the train brakes won't be fully applied until you have slowed right down.

SEHS is a nice route with both the 375 and 465 to play with and the 395. Although I hate the 395s poor acceleration in dc mode but that's how they are in rl.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I love the way lu drivers apply full power or full brakes, there's no in-between. And some times use the door button for the xtra stopping force.

• Like Like x 1
  8. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

SEHS is a top notch route and one of my Favourites to drive. Having said that I had real problems remembering the power changeover procedure, But I have finally got it now and I do have the occasional Foo Par but yeah I can now do the power change over on the fly (whih I believe was a requirement in one of the scenarios in the Train Sim Classic version all those moons ago. The 375 is also great to drive and the 465 was such a great addition

Here's the manual for SEHS it explains about the TVM signalling in there.

https://media.dovetailgames.com/Tra...05.874454725.1657448762-1570179610.1601206461

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  9. ARuscoe

If I remember correctly DTG patched the changeover procedure when it changed IRL to remove one of the button presses. It's remembering to close the breaker that fails me, and then I go that "Aaah" moment and off I go

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not sure if it’s an omission but you can actually drive the Javelin with the doors wide open, which certainly enhances the in cab audio.

My two gripes about the route is that the high speed thrash is over very quickly, then you become an all stations 40 MPH bus service. Also that the tunnels are too dark, no forward illumination and these are modern concrete lined structures so should be generally lighter than traditional tunnels lined with blue bricks.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ARuscoe

The high speed thrash / bus service is what you have IRL, but at least this means if you want to ride these on the BR section you pay normal price rather than the premium for HS1
    And also, don't forget that on OHLE the limit for these trains is 140mph, on 3rd rail the max on the route is 90 (with VMAX of 100 anyway)
    I could be a pendant and point out that javelins don't often (if at all) stop at Higham, Newington or Teynham. For some reason all of the Medway stations are "important" so everything stops at all of them

• Like Like x 1
  12. OldVern

Oh I understand the service pattern, probably should have said 40 MPH average although it feels even less when you're crawling around those 15 MPH restrictions at Strood. I think I've probably reached 140 MPH on HS1 for around 30 seconds before having to start braking again.

Definitely one of the nicer done UK routes though I know it came in for some flak when first released. It also seems fairly robust as regards the save game bugs.

13. ARuscoe

The whole Medway cluster is awful for speeds, 15 from the Higham tunnels through Strood, 20 up the hill to the CML, 30 into Rochester and all the way til Luton arches. Yawn...
    Feels even worse on a Thameslink, mainly because to get from London Bridge to Gillingham is something like 30 stops

• Like Like x 3
  14. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Safe to say that SEHS went from Mediocre to now one of the most underrated dlc(Along with the 1938 Tube Stock)

15. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Yep for me the worst thing is Strood. Remembering the 20 mph down from Rochester into Strood then the 15mph out into the tunnels when all you want to do is notch 4, or going into the tunnels at 70+ mph then coming out for the right hander at 15mph or 45mph + as you never bothered to slow down lol.

With the addition of creators club, when ever I stream and the route comes up I always try to get my audience to guess what liveries the 3 66's at Hoo yard are. It throws up some interesting combos.

Hentis

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

I've had it a few times wheer I never slowed enough, but I know it goes down to 15 (though no reason why as the curves aren't that extreme)

Don't use it myself so not had that phenomenon

• Like Like x 1
  17. OldVern

Well I spoke too soon about the save game reliability. Just resumed a run about 6 miles out of Stratford in the Up direction. Brought to a stand at a 000 balise about 3 miles out. "9" view shows 3 trains ahead of me in the tunnel all stood at reds with the leading one of those a clear path into Stratford. Unfortunately I cannot get into any of the cabs on the other trains to try and set them moving in "8" view, as the tunnels have collision detection from the outside view.

18. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

I think it’s an excellent route, and the extra liveries have enhanced it. I’d like to see more of Ebbsfleet and St Pancras accessible, with the services to Ebbsfleet low level available.

A major part of the route’s appeal is obviously the international trains. It might be controversial but I’d like to see TGVs and ICE3Ms sub in. It’s not entirely unrealistic

19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I wouldn’t say top notch. It’s good, but a lot of the scenery is poor in places.

20. Victor4815

Victor4815 Member

what its IRL?

21. ARuscoe

In Real Life

• Like Like x 1
  22. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

It's certainly not a bad route. I played it a lot when it first came out, but I've barely touched it since BML came out.

Nowadays when I do play it I can't bring myself to drive the 375 though, now that the superior BML 377 sounds are out. I hate that there's no telling if DTG will ever get round to adding the new sounds.

• Like Like x 2
  23. I think there's a sound mod available for the 375.

24. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

That's all well and good if you're on PC. Unfortunately I'm not.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Oh, sorry.

26. shhweeet#4292

Some weird things happen on this route. Just recently I completed a Networker run and went to free roam at the end of it. Before I could get off and explore for some collectibles the new train driver had us on our way so I decided to stay on however we were at the end of the map but the train carried on into this whole new strange computer generated world. Quite surreal.

When I first got this dlc I went into St Pancras at full speed and experienced the Javalin doing its Chitty Chitty Bang Bang flying impression. Again quite surreal but both experiences were kinda fun.

Still loving this dlc though and it’s delaying my purchase of SOS.

• Like Like x 1
  27. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Just played a Javelin service again after a few months. It’s really quite cool! I personally love the transition from high speed to regional service. I’m personally not someone who enjoys driving at max speeds for endless hours (it gets boring!), but can’t say no to a quick sprint from London to Ebbsfleet, so having that variety in there is great.

Would’ve preferred if they made the main platforms of Ebbsfleet International accessible in order to give us the option of doing shorter high-speed only services. But it’s still an amazing route nonetheless. In fact, these services could be added by the preservation crew. They would just need to expand the boundaries at Ebbsfleet, add some more environmental details to the platforms and tick a box that allows the existing AI services stopping there to be player-accessible!

• Like Like x 2