Just Train Add On Crashing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hurley40, Jun 7, 2022.

1. hurley40

hurley40 New Member

Has anyone had a problem with there add ons. I have several already. I purchased western mainlines. But it crashes on loading after 10 to 20 seconds. I put in a ticket to them but thhey have not responded. I have tried everything i can think of. I just dont know what i can do now. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I have several JT products, mainly routes and I have had no issues with any of them. Are you running TS in 32bit or 64bit?

3. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I have Western Mainline and all the extensions and have never had crashes with it, but then I never get oom's in play mode only ever occasional ones in the editor, possibly because I don't hoarde Workshop scenarios idk.

4. hurley40

hurley40 New Member

I am running in 64 bit. I dont get any error messages. Just the loading bar for short time then in crashes to the desktop. I have other jt scenarios no problem with them. Its odd just this one.

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Weird. I'd just wait and see what JT suggest, as it could be anything. They'll probably ask for a log file of some kind to analyse what is causing the crash.

6. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I have the basic Western Mainlines and tried to open it the other evening to create a scenario, in 64 bit version. Wouldn’t open, didn’t even get the little scrolling bar thing at the bottom of the screen.

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Try a Quick Drive with a DTG route first - just for a few mins then try the JT Route

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

It's because JT have a pretty messy way of distributing their shared files. Unlike DTG, who have a clean modular approach, distinguishing between packages and apps.

The SWEX installed an empty Mk1CoachAssets.ap even though these coaches are not used on this route, and killed my Kyle Line coaches this way. This has been addressed, also the CommonLibrary has been unified for all routes and single-filed in the latest DTG patch. While this is fine - if you have a mix of Steam-distributed JT routes and JT-direct purchases you could for example now have more leftovers in the JustTrains\CommonLibrary folder which could cause a crash. For crashes of this kind the workaround is to start TS with the -DisableFastload option. Fix is to remove everything that is not already contained in the CommonLibraryAssets.ap from that folder. Just one example.

Really depends what JT stuff you have in which combination and installation order. Some constellations work fine - some crash. Fixing is always possible with a bit of knowledge, by cