Have To Laugh At What I Noticed With My Raildriver

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sharon E, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I just set up the RailDriver to work with TSC and the button which is used to open and close the doors in TSW2, is used in TSC to toggle you position in the cab. Well, now when I open the doors, I am looking in the heads out position, so now it's easy to scan the platform. Once you close the doors just go back to the driving position.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Ooo nice. Very convenient

• Like Like x 1
  3. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

PXL_20220719_182603075.MP.jpg

I have a shelf built so my keyboard sits on top of my RD to allow use of my keyboard for those functions not mapped to the RD

4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I've used RD again after a long time and I have to say I was disappointed, particularly the throttle/dynamic brake handle. Is it just my unit being old and decrepit, or is it actually really hard to use the power/brake handle accurately? I really don't understand why not make it notched...

I had a lot more fun (with German trains at least) to using the independent brake and auto brake as throttle and train brake respectively (in TS)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  5. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

I agree, it can be difficult. I don’t know how they’d make it notched, though. Different forms of traction have different numbers of notches, so how many notches would they put on RailDriver?

I agree, though, that it would be helpful if the two brake levers could be used as power and brake, as the RailDriver throttle has such a small range of movement.

6. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I think the standard US 8 notches for power and smooth dynamic brake would have been ok, while using the independent brake (or adding another dedicated lever) as a throttle for foreign train would have been a better way to do it. IMO it does really feel wrong to use the clearly US controls to drive an european train.

If I were to re-engineer RD, I would have:

• US throttle/dynamic lever notched in the power region.
    • Instead of the reverser being strictly a reverser I would have a completely different power/brake handle (smooth - like the German EMUs) with a detent on the centre, that can be used as a reverser when using the US style one or the smooth throttle (as written later)
    • Completely smooth lever in the middle (to the right of the throttle) to be used either as independent brake or pure smooth throttle, and
    • Auto brake all the way to the right.
    • A completely new reverser, either a german style one with a rotating arm, or two buttons (like the BR187 and G6)
    I think it would have been worse at representing a "real cab" unlike the current one that closely resembles the newer US diesels but would have allowed for a lot more flexibility.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Sprinter classes in the UK have 7 power settings, most others post 1990 have 4 notches, some have only one notched setting and the rest is fluid
    Having arbitrary notched settings wouldn't work for everyone

for the raft of UK trains I think it's a decent compromise for most driving functions with the reverser, power and two multifunction levers (for instance on the 101 the train brake lever becomes the gear lever and the independent brake lever is the lapped brake lever)

• Like Like x 2
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Well, in that case notch 8 is just unused, if you go there it's just a continuation of notch 7

9. ARuscoe

Already thought of that. Don't see why it's any better than not having notches at all other than when it's notched you don't have to look down at the gauges to see where your power level is

10. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I broke my horn lever ... again :-(

• Like Like x 1
  11. ARuscoe

You're obviously yanking too hard

• Like Like x 1
  12. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

There's a joke in there..

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

Where? I didn't notice... :o;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

I can't get on with using a raildriver for German trains, drives me mad that the levers work backwards,
    And really annoying that the reverser lever is wasted being used to operate a 3 or 4 position SWITCH, it's not like you vary the position of the reverser when driving an electric or diesel train (i read they use the reverser for the gears in the UK class 101 DMU, at least that's one bit of thinking outside the box)

it would be nice if DTG can give us the ability to assign the controls we choose to the levers and buttons, and not be stuck with what the person who coded the trains controls for that particular variant thought we'd like to have (take the BR423.. totally different button maps depending if you choose the new journeys extension version or not)

Hence why i'm making my "Euro RailDriver" that i'm sure people have seen me go on about before:
    ERD V3.jpg

It's still a work in progress... i need to laser cut some new side panels after gluing one of them in flipped 180 degrees, and make up new switch/lever legend plates now i have the thinner material to cut from.... i must update my thread about this really.

But the main feature of my levers is i have easily changeable notch plates, so i can change any lever from a full length travel one, with either smooth travel or notches....
    To a center detented one with as many notches i want in either direction:

EMU Notch wheel.jpg
    The render of the EMU/DMU style center off lever, with a smooth forwards/power section, and pulling the lever back it has detent before full service brakes, and a harder detent to get past to go into emergency brakes.

Brake Notch Wheel.jpg And a render of a brake notch wheel, this is from when i was making it with the idea of using it with TSC, where every loco has different numbers of notches for brakes etc,

i'm now going to be using it almost exclusively with TSW2, as at least they have the same number of notches on all German trains that use this brake lever style, so the brake lever notch plates will be fit and forget, i just change the one on the power lever and AFB lever as needed when i change train i drive.

• Like Like x 3
  15. gazz292

they'd have to have interchangeable cover plates for the levers,

i've read on some German forums that some people have done similar things to this, someone turned a raildriver into a more German friendly version by cutting and gluing parts of the levers cover plates,

Nowadays with people having access to 3D printers* it'd be easier to maybe re-build the raildriver into a Euro spec one, or at least print new lever covers that give you better options than trying to make something aimed at the US market work on Euro trains.

*if you dont own a 3D printer, you likely have a hackspace / makerspace near you, where you can get access to 3D printers, Laser cutters, and usually lathes, milling machines, cnc machines, woodworking machines, plus electronics stuff etc, for a small monthly fee.

I use my local hackspaces laser cutter, and used their 3D printer before i got my own.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

Nope
    on the BR Class 101 the reverser is used for the reverser. The train brake handle (the larger T shaped one that doesn't "bail off") does the gears (as does the range toggle), and the loco brake acts as the train brake with apply, lap and release positions

17. gazz292

ahh gotya, only english trains i have in tsw2 are the underground ones that came with the base program,

When we have German electric loco's trains that have 5 levers, and the raildriver has only 4 (plus the useless 'bail off thing' what a waste to use one of the levers used for the reverser switch.

But of course everyone has a different idea of what controls are important to them, which is why we really need the ability to freely assign the controls as we like them,

Having the reversing switch on one of the rotary analog controls on the raildriver would make more sense, to me at least, i'm sure others think differently.

18. ARuscoe

I'm fairly sure the RD was designed way before TSW, so it's going to be a bit of a bodge job either way. Not sure if the manufacturers are on the forum (or would even listen to suggestions) but having the reverser / off switch (on a lot of UK stock anyway) on a rotary switch just under their logo would be the best thing to do methinks
    This should allow for "Off", "reverse", "Engine Only" and "ON" positions with probably a spare. These should be notched similar to the wipers / lights
    With only three real "locking positions" the current lever isn't fit for purpose in TSW and even a lot of TSC trains now have more then three positions for their on/reverser

• Like Like x 1
  19. gazz292

oh yes, the raildriver came out in the early 2000's, but it's not really been updated since... i guess there's no need to for the market it's aimed at... driving american trains.

Mind, it could be that they had say 500 of them made back then, and when you buy one today you are getting one from that same stock, train simulator hardware doesn't sell as well as flight simulator hardware does it seems (not hard to see why when we rarely get native joystick input on train sims, the keyboard is good enough to drive trains with we're told)

i know one of the old train sims the raildriver worked by reading the text on your monitor that gave you info about the train, and converted that into keypresses to work the controls, like someone has done with TSW2 to make joysticks work.... tho i remember you could change the text colour of the info to be invisible, and the raildriver would still work and you didn't have a HUD type thing in your face.

20. dr1980

dr1980 Member

My old rail driver is still going strong 20 years later, but boy do it wish someone would come up with a successor to it. Larger levers, options for notches, maybe even metal construction? I have an Airbus throttle for flight sim that has notches but you can disable them pretty easily…something similar for rail would be great.