Ad Boards Trying To Get Me To Join The Army?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mr.shiiba, Jul 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Calling people Snowflakes, weather singularly or broadly, is usually instigative. To be fair, I find the term to be quite amusing.

What was even more amusing though was the whole “don’t like it report me” followed by a report and a warning as a result.

I think given the above, we can all see that in this particular instance, the term was indeed used to instigate.

Also, I don’t get the whole means something different in the US, since all of US Twitter politics amounts to nothing but people calling others snowflakes during arguments, I think it’s quite clearly used in an attempt to offend people.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually my missus called me one on our walk this afternoon. Can't recall the context but I laughed with some degree of irony and recalled the story of this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OldVern

No it wasn't. As with many people it's an everyday part of my vocabulary and see my post above.

Anyway suggest we leave it there rather than invoke the wrath of the moderators and return to discussing the wisdom or otherwise of TSW featuring adverts for the UK armed services. I suppose a WWI era route could have posters of Lord Kitchener, "Your Country Needs You", failing to inform recruits that life expectancy going over the top was probably less than two minutes and if you quailed in the face of the enemy, you got a perfunctory court martial before being taken out and shot.

• Like Like x 3
  4. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

How is it instigative? Calling someone a snowflake is different from cursing someone out. My girlfriend called me a snowflake this morning actually and I have said it many times hence why I am just confused. Many people use the word as well.

If some people are that offended to be called a snowflake, then they must have some really tough experiences in life or some serious problems in their life. I guess some people can be really sensitIve

• Like Like x 3
  5. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yes on topic, I have seen many an armed forces recruitment advertisement and I am yet to find myself in the armed forces.

Also it’s 2022, I think most children are aware of the armed forces long before learning about them in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

My girlfriend has often called me a few choice words too (the last few years as a result of some of the conversations I get involved in here), doesn’t mean I run around calling others that.

Anyway, my interest in that whole thing has died with this comment.

7. tallboy7648

Perhaps historic german routes during the nazi era could have nazi advertising to join the german army. Maybe we will see advertisements in American routes to join the army or the police. In the NYC subway system, I've seen ads on the train trying to get people to join the Baltimore Police Department or the D.C metro police which i found odd actually. You would find similar ads on the buses as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tallboy7648

I wouldn't count it as a choice word. It's not a bad word at all

• Like Like x 1
  9. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Vern, you were shot on the spot for failing to leave the trenches or didn't advance towards the enemy during an attack.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

A snowflake melts under any heat or pressure, so in the UK at least is used as a derogatory term for someone (usually a millenial) who can't handle anything that may be uncomfortable (for them or others) or takes offence easily (for themselves or others)

That would be illegal... Broadcast or online adverts for political parties are generally restricted so the only broadcasts allowed are "party political broadcasts" and they're heavily regulated
    That and the only people who know get to choose who's the next PM are members of the conservative party anyway so it would be kinda pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Not sure how anyone can call the UK military as a defensive / peacekeeping force when it is practically a branch of the US military but it appears the country continues to follow the US in its rightward shift.

12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Most "snowflakes" I know wear the badge with pride and it is in no way the derogatory term people think it is. I often hear the phase Id rather be a woke snowflake then a gammon for instance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Well as we are all part of NATO, a defensive alliance. Which has kept the peace for the last 72 years in Western Europe. I would say that was quite a peace keeping force, which includes all three of the UK's armed forces.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There is a lot I wish to say about the U.S. military and its complicit allies but I must refrain because I think this is an inappropriate forum for such a discussion. That and I mustn't speak too ill of the "defense" agencies lest I accidentally suicide myself with a marksman's rifle from 200m away.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  15. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

It's an ad mate

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

This whole thread reminds me of a Simpsons episode

Yvan eht nioj

• Like Like x 4
  17. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I commented in another thread on this forum becoming akin to chinese water torture - here is another example. Reminds me of a 'big-ender' versus 'little-ender fight. Get a grip folks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

The armed forces provide an excellent opportunity, particularly for those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to make a career for themselves. The armed forces teach young men and women how to look after themselves and each other, they will pay for your education if you want to gain qualifications and afterwards provide one of the best pensions in the UK.

Obviously in war it comes with a greater risk but in peacetime, there are far more dangerous jobs you can do. Particularly compared to the airforce.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tallboy7648

Perhaps the British should harden their feelings so to speak. It shouldn't be a derogatory term in my opinion

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

so you are saying people who think snowflake is offensive should stop...being snowflakes?

