Iofw Class 484 Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trigzd, Jul 19, 2022.

1. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

I'm going to come straight out the gate and say Rivet, this is honestly the best DLC you have done to date for TSW2. It has fixed all of the issues I personally had with the original Isle of Wight route and then some.

Whilst I haven't had the pleasure of riding on a class 484 just yet in real life, from various videos I've seen, it seems like a good representation in game. The sounds seem appropriate and for me certainly good enough for this train (speaking as someone who still cannot play with the class 150 because the sounds simply condemn it), the physics - okay so the acceleration seems a little emphatic but that might also be accurate given the motive power that they have, so I'm willing to believe that.

There are a lot of nice touches here like the automatic doors at Ryde Pier Head, the sparks that we haven't seen on any routes to date, inserting a key to open a cab door rather than magic taking place and even the humble guard panel, not to mention Rivet's liberatingly sparing use of invisible walls so you can even get to enjoy the beach! For me, this makes it stand out from the increasingly crowded library of routes and locos, it adds something genuinely new and that's great to see, even if they are small things, they feel huge!

So far I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs that causes me to sit at a red light interminably or indeed straight up fall off the rails. But a few things nonetheless:
    • If you do the key shortcut to turn safety systems on/off the HUD displays the opposite of what is true, i.e. push the shortcut to enable all safety systems and text pops up saying 'safety systems off'
    • AI trains passengers only board in the rear cab door, which is obviously closed. At least that's what I noticed.
    • Ryde Esplanade has two 4 car stop signs instead of one 2 car and one 4 car on the disused platform
    • Some platform displays aren't quite fitting the monitor size properly, i.e. "plat" and then you reach the side of the monitor before any number
    • Some ground in places you can fall to a lower level than the ground is at, this is something of a none issue because in my experience you can always 'climb up' to get back up to where you need to be
    That is honestly it so far, I'm really enjoying my time with this route, reliving memories of playing this on TSC many years ago in Free Roam mode and just going backwards and forwards. Good job Rivet, and hopefully you can take all that you have learnt here forwards onto something new and shiny!

• Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I have really loved playing this DLC so far. As you said, there don't appear to be any game-breaking bugs. However, I would add the following:

- AI trains have no drivers.
    - When starting a service at Shanklin, the train's lights automatically set up in reverse at the start of the service...tail lights on the front, headlights at the rear.
    - When starting a service, only 30 seconds set up time is allocated before the train is due to depart. The loading time is also 30 seconds, making it almost impossible to leave on time. I'd prefer a little longer.
    -When driving in the rain, the raindrops on the windscreen appear very faint, almost as if they are not there. They can, however, be seen faintly when zooming in.
    - There is spelling mistake on the control desk of "break" instead of "brake".
    - I'm not quite sure why some semaphore signals display yellow without being followed by a red. Maybe this is my lack of understanding?
    - Odd passenger behaviour. Falling through stairs, bridges etc, not boarding trains as expected. Many occasions where most passengers remain on the platform without boarding, only to walk away when the doors lock.

I must stress how much I have enjoyed the route and, I agree, it is by far Rivet's best DLC. It's also made me realise that for me to enjoy a route, I need good gameplay and not necessarily a long route. There's lots to keep me entertained. Thank you, Rivet!

• Like Like x 4
  3. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

From the little I’ve played so far, it is a really polished route. The detail is lovely. The Class 484 is wonderfully detailed, the modelling and amount of clickable stuff is so well done; even just stuff like using the buttons to open and close the cab doors, and the fully detailed, fully usable guard’s panel just make this feel more like a proper sim and less like an arcade game.

(The only thing I’m not sure about is the activated guard’s door interlocking the throttle when open. Maybe that’s a safety feature on the real train, but I feel like the guard’s door on videos of the 483, and just about every American passenger train I’ve ridden, does not lock out the throttle.)

4. PAFC47760

PAFC47760 Member

Polished route, if only West cornwall was the same

• Like Like x 2
  5. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree, I hope that Jasper and his team will now put right the many flaws in WCL. I just feel that they won’t. Prove me wrong Rivet!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

Don’t worry give it time they will do work on it then expect you to buy it again like this one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

I like the route, it is as good or better than any DTG route (including the 484 which is fun and has good sounds). If Rivet would rework the other two routes in the same way, I would gladly pay a similar price for them as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    Happy to pay again for Cornwall if they would make the same sort of effort.
    Feedback from the forums has obviously gotten through.
    Let's hope this bodes well for the future.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reviews!

10. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

That's what constructive feedback is called! No "oh it's from Rivet? Stay away, it can't be good!". You mentioned the things you like and the things you think that need to be looked at again. Well done :)

About the accelaration: while i don't know the real train, it might be accurate due to the tractive power of it. Seems a bit "jumpy" in notch 1, but that could be realistic.

• Like Like x 4
  11. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

If Arosa and Cornwall received such improvements, I would also pay a new price for them. These are two wonderful routes that can miraculously transform and become real masterpieces.
    I really hope that this will happen and I am ready to wait for that day to come.

• Like Like x 3
  12. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

I like the Class 484, a lot of detailed work has been done right down to the cabin which is very functional. I also like the fact that you can take the role of the guard, it adds to the gameplay.

• Like Like x 2
  13. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Yesterday I started a new journey around the island with pleasure. The 484's cabin and salon car are a pleasure to be in. Interesting and beautiful train.
    I never thought I'd buy an island road! Twice!!! In the TS, this route did not interest me.
    Thank you Rivet for the pleasure!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  14. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Maybe if they made a “valenta” HST and sold it as a Loco DLC with updated route for the same sort of price as Island Line 2022, I would be interested.

They would need to make a big improvement on the scenery, particularly paying close attention to iconic landmarks such as Truro Cathedral and St Michaels Mount, not just sticking generic blobs there as they are at present. I would also expect a much improved Class 150 to be layered in to provide more variety.

• Like Like x 7
  15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Id pay 24.99 for this.

I agree the scenery would vastly need improving, but between the Valenta & 150 (again much improved), they would also solve the current layer crisis on the route.

So much is wrong with the current iteration of the DLC though, I can see why upset would be caused by a re-release (hypothetical of course).

I like that Rivet considered giving us both St Ives & the St Austell extension, however they don’t add much other than more lacklustre scenery, I’d rather of had the extra time spent on the Penzance - Truro section.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

I know this thread is about the 484 and the IOW route, but have to agree about how Rivet could improve WCL, particularly adding a Valenta HST. The Valenta HST would make WCL the route it should have been from the start.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I am finding it ok so far. The vehicle derailing below speed limit is back and is an PITA. I remember this being a thing from Arosa days. Hope they fix it soon.

18. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

You are purchasing a new train with an updated route with it! Did you expect it to be free? They don't expect you to buy it again, they probably assume you are responsible for doing what you want with your own money and can make your own decisions!

• Like Like x 2
  19. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

A Quick Review of the Isle of Wight 2022 DLC by Rivet Games

[​IMG]
    TLDR: Isle of Wight 2022 is a wonderful, relaxing route with tons of detail and things to look at!

The Scenery:
    So with this being the first Rivet product I've purchased, I was pleasantly surprised just by the sheer quality of the immediate surrounding scenery. The trackside is packed with foliage and all sorts of railway related infrastructure. I've noticed some highly detailed logs, and chopped trees as well, with plenty of cool new assets sprinkled throughout. This, without a doubt is certainly among the top 5 routes when it comes to scenery. For a TSW route, I actually got the impression of an island that felt lived-in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Train Modeling and Details:
    As for the trains themselves, the BR Class 484 is wonderfully detailed as well. By the looks of it, nearly 90% of the cab is intractable, right down to being able to change the seat height (thank goodness!)
    The sounds...oh my, the sounds were incredible. One of the most immediate ways for me to tell if a DLC is gonna be good, is in how much of a tactile feel and response you get with all the buttons and switches. And I certainly believe Rivet nailed this aspect, everything just feels clicky in all the right ways.
    I also loved the addition of operable passenger windows, and the guards panel!

[​IMG]

Bugs and Issues:
    • It's common for passengers to get stuck when disembarking in stations
    • So far, I've noticed that the passengers seem to really prefer boarding only one car over the other
    • There is a minor scenery issue, with what looks like a tree clipping through the top of the tunnel on the northbound track, arriving toward Ryde Esplanade Station
    •I've had an instance of a stuck horn that would continue playing, then gradually decay over the course over several minutes. It seemed to have happened when fiddling too much with the horn lever. Though this only happened once so far.
    • Services starting at Shanklin Station seem to have their headlights on backwards
    • I've had an instance of a passenger going onto the tracks at Brading station, just underneath the overpass.
    • For whatever reason, the AI seems to trip the Auxiliary power when finishing a service, effectively shutting down the entire train that's about to turn around in 5 minutes.
    • AI drivers appear to be missing.

[​IMG]

The Verdict:
    With all the bugs listed, there is some more improvements that should be made to this DLC, but as a whole, right now, I don't really have a problem recommending this route. It's got some genuine charm to it. The route feels easy and relaxing to drive, and services can be completed under 30 minutes. It serves well, as a relaxing drive to unwind from the day. I think it's well worth the price of $22 USD

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. truestone

truestone New Member

I haven't seen much yet but I also find this Isle of Wight much more immersive than the previous version and among the best DLC.
    • Details all over the place.
    • The tutorial micromanages less. Not the old "now you'll speed up, now you'll coast, now you'll brake" but "here's acceleration and braking, now get over there".
    • Hurray to derailing when reversing through an incorrectly set point (trailing-point movement, I looked it up). I guess the fact of derailing, let alone its animation, isn't realistic, but I prefer that to all the times in the past that points casually auto-corrected without even a score penalty (though I did read just now that in real life there are types of points that are not damaged).
    • I hate the return of the tunnel lock. When any part of the train is in the tunnel, the only view is the (dark) cab view.
    • You get the "press E key to sit down" interaction when trying to press the buttons operating the cab door, but all it takes it to move closer.
    • Boooh to the dino collectibles. Up to now, collecting beautifies the scenery (putting signs or posters on a blank slate, mending fences…). Here you're supposed to take away cute scenery and lose it forever. That's not going to happen.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  21. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Thanks for all your feedback thus far. Will share with Jasper_Rivet as well so he can see it.

Also +1 for all the dino plushie pics :love:

• Like Like x 6
  22. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

This is quite normal practice in British signalling, especially at places like low speed loops. Distant sempahore signals are sometimes fixed permanently at caution, or even where they are worked (i.e. operational) they are usually left at caution anyway. Fixed distants can save on maintenance costs, as well as protecting signaller's backs from what could sometimes be a very difficult lever pull!

• Helpful Helpful x 7
  23. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Really impressed with this DLC. A real step-up from rivets previous releases; hopefully West Cornwall gets this sort of treatment!

Few bits I’ve noticed;
    • No AWS ramps present on the route? (Unsure if there are any IRL but would assume so since the upgrade?)

• TPWS Isolation should be in the ‘normal’ position by default i believe. The switch is only used to isolate the TPWS temporarily where required. Would of thought the proper isolation would be on the panel with the cut-out switches, so shouldn’t have to touch the temp-isolation switch at all!

• Opening cab doors & guard panels with a Master Key instead of T-Key? A minor detail but bugs me a lot!

• Some third-rail seems to be present over crossings?

Just a few minor bits I’ve noticed, but other than that it’s a great DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  24. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

The Mastery Level 1 does not work, you can set the walking objective, however the timetable objective is not recorded in the Mastery database

• Like Like x 1
  25. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

A few other things to add

The sounds in the cab of the 484 are loud! Perhaps the occlusion levels need adjusting. Both the noise of the brake release, and external environmental sounds are the same volume inside and outside the cab. There's a fairly loud audible click when you go past colour light signals which can also be heard inside the train. I also drove the unit on ECW at 60mph and there's a bad loop to the motor sound once you get above 50mph.

Some of the semaphore distants show yellow glows when they're off instead of green.

The sunblind in the cabs cannot be seen when they're down from the outside. I think that's a LOD issue.

The reverser handle rotates the wrong way. It should go from off, reverse, neutral, forward if it's anything like other stock with a rotating switch.

Are the 484s really that quick? I thought it was fast in N4 then realised it goes up to N7!

26. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

See, I always had an issue with Rivet on this. All the way back to Arosa, The ibex, just like the dinosaur, you're picking stuff up that is then removed. Snow globes and ice cream at least some is left behind, but surely in both those cases it would make FAR more sense to have you restocking empty food and souvenir stands, no?

• Like Like x 2
  27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I prefer this sort of stuff being removed.

I’d rather not have my routes littered with children’s toys.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I prefer it to be removed as well. One of the most irritating things to me is on the old IOW route, having Polaroid cameras littering the stations. It was amusing for about 2 minutes, now they just annoy me.

29. matinakbary

I really like this idea! Not removed, but replaced :)

30. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

DRA is broken, lovely route and train.

31. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Having heard the sounds, they are just not accurate. The good sounds are there but there is almost a 'static' sound that ruins it. If they removed it the train would sound largely good but at the moment it's not there. Additionally at higher speeds it doesn't sound like a 484 much, bearing more similarity to a Mark 3 EMU.

32. alexjjones6024

No sparks in a Snow storm, whether you speed off, brake abruptly or head via points, there is nothing. I'm sure someone had footage confirming they spark in these instances.?

Jasper_Rivet the sound is there, no sparks in the above weather..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  33. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Im sure I had sparks on the snow storm scenario, I'll re run it and confirm at some point. Out of interest was this a service or a scenario that you noticed the lack of them (not sure if that makes a difference)

34. alexjjones6024

Oh right I see, I just got sounds and used a pan camera so I could check both sides at the same time. I only ever run service modes, hope it helps.

35. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Could be that we are both right and they are only present in scenarios as that's where I'm 90% I saw them, not done a service in the snow yet.

• Like Like x 1
  36. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

So here my feedback on the "expected" class 484. The biggest surprise for me is, that Rivet actually made the effort to produce not just a loco addon, but instead a whole "new" iow route with the changes related to the 484. The Route looks good and makes the entire dlc worth a buy in my opinion.

The class 484 has finally a touch of a complete emu, rather than only the bare minimum of implemented features. After activating the safety systems, the dra worked without problem, Also i think its coming up to the top 3 of best modeled bogies in TSW, with the way they look and the details like piping and cables. (The only missing "relevant" feature is sanding, at least the buttons didnt work for me)

Noticeable bugs is for me the missing driver, which was mentioned somewhere in this thread. Im happy with this dlc overall, but still have some criticism about the sound (The unit seems to be equipped with TSA traction motors during the refurbishment):
    - If you hear a class 484 depart, the traction sounds are out of 2 very noticeable "events /sounds", first the high frequent noise, and second the much deeper noise after initial acceleration. Second one is missing entirely, which is part of the trains "sound characteristic"
    - When nether applying power nor regenerative braking, but the train starts to roll on a gradient, there shouldnt be any traction sounds from the motors, the Railpool 185 has the same error (That its still broken is another highly disappointing story...).

So yeah Rivet, great work, and if you sort out the sound issues & bugs the quick way, customers will trust you again!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. meridian#2659

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. meridian#2659

Found a nice spot at brading ;). Nice details Rivet, always happy to see things like that.

TSW2_Meridian_1658598238_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1658598247_00.png

• Like Like x 4
  39. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

really liking the signal boxes you can go into on the various routes recently, would be nice to add a stationmaster's office too and a few footbridges over the lines you can stand and view from. These add to the things to do other than driving the trains.

Also plus 1 for a Valenta HST.

40. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

This would be a good route to trial signalman mode, not too many block bell codes to remember!

• Like Like x 2
  41. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Well-Known Member

Any chance the op can change the thread title to IoW because it's only the Iofw when you're there on holiday and it never stops raining :)

42. matinakbary

As far as I know from the streams, sanding is done automatically. There is no way the engineer can manually use the sander on the 484.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. meridian#2659

thx, didnt know that ;).

• Like Like x 1
  44. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Am i right in thinking pressing the "I" key on this train does NOT illuminate the gauges as it should?

45. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Next to the gauges, there is a rheostat button to move

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Great unit and fine update to the route.
    My 2 top bugs:
    Cab sway - there seems to be none at all (my setting at 50%) which does detract from the immersion.
    Passengers - they don’t seem too interested in boarding, and some fall through scenery or are on an invisible step.

• Like Like x 1
  47. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I had one of the passenger who when the station(shanklin) I believe was built unfortunately got concreted into it from the waist up. I am not sure if he is there in real life but worth highlighting for the trip hazard

• Like Like x 3
  48. leonmassama

leonmassama New Member

Control+i does the trick

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  49. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

How is the RailDriver implementation? Do you still need 4 Buttons to control the doors? Is it possible to accelerate smooth or are the steps way to close together and you yank the train like a rookie all the time? :)

50. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

DRA has worked fine for me so far. Although, you have to unisolate the safety systems, namely the 'DRAIS' switch for the DRA to work. Or have you encountered a separate bug? Have to agree, the 484 is brilliant - one of my top three rolling stock DLC.