Out Now Train Sim World 2 - Island Line 2022 : Br Class 484 Out Now!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Jul 19, 2022.

1. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Good point. It was me that asked on the stream and I did think it strange about the Union Jack but it might be the design as a whole is copyright, not the flag itself. It’s a pity though as they do look terribly plain. I wonder if anyone has actually contacted Hovertravel about it. The reply in the stream did suggest that they had not.

Still, it’s better than no hovercraft at all as in the previous release.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I read about something like this a while ago, a shop had put a union flag above it's door but the council were trying to have it removed. Because the design of the Union flag did not have 4 corners it was deemed as advertising but if it had 4 corners like a flag it was OK, it was really petty.

Was the Union Jack on the hovercraft a normal flag? If so then it should be alright surely.

3. junior hornet

upload_2022-7-20_16-48-41.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. dhekelian

That looks so cool, I hope someone asks them why. It looks like a wavy flag so might get away with it. Lets hope someone can mod it. No doubt if someone created it in the livery designer and shared it DTG would come along with it's size 9 boots......

5. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

For collectibles, I couldn't find the blueprints. There are 10 to find!
    Rivet would he have forgotten to put locations.
    Still, there are empty arrays, but nothing happens?
    Has anyone been able to put them?

6. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

This route looks great 28d9f339-ee3b-460a-bbb7-ad67a5d2af3d.jpeg.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

The American flag is in the public domain.

8. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the route maps?(collectables) Then yes someone clearly forgot to place them.
    But there are
    10 Dinosaur Plushies(Found)
    10 Yacht Captain Hats(Found)
    10 Posters(Found)
    10 Route Maps(MIA)???

How does someone forget the most obvious thing any route should have on it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

You save around 2-3$ for the preorder discount which isn't much to get excited about.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Works out that every 11th 24.99 DLC is free, so..

Plus on PSN you can stack up with ShopTo PSN top ups, which when coupled up make a pretty significant discount.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Union Flag/Jack isn't tbh

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jeannot41

I agree with you, route maps cannot be found. However, there are locations.

13. MrSouthernDriver

MrSouthernDriver Well-Known Member

it seems almost like rivet are finally moving forward, but we will have to see when they release their next route. I also like the fact they have mentioned they will improve the sounds of the 150/2, which is also good news.

I hope rivet carry this on for their future DLCs

14. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

unless the creator of the flag (flag created 1801) lived till around aged 150 and they created it on there day of birth (aged 0), then any copyright protections have long since expired and is in effect public domain

• Like Like x 1
  15. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Already on livery designer then??

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just to clarify, I believe Rivet have committed to improving the physics for the 150/2 - Audio is being investigated, but not confirmed yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Both Audio and physics are a linked issue.

Once the physics are fixed, the audio should match what’s happening with the engine, which is what most people are saying.

I must say that I have been critical of people attacking DTG & Rivet, because of the way they have expressed themselves.

However, the overall lack of knowledge & understanding behind one of the UK’s most notable MU’s, and the underlying issues with its current state, is becoming quite tiring to see from yourselves and Rivet.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

Was the first thing i did after i got it :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

If the flag is Crown Copyright, like most government works in Britain, then the copyright never expires.

However, I'm pretty sure it's public domain. The issue rather is whether its deployment on the hydrofoil is a sufficiently "new" design to merit copyright (or more likely trademark) protection, e.g. British Airways' tail flash.

20. J.T.

J.T. Active Member

So it goes like this: The Island Line doesn't use the AWS system at all and the TPWS system will only work if we pass a signal at danger (although no one has demonstrated it working)? TPWS clearly does not provide a form of overspeed protection - reviewers presenting the game don't care about any regulations, they notoriously exceed the speed limit and nothing happens.

I'm interested in this DLC because I like the relaxed atmosphere of branch lines. It seems to have a lot of cool elements. First of all, the sound, which seems very realistic. But also such a small detail as a functional passenger information system (destination displays), which I really miss in BR Class 313 EMU Add-On.

It's just awfully hard to extract any concrete information from the available reviews and first look videos. Everyone seems to focus almost exclusively on scenery and collecting plush dinosaurs but somehow not very interested in the operational matters of driving a train. We are very different from the flight-sim community :(

No one has noticed that passengers are crowding to wait at Smallbrook Junction even when trains pass there without stopping - the next train won't stop at Smallbrook Junction until 20 hours from now, but the platform is full of waiting passengers. Nor that on the narrow platforms passengers clearly have trouble boarding trains, or moving at all. But the issue of the lack of a flag on the hovercraft that is part of the scenery comes to the fore :/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Nonsensical passenger behavior is a core TSW problem,, and there's no point criticizing one specific DLC for it.

• Like Like x 11
  22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

What I've seen of the reviews so far has not convinced me this is worth a full £14.99 purchase. The 484 looks to accelerate like a rocket and there is not much electrothrash. Fine if this was a longer or more intricate route but I couldn't really see me doing more than a couple of round trips before getting bored. For all its warts, Spirit Of Steam is actually holding my interest as are the other regulars such as NTP or Chemnitz.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Other than the acceleration issues, the train is exceptionally modeled and feels great to drive. There are great details from the door operation to the fact that you can raise and lower the seat, and it changes your camera height when sitting. The route also has a lot of clutter along it which I hope is used more often in future routes - it makes it feel more lived in and less sterile.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. redrev1917

I'm still trying to decipher where this sits in my collection. Its not really a commuter route like say BKL or Harlem as the line speeds are too low and station stops to spread out. But it's not a preserved route speed either.
    Either way it's holding my interest more than I thought it would and I've no regrets in my purchase.

• Like Like x 4
  25. dhekelian

aren't most flags Public Domain. I mean you can buy flags from a lot of companies nowadays and seem to be at the same price, if there were copyright flags then surely they would be more expensive no?

I'm sure it is public Domain as well. I think the way they try to protect 'their' design is showing it isn't a flag, e.g BA tail flash but where it has four corner like the hovercraft one I'm not sure. Seems OK to me.

• Like Like x 1
  26. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Does this DLC add another tile to choose from in the main menu or is the IOW really replaced?

27. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I don’t have the original IOW, however the new route is called IOW2022 and is treated as it’s own separate route.

It does not replace anything.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

So how is this route based on your opinions? I'm still on the fence here about this DLC.
    So far I have heard some praise and then some negatives as well. I'm a bit torn right now.

But based on reviews and videos it seems like Rivet did a great job with the old D-Stock (Class 484) trains.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Please refer to the product page here, because there might be updates on the manual: https://www.rivet-games.com/product/island-line-class-484/

Thanks for the feedback on the horn/whistle, I'll forward this to our devs! The safety systems are fully implemented and working. ^^

I just wanted to say a big thanks in general for all the positive feedback we've received - it's lovely!
    A few notes:
    • Re lights being wrong on trains: I can't reproduce this, I think it has been fixed in my devbuild already. Will doublecheck though.
    • Re Union Jack on the hovercrafts: It's missing due to licensing, because the flag is quite a bit "stylized" on there.
    • Re missing routemaps: We're aware of this, it has been fixed and will hopefully go live soon!

• Like Like x 10
  30. mooredean1978

mooredean1978 Active Member

I'm enjoying the 484 as well especially as it's an old District Line D - 78 stock. How can you drive the 384 with the cab door open as the train won't move unless i close the cab door

31. SHINO BAZ

Probably the same way you could drive the br 483 with all the doors open.Discout AC system i guess.Or when you reach stop jump.

32. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well Jasper credit is due when things are done right.

I've been a vocal anti-Rivet person on these forums but kudos on a job well done. This is the first DLC of Rivets I have bought since Arosa.

But this is a magnificent job by your team and you may have just won me back.

So thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  33. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Beautiful route. Very cool to play it through after spending so much time on 1.0 and seeing all the little changes.

• Like Like x 1
  34. SHINO BAZ

So rivet games couldn't get the license for the br 484 island line livery so they made there own which fine for now.

But

They also couldn't get the livery license for the union jack style hovercraft livery,so why didn't they just make there own instead of leaving it plain white with a dash of blue,surely they could have dressed it up with something decorative.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  35. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

They actually said the reason why they left it white was they didn't know if they needed the licence for it so they left it white instead of doing the Union Flag on them.

Hentis

36. dhekelian

I know this might seem over the top and unreasonable but why didn't they ask them?

37. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I can’t see how the Union Jack would violate a license - it’s our national flag. In any event, just do a stylised version like the BA Chatham Dockyard livery.

Plain white just looks like an untextured model - especially from a distance.

• Like Like x 1
  38. dhekelian

I can't either. I think it boils down to whether it is a flag (four corners) or a design. Looking at the Hovercraft it looks like a wavy flag, not sure if you can copyright a wavy flag, :) but like you say they could of done a stylised Union Jack. It is almost like they didn't want to do a 'Union Jack)?

• Like Like x 1
  39. redrev1917

Well Rivet are Scottish and theres the whole Indy2 up there.

40. dhekelian

Not all Scots are in favour of Indy2 but then if a business is going to put petty politics in front being commercial more fool them.

41. Jeannot41

The flag, I don't care.
    I would especially like them to repair collectables and Mastery.

42. junior hornet

And achievements.

43. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

Actually, not quite correct. The hovercrafts where plain white before they got their flag design, that's another reason why it's blue/white. But yeah, we weren't sure on the stylized Union Jack design.

Regarding the missing route maps collectables: These are fixed on our end and with Dovetails QA now. Should be live soon!

• Like Like x 7
  44. dhekelian

Did you ask the Hovercraft company about the Union flag?

45. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Only achievements are 1 way for me to buy the route, not to much dificult to add achievements, halo master collection have more than 800.

46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

There appears to be some confusion about the design on the hovercraft. The design on the hovercraft is bespoke artwork based on the Union Flag. It is not just picture of the flag. This design is protected under all the normal protections for artworks and therefore can’t be reproduced without permission. Everybody needs to understand that DTG and Rivet can’t just go copying designs for things in their routes.

As to why Rivet didn’t ask for permission, well that is probably because they had more important things to do. Why isn’t anyone posting similar things about the buses on the route? All vehicles other than trains are depicted this way as standard in TSW and I can’t see it being a priority in the big scheme of things to go chasing for permissions for branded vehicles as scenery items.

When DTG did make something with a real logo on it, a Pringles vending machine, everyone went bonkers with criticism about it. Having an artist’s impression of the train livery in the game because they couldn’t get the real livery is different to the hovercraft because it is the focus of the route. It’s a train simulator, it has a design for the train and it has a plain white hovercraft.

• Like Like x 5
  47. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

From time to time these kinds of omissions are going to happen in TSW and we'll have to learn to live with them.

This is different from TSC, where one of it's many bright sparks would have already created and published the correct livery and logos for the route and made them available for download from one of the fan websites.
    Why that difference exists remains a fundamental mystery to those who play both.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  48. redrev1917

If only it was as easy as picking up the phone and saying "hello, you do mind if we use your design in a rail sim", theres legal fees and time involved in getting permission to use designs in game. Id guess the time and money it would have taken to even request permission would have pushed this over budget.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Irish Train sim

Irish Train sim Well-Known Member

A train sim and people are bothered about a hovercraft…. Laughable really…

• Like Like x 10
  50. junior hornet

I’m confused by this. They were not allowed to use the proper livery on the train but they did so on the plant pots. Someone suggested that this was because the plant pots were static.

By the same argument, the hovercraft are static so this shouldn’t be a problem surely?

• Like Like x 1