How Do You Manage The Ps5 Download Limit?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by simontreanor81, Jul 14, 2022.

1. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Do you switch DLC in and out or keep a consistent set installed? I tend to go for the latter. I'm from the UK and am a big fan of German rail, so I've focused on the latter two: even the routes I play less often add layers to the ones I do. For this reason I've sacrificed:

* IOW
    * Cathcart
    * Caltrain
    * LIRR
    * NEC
    * LGV Med
    * (most recently) West Somerset

I haven't bought Luzern - Sursee, Metro North and won't get IOW2 next week partly due to this issue.US freight-only routes aren't my back so they're not an issue (although it'd be nice to remove Sand Patch)

2. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

To be fair I gave up as I can’t be arsed uninstalling and reinstalling a DLC I want to play and sometimes it doesn’t works and I have to redownload the game with the DLC I want and taking care of not going over 64GB it’s time consuming even though it takes me only 3 minutes to install the game. I only play on the PS4 version and waiting for the ability to transfer our progress over the PS5 version and finally being able to use all our DLCs with their new DLC manager thingy

3. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

On the PS5 I have all the UK routes and loco dlc bar Isle of Wright and all the German routes and loco dlc bar Dresden Chemnitz installed. I tend to get on ok. However on the PS4* version of TSW I have all the routes and loco dlc's installed so I tend not to have a problem. I would prefer to have all the dlc in on the PS5 but well there you go.
    How do I deal with it. I dont swap out. Since the harlem line all new route DLC I buy goes on the PS4 version. I just don't download it for the PS5.
    Just got to live with it to be fair. Its frustrating as hell waiting this long but nowt we can do about it.

Hentis

4. phillip.good

phillip.good Well-Known Member

I used to have a process of doing a country per month so one month US, then Germany then UK but, to be honest, with the bugs and general pain in the ass-ness I have ended up with a) not buying new routes (barring SOS) and b) only leaving content in that’s not irritatingly bugged.

5. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I have all the German Routes and my favourite UK routes on PS 5 version.

I have everything I own installed on PS 4 version.

Progress and Achievements don’t bother me as I switch between different platforms a lot anyway so it works fine.

Longer Term, I’m switching to Xbox as things come up in sales (so very slowly). Just because the cloud gaming is excellent.

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

For now, I'm not really managing it at all. If a route DLC comes out I want to buy, I delete routes as needed. There are quite a few routes I'd like to have a go at again which are currently uninstalled and I can't be bothered to juggle them around. I can't wait for the manager to arrive as this is truly unacceptable to my mind.

• Like Like x 3
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I originally removed the US routes, plus LGV and Arosa to keep UK and German routes but some wouldn’t fit such as IoW and Cathcart and some loco DLC for WSR was sacrificed too. After a while I removed all the German routes and reinstated the others. That’s my current situation, no German content installed. I really can’t be bothered swapping things around frequently, I’d rather just keep blocks of routes that have interdependencies as much as I can and do a big swap every now and then. It also helps that I haven’t bought some routes that I may have done otherwise although I am waiting for routes to appear in sales. I think there are 8 DLC I wish to purchase, but not all of them are routes, there are enhancement packs too. If there is a sale of some of these newer DLC before the fix arrives then I’ll just delete some more routes to make them fit and live with it like that for a while. I don’t expect a fix before a core update comes (TSW3) to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ray.flanagan67

ray.flanagan67 Active Member

I haven't bothered to delete routes and as a result, lost the Dresden rush hour route i had been playing before and never got to play the London Brighton route.
    Just recently have loaded the Brighton line on my PS4vand have been playing that without the overlays obviously.
    I am not buying new routes and I think that the change has been too long coming. The thread on why there was an error was in November, and I think that the "watch this space" from Matt is just not good enough.
    I only hope that the PS4 to PS5 update is voluntary and doesn't overwrite the progress that I have been doing on my PS5. Getting a bit tired redoing the progress from TSW1 to TSW2, and again from PS4 to PS5.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I was previously focused on a set of UK & DE routes, but it was just a ridiculous runaround dealing with wanting to download another route which had layers.

Now I’ve just given up and don’t buy any DLC or even play so much, too much of a run around trying to juggle the install size.

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The amount I play TSW 2 has diminished significantly since the PS5 DLC limit issue because even though I have a 300+ Mbps connection with Virgin Media, it’s too much of a faff to play my content with all the layers etc. I still play.

• Like Like x 2
  11. simontreanor81

You know, the idea of having the PS4 version too hadn't occurred to me. I might try it...

12. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I've currently don't have any American routes installed apart from sand patch, one German route and Swiss route and SOS and when the upgraded island line is out cathcart circle will be deleted. DTG really need to get this fix out but they seem to waiting for it to be put on xbox at the same time

13. ZR Leigh

ZR Leigh Member

I erased a few routes after reaching the limit and haven’t reinstalled them since. I must admit that the limit has put me off buying routes as I don’t want to constantly manage it. I hope they work around it soon.

14. simontreanor81

Yeah definitely, I probably would have bought Haarlem by now, and I know I won't get IOW2 and Luzern at least until this is fixed. If a new route that I feel I can't hold off on comes out I'm gonna have to make difficult choices - I'm already missing WSR stock on other routes.

15. toffski#8424

toffski#8424 Member

Can’t say I’ve bought anything new since playing on PS5. Think it’s daft that I’ll have to install/uninstall routes that I want to play each time I fire up, and as other have mentioned my play time has greatly finished. It’s a shame really as it’s been an enjoyable play since upgrading to a PS5.

16. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It's ironic that the ps5 has this issue but the ps4 doesn't. I thought the ps4 was holding the game back. Seems the other way around ;)

17. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Bet you felt good posting that. Reassurance 101. It's nothing to do with performance and is due to some pathetic arbitrary rule Sony imposed on the ps5 and you know it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

I have all of the UK based DLC at the moment but will change to all German in a day or two and then back again when I feel like a change . I had been on the PS4 but the main reason I got the PS5 was for TSW and want to use it as it’s so much better, so I do. I cannot believe that we are still waiting for this and wonder why it’s taking so long . Who is working on it , Mr Bean and Frank Spencer ? it’s obviously not a team as such or there would surely have been some notable progress. It’s really not good enough
    “Watch this space” The space is a void maaaaaaan

19. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It may be a bit restricting and is a major hassle if you want instant access to every route you have and should have been fixed by now but my new player profile for PS5 (that I got at the same time Rush Hour released and shortly before this limit was imposed) is now at level 500 so I can’t say it has affected how much I play. Sometimes I’ve had the urge to play one of the routes that I currently have uninstalled but I’ve played something else instead rather than switch out routes and had just as good a time on that alternative route. Its impact has been less than what I thought it would have been on my actual enjoyment considering it has been an issue for such a long long long old time. I’ve had to make the most out of a bad situation. It’s taken away the urge to buy some new content at full price and made waiting for a sale much easier, so it may end up as a small financial win for me in the end.

20. antony.henley

I have the PS4 version installed on a 4tb external drive on the PS5 and it works great. The only noticeable differences are fps (usually around 60 - 62fps) and the fact it looks a tad better in graphics. I have the PS5 version installed on a 2tb internal SSD expansion slot.

On the PS4 I am able to get all the routes but obviously routes like BML, HMA wont have all the active layers that the PS5 would and LPC route wont have the same consists as the PS5 version. Although I do have all those routes on the PS5, the only routes I dont have on the PS5 is SMH, CC, IOW, DCZ, LGV,ARL, LZN, BPE,OSD, CRR, HAR, LIRR,HSC, PC & HSC. I just recently added the Class 438 back to the PS5 although that really needs to be looked at as in sounds. Most of the new routes will from now on downloaded on the PS4. Until the DLC manager is released.

I am currently on level 482 for the PS4 version but the PS5 version I am upto about 330'ish so I dont really see the point now of the PS4 / PS5 transfer to be honest. I personally cant see this Download manager appearing till after TSW >INSERT NEXT WORKING TITLE HERE< is released to be honest.

Cheers
    Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  21. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Your on level 482 for PS4 and 330ish for PS5 but you say you don’t see the point of a PS4 to PS5 transfer? Seriously!?

The point is not all of us have hours and hours of time to spend starting totally from scratch on a PS5 to get our level and gold medals, trophy’s or whatever back when or if we switch to the newer console. Jeeze! Do you actually have a life?

To put it into some kind of context I bought Cathcart Circle in the last sale because it was really quite cheap but I haven’t really touched it yet because the few hours I do set aside for TSW2 is taken up with other dlc routes which I’m currently enjoying and it’s also one of the reasons amongst others why I still haven’t taken the plunge yet and bought SOS. No point paying full price even if I wanted to if it’s going to be a while until I get around to really playing it. Anyway the point is there is every reason why we need to be able to transfer our progress etc from PS4 to PS5. i.e. some of us don’t spend every bonus hour God grants us playing a train game.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

I finally received my PS5 yesterday. The first thing I did was install TSW2 and all of my DLC routes, maybe 12-15 total. I didn't receive any error messages and it appears the routes are available in the main menu. Is there something specific I should be looking out for? Thanks in advance for the help.

23. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Check the install size of the DLCs. If your DLCs (excluding the base game) exceed roughly 64GB, you won't see all of the installed routes in-game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. antony.henley

From my point of view, no not now. If for instance the PS4 - PS5 transfer fix was actually fixed with in the first few months and not put on the todo list, and made available before players who had got a PS5 had gotten too far into the PS5 leveling up, It would have been great to carry on... brilliant. But it wasn't So I literally was forced to start again.

Exactly and this is why there should have been more effort by DTG to fixing the PS4 - PS5 Transfer problem. Then the PS5 DLC limit comes into play as well and the amount of time that has taken to "develop" Should have put more people on it. Shoulda woulda coulda

No I dont I am a carer (for the past 4 years) for my mum who is dying. Not just a few hours here or there. But When I was doing my 40 hour week at work it was 123 hours per week caring for her as well.
    Now as I was made redundant as the company I worked for re located in November last year Its 24/7, 7 days a week, 4 weeks a month, month in month out. AND I dont get one little bit of help from my two sisters or brothers. I get a pitiful amount called carers allowance to live on every month. So in fact the only goto thing I have is TSW which I mostly play in my livestreams which I have to sometime interrupt and pause as I am sorting my mum out. I get to do stuff I don't want to be doing as well as seeing things no son should, I don't get a break and I certainly don't have a life where I can just sod off for four days on holiday. If I do go anywhere I have to leave her home to cope on her own as the rest of the family leave it all for me todo. So when I am in between caring for my mum then there's housework and sometimes I get to go on TSW.

I'd love to go off on holiday and not have to worry about her.
    The most I can do is a day out but I still worry about her.

So when she , Oh and this really sounds horrible but when your in the same position I'm in you may well understand, When she does eventually die then only then I will get my life back.

No I wish I don't, infact I wish I had a full time job, crap loads of money coming in and not worrying about having to care for my mum. But hey ho **** happens

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  25. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

My internet is ridiculously fast, so usually I'll download something, if I really want it, while playing another route.

How do I decide what routes I want?
    Usually I'm focused on knocking out a set of trophies related to a specific route, and generally I'll keep the routes that will layer onto said route.

What I've found helpful for me, was to first "complete" routes that don't offer any layers. So I knocked out routes like Harlem and that newish Swiss route immediately, and then discarded them. I probably won't bother with them again until the dlc limit is actually fixed, unless I reaaally get the itch.

26. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

@ Hentis

The point I was highlighting was just because YOU managed to get a PS5 and have managed to level up to near enough your PS4 levels for whatever reason before DTG find a solution to the transfer issue it’s still a big issue for those of us who haven’t yet got a PS5 and so would still have to start all over again. There might be no point of a fix for you or people in your position now but for most other people there is every point and if DTG want to get keep their player base whom I would assume they hope will go onto PS5’s eventually then they need to address the issue more urgently because not everyone is like you, and because not everyone is in a situation or have the time for whatever reason to be able to start all over again from scratch. So there might indeed be no need for an urgent fix for the transfer issue from your point of view or some others but tbh I think that’s a pretty selfish point of view. Don’t you?

You felt the need to jump on a throw away line of Jeeze haven’t you got a life? Which I used in order to enforce the point I’ve just made with seriously emotional attack response towards me about your awful personal circumstance. Of course it goes without saying I’m extremely sorry for your mums condition and the awful and stressful situation you both find yourselves in and my heart goes out to both of you and I wish both you and your mum all the best and support with regards your current situation. But to respond equally to you since you WERE deliberately being horrible in that emotional attack by insinuating if I were to find myself in a similar position to you I might well understand. How do you know I’m not, or haven’t been in that position or any other similar position of any kind equally horrible? Maybe I just don’t feel the need to share whatever personal and extremely upsetting situations I find myself in, or have found myself in on a game message board on the internet.

Oh! and btw your not allowed to use or insinuate a swear word even by the use of stars on this MB. Apparently!

Stay strong!

27. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Who said I felt good posting that? Learn to take a joke

28. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

Got it. I'm at 68GB, so I'll have to go through and verify that all of those routes are actually showing up. Thanks for the tip.

29. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

one thing I've noticed about the routes that I've installed but aren't showing up:
    normally, for me, these seem to show up in the in-game PS store as purchasable (aka it shows that I haven't bought them)

I usually use that as a guide to help me figure out which route isn't popping up for me

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

This thread cracks me up.

31. d.heal

d.heal Well-Known Member

I really do wonder how long in till the fix does come out as I have almost forgotten about the routes and Loco Add-Ons that are not installed I'm properly that the only one but is problem is not good for new players that forms, the road map or heard anything about it or seen it on Facebook it can put people off playing the game or buying the Add-Ons