• Like Like x 4
  21. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

But, unless we get involved in some large war with Russia, it's a choice...

I don't see the issue really. CITV had adverts that weren't appropriate for children, Thomas The Tank Engine could be terrifying (not so much anymore since it's been watered down by Evil Inc Mattel) and TSW has never been explicitly positioned as a child's game.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  22. tallboy7648

Im saying that it shouldn't be a derogatory term and offend people if you read what I wrote

• Like Like x 2
  23. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

If I were to interview a 100 or so 90 year olds now and ask him / her / they how they might have refered to a person from an ethnic minority circa 1940 we would all be shocked at the reference material that would come out from such a survey.

It's your just a little behind the curve which is fine, but you may find your opinion changes with time on this one or you might just stay with it forever.

The world is moving very fast. Not everyone wants or is willing to keep up, but lines do have to be drawn somewhere and I think the mods got it right today.

• Like Like x 2
  24. gtatransitguy#9439

gtatransitguy#9439 New Member

Wow this thread escalated…

If the Air Force advertisement really offends anyone, don’t see how hard it is to opt-out of the real life advertisements??

You opted-in to the real life ads, you should expect to see real life ads like the Air Force one

• Like Like x 1
  25. gtatransitguy#9439

gtatransitguy#9439 New Member

I have no issue with either the Military or LGBTQ. I think my original replies were just misinterpreted

im just mentioning the fact that OP said this stuff is being advertised to children.

In my opinion, I don’t think either the military or LGBTQ should be pushed onto children. I will respect others opinions regardless if I don’t agree with them or not.

• Like Like x 2
  26. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

hang on, this 'children's game' encourages you to walk on running railway tracks to hunt for collectables / points.

• Like Like x 9
  27. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

actually that is why the hud goes red when you are walking on the tracks, it is meant as a warning you shouldn't really be there.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Lol at all this.

29. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

But explicitly comes with a disclaimer about doing so.

• Like Like x 2
  30. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Yup.............

31. tallboy7648

Your point is moot. There's a disclaimer and a red circle in the game for that reason

32. tallboy7648

Im not behind the curve at all. Im just not as sensitive as some people and where I come from, "snowflake" is not an offensive word

• Like Like x 2
  33. gazz292

gazz292 Well-Known Member

so the disclaimer when starting the game about not copying what you do/see in the game in real life should cover adverts asking people to consider a career in the RAF?

• Like Like x 1
  34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

This thread has taken an interesting turn since I last checked it.

35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I assume they need to pull them off the tv too now . I mean who needs more troops when defence spending is going up to 2.5% gdp, there's more hostility with Russia than ever , the office for national statistics reports a 50 year high of job a at 1.293million currently, unemployment is an all time low of circa 3.7% and out of a workforce of 32.6 million only another 3.7million are actively looking for work.

Silly adverts trying to offer a career to younger players who may not know what to do with their life eh
    :D:D

I think I'm in the minority here as I don't get the problem with real life adverts. On this game I like them as they portray something realistic and I drive past them or walk past them at a station as opposed to procrastinating about originality, reality, meaning and whether
    I want to join the them. I honestly don't give two hoots about them and there's nothing in the game you can't see anywhere else.i cannot stand the awful non licensed ones we had for ages

That said, YouTube adverts and adverts when I'm reading the news. Don't even get me started as I'll agree with you all day then about tripe being peddled at you

• Like Like x 3
  36. Skyz2020

Yes indeed.

Think we need to give the OP and indeed all people sub 25 in age a welcoming reception here on the forums. After all they are the future of this gaming franchise (I think the OP is 18 from memory).

The more 18 - 25s we can get pumped about this game the better, referring to their generation as the s word from earlier isn't great.

As someone who nestles between 36 - 49 age range (young gen x or older mill) we tend to drift out of gaming at this age range to concentrate on other facets of life, so for me getting this younger generation onboard in a friendly way is crucial.

"Passing the baton on" I think is the expression

P.S here is a general guide to the most common phrases of reference to someone's birth year:

Gen Z, iGen, or Centennials: Born 1996 – 2015.
    Millennials or Gen Y: Born 1977 – 1995.
    Generation X: Born 1965 – 1976.
    Baby Boomers: Born 1946 – 1964.
    Traditionalists or Silent Generation: Born 1945 and before.

37. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I hadn’t seen the advert as I’m on PS5 but after seeing it in this thread I have enrolled all my kids in the RAF. The power of advertising. They may protest but a mouthful of Pringles will keep them quiet until I drop them of at the recruitment office. It’s all they will eat now after seeing me read other threads on the forum. My daughter wants to fire a steam engine but she’ll have to wait until after the war now.

*I don’t have kids, I saw an advert for condoms once and I can’t stop using them. I’d rather have a bowl of Coco Pops.

• Like Like x 9
  38. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Best comment yet…. Thanks for making my day

39. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

As to the topic of advertising for the military, I applaud the ad. Spent 22 years sailing ships around the world, learned leadership and helped train the future officer corp. I think everyone should have a few years of military service if to do nothing more than cutting the apron strings.

But you also have the option to ignore ad, as I ignore so much of the “woke” crap that is constantly being thrusted in the modern media …

Have a great day…

• Like Like x 4
  40. redrev1917

What I'm taking from this is that we shouldn't/can't ignore female fireman and rainbow containers. But we should ignore adverts in game.

Gotcha

• Like Like x 6
  41. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

LMAO, another troll thread just to trigger some peoples. *sigh*

42. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

No matter how many times I and others plus the moderators ask people not to feed the trolls, they just can't help themselves.
    Unfortunately trolling threads can bring out the worst in people, which this one has certainly accomplished.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Too late, I've joined the navy!

• Like Like x 1
  44. The_Drunken_Engineer

The_Drunken_Engineer Well-Known Member

IT'S CURRENT YEAR!!!!!! (not exactly an argument especially when you're using it to bash someone)

• Like Like x 1
  45. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Nuclear winter is coming, and there's going to be a need for some cannon fodder. What better place to reach out to the aimless youth than a train simulator? :D

And an arm and a leg if they get "unlucky" and there's a real shooting war. Oh well, the military made me the man I am today and all that...

46. redrev1917

The biggest issue I have with the armed services is that they train you to be a killing machine then kick you out into civvy street with no support at the end of your service.

I've lost mates who just couldn't adjust back either through drugs or suicide.

• Like Like x 3
  47. tallboy7648

I think the criticisms of the military ads in my view represent a wider problem with these bidstack ads when they were first introduced.

When the bidstack ads were first introduced, there was criticism particularly on the BKL because there were coca-cola ads on the route when in reality, there are no coca-cola ads on the London Underground. DTG did say that they listened to feedback and would improve in this area. I think a train simulator would be the last place some would expect to see military adverts.

Whilst these ads can be turned off, I think DTG should try to implement real life ads that are authentic to the route (ads that would be seen on the route in real life) rather than slapping random real life ads all over the place just for the sake of doing so. Yes some players wanted to see real life ads in the routes, but judging by what some have said when these bidstack ads were first introduced a while ago, some don't want to see real life ads placed wherever just for the sake of putting it in the route as referenced by what happened when this system was first introduced. Hopefully when this system is introduced on consoles, we can have ads that would be seen in the routes they are placed on be the ones that are there in real life rather than just random real life ads being placed wherever because personally for me if this is introduced on consoles and if it will continue to be like this then I will just have it off. I like the idea of real ads but they should be authentic in my opinion and if they cant do that then the fake ads will have to do for me then.

Real life ads were a good idea but were not well executed so far from what I can see

48. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

I find the whole ad-thing cynical and something that "belongs" in a free-to-play game instead. Just because it can be turned off doesn't make it less of a bad idea. TBH, I haven't played TSW much lately, but I think they had added these big billboards on the side of the track (pretty much in the middle of nowhere IIRC) on Sand Patch that weren't there before? "Good" to see they have time to add such things, of all things.

I wouldn't even consider myself anti-military, just tired of the irresponsible glorification of military (and thus war) and the tired "boyz 2 men" trope. Too "Starship Troopers" for me I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  49. OldVern

Starship Troopers…now that’s a movie, “Service guarantees citizenship”.

Actually this thread has been one of the best on the forum in a while, covering all sorts of topics. Hopefully it will be allowed to run, in a civilised manner anyway. If Bidstack has achieved anything for DTG it’s got people talking and probably now looking out for these boards whereas before, nah. Though with hindsight they probably wish they had told the provider to stick with advertising Coca Cola or baked beans maybe!

• Like Like x 3
  50. Skyz2020

Agree with oldvern it's been a great debate and I hope it makes it to page 3 so this debate can continue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.