Class 484 Brakes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Jul 22, 2022.

1. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I thought I'd bring this up, but I've found the brakes on the 484 to be dreadfully sluggish.
    One time I overran Lake by more or less a whole train length (2 cars) from 20mph in full service brake!
    Does anyone who has experience with this train know if this is accurate, or if it's one of Rivet's notorius physics problems.
    Other than that and the slow scrolling desto, the route is fantastic!

2. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with those units per say, but this does sound very odd.
    As a very very minimum of 0.10g braking ability this should only take about 9 seconds but I am confident they could achieve 0.12 - 0.13g braking in actual service if they needed to.

3. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

However, remember that one direction into lake is a very steep downhill gradient so it could be this that’s the issue?

4. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

train sims always get me with how they do the brakes physics.

you are slowing down for a stop in a lightweight DMU or EMU, think your going to overshoot the platform, so you slam it into emergency braking position, and it just carries on gently slowing down, almost as if it's calculated where it'll stop now, and changing the brake setting dosen't change that under a certain speed.

in real life the wheels lock up and you judder / slide / screech to a stop (depending on speed, i recall being on the class 101's from nottingham to skegness, at the dead end platform 3 at grantham, the driver would wang the brake lever all the way over when doing about 10mph, and it'd stop in a few feet, screeching as it flattened the wheels a bit, then your neck almost snapped from the whiplash)

5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

My experience with the brakes on the 484 seems to be slightly different. When I first started running this route, I was stopping too soon at stations, even with light brake force. As I play it more am getting more in tune with its application force.

6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Yes, me too. I learned at these low speeds, you can just coast into the stations and apply the brakes just as you reach the beginning of the platform.

I do find that the acceleration of this train is very fast, just in notches 1 and 2. I suppose that's a legacy of they're having been subway trains in a prior life.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  7. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I've just had the same problem, in the tutorial it says it using dynamic brakes. When I started to brake the brake pressure gauge didn't move at all, and dynbrakes acts slower as the speed decrease.

Edit: around 10-15 mph airbrakes start to work gradually.
    So when you reach stop point calculate at least 2-3 extra seconds till the brakes start to work efficiently.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  8. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

The brakes don't feel quite right going on an uphill gradient. I am used to how 1972 stock feels, but 484 seems to need 200 km to slow down before you approach. They feel great at speeds lower than 20 mph.

9. Kitten

Kitten Active Member

There's something in the notch design that it it skips over notch 1 quite quickly as well. The train has a familar lurch when going from stationary to notch 2, so I suspect it's intentional.