Is The The Ugliest Train Ever Build?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stijn.claessens, Jan 30, 2021.

1. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

They have an interesting history - they were designed as part of a 1960s push by the US to out do the then new Series 0 Shinkansen. It seems the designers had never heard of Aerodynamics or styling

2. fabdiva

The French do love their Audacious Engineering!

3. fabdiva

I always found these a bit too sinister looking
    Tobu-Series500[1].jpg

Tobu 500 Series

• Like Like x 4
  4. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

That is one angry looking train. Are there doors at the front or is it just a weird line? :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s a door so when coupling units the passenger can go through

6. wombleway

wombleway Well-Known Member

I like that!

7. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

I am a fan of hiding the walk-through corridors like this, looks very neat. I like the futuristic appearance too, although those LED lights make me think it is about to start talking.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Sometimes we design beautiful trains but sometimes it’s so ugly you need to erase it from the earth surface with a flamethrower

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

I don't know why but it reminds me of Star Wars :o

• Like Like x 2
  10. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Yeah it looks like a stormtrooper a bit

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

The Metroliner wouldn't be too bad if it had full-width cab windows (or at least symmetrical panes), agreed that the giant AMTRAK livery looks like the vinyl billboards on the sides of buses (which extend over the windows so it just looks like a giant flat slab with no definition).

In the style of Metroliners/Amfleets though (and the carriage design was indeed based on the Amfleet), I give you the Adelaide Rail 2000 Class railcar - the answer to the question that no-one asked, "what if we combine a train with a 747?". Apparently the raised cab was a result of satisfying a union requirement of a full-width cab whilst still maintaining multiple unit coupling and thru-access
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. timpaige9dv

timpaige9dv New Member

Hi all, it seems to me that the scariest and most dangerous trains are in Bosnia and Herzegovina. I read an article about them, but the feeling of absurdity of what is happening did not leave me. These trains have rude conductors, whose faces don't even have a hint of a smile on them. Sometimes they just seem as ironclad as their road.

13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good Point and if you want an ugly looking Shinkansen you have a choice of Texas Central N700S and the second longest tunnel in the world the Seikan Tunnel capable E5 & H5 Shinkansen.

14. Joel Hazeldene

Joel Hazeldene New Member

The BR Class 4DD was a very interesting double decker train. But had a bit of an ugly look on the sides.

[​IMG]

15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Union Pacifics Experimental Coal Turbine #80/#8080. Built from an ALCO PA, an Ex GN W-1, and an Ex-Challenger Tender. Definitely not as pretty looking as the GTELs, or even the Steam Turbine.
    283651173d07b4ae129b5d5b80856868.jpg 22424313142_1f91176cda_b.jpg 53779aad2447f3fc5c452a4838214516.jpg

16. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Looks more like an military train due to the parts that are installed on the roof and the second wagon

17. Kevinsim1046

Kevinsim1046 Active Member

I don’t think any of those are as bad as this South African made freight locomotive…to me it’s the ugliest locomotive I have ever seen.

Attached Files:

18. mikelh#4093

mikelh#4093 New Member

NO. here at spain many high speed trains are like this. But I saw more uglier trains (class 458/0 for example)

19. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Huh? I'm sincerely interested to know how one can view the Danish rubber thing - known for its ugliness irrespective of people's tastes - and the beauty that is the 807 in the same way.

I also disagree with people who see the SCMaglev and ALFA-X as being ugly - they have futuristic aesthetics, which are beautiful in their own way. The latter has aesthetic elements of a mecha robot from a Japanese anime - one of the coolest looks you can get in my books, and something that fits its role and function as a modern bullet train bearing the unique Japanese industrial design that sets it apart from everything else. I guess one would need to get used to the overall design/visual aesthetics of Japan to start appreciating this thing as coming out of it.

Now, one Japanese design that definitely looks hideous, even if it would fit well in a 1960s science fiction book illustration:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. derek#2931

derek#2931 Well-Known Member

21. The fiat multipla is undoubtedly one of the most ugliest cars ever made!

Here's it railway counterpart

images.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  22. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes the mobile chicken shed. I have the chance to travel on it everyday if I don't manage to get up in time to get to the Junction on foot!

23. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Bit harsh- looks no worse than a shopper 'bus to me especially compared to some of the gargoyle units in this thread.

I didn't ride the Dodger very often when I lived in Stourbridge when it was invariably a Class 121 or 122 "bubblecar" (I was on Hagley road about the same walking distance from the Junction and town stations so the only reason to take it was just for the ride) but if I ever go back I shall make a point of doing so. How long has this trial been going on now? ten years?

24. theorganist

I have fond memories of the class 121's, I can vaguely remember the 122's but I think they went around 1987/88.

It was around 2009 they replaced the class 153's with these. The class 153 was overkill. But, in the morning during term time the shuttle or dodger is often full of students and there are occasions in the past where people haven't been able to get on (the class 139), Parry designed longer ones I believe including ones with bogies.

To my embarrassment a few years ago I was on Bewdley station on the Severn Valley and there was one of the Parry People Movers parked in the station yard and me and a friend were looking at it. An elderly gentleman walked up to us and said "what is all this then?" I went on to explain what they were and that some locals call it the mobile chicken shed and that how I didn't think it was suitable for the old jointed track on the town branch, it did tend to shake you about, it was terrible if you had a full bladder! He then went on to introduce himself as Mr Parry! I did try and back track a bit but was probably not convincing. If ever there was a moment I wanted a hole to appear in the ground this was it. So lesson learned, always check who you are speaking to before getting on your soapbox!

• Like Like x 2
  25. JJTimothy

I don't think I noticed the difference between Classes 121 and 122 at the time though this one that ran the buffers at the Town station in 1977 was a Class 122. (Not my picture- I might have been in the background if it extended more to the left.)
    [​IMG]

This is what the same unit looks like now (again not my picture).
    [​IMG]

It's the train I rode the last time I went on the Weardale Railway.

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

I was two when that happened, although plenty of people remember it, it is actually at the bottom of my road. It has all changed there now the bus station is where the original town station is of course and there have been two new stations since. 55032 and 55033 were the other two bubble cars which went through the retaining wall of the replacement station, after they moved it further up the line.

Even those lovely Victorian houses in the back ground have gone now. They were compulsorily purchased for a large Tesco development which eventually got thrown out :mad:.

55012 does look smart in that livery, it was the Loadhaul liveried route learner if I recall. Of course it would never have carried the E prefix during its BR service. I must have a trip on it when I am up that way.

27. JJTimothy

So I guess the old 'bus station is gone? There was always a loop with stops for the 'busses on this side of the road but it was across from the main 'bus station/depot. IIRC the station building, a single storey but quite big, was knocked down a couple of years after this accident. I believe the entrance building at the Junction has been demolished now- I'm not sure if it's even possible to enter or leave the station from the west side of the line.

(Sorry if anyone's miffed about this thread being hijacked BTW- I'll stop now.)

28. theorganist

Yes the town station was demolished in 1978-79 and the station moved a few yards up the line where it was a platform with a bus stop shelter and a portacabin for a ticket office, a nice piece of Victorian architecture demolished as was common in the 1970's. A new bus station was built on the old station site. The old bus station survived certainly into the 80's, I think as a bus depot more than a bus station, it was demolished and a car sales dealership built on the site. We now have a very space age bus station with a shop and toilets so very 21st century, although you have to pay to use the toilets!

Around 20-25 or so years ago a new station (the third town station) was built another few yards up the line an on the other side with a new building. If it moves any further up the line it will be in Hagley :D!

The entrance to the junction was demolished (another bit of short sighted architectural vandalism) and a more modern entrance built, this was in the 80's I think. You can still enter the station from the west side of the line.

I also apologise for the swerve in thread topic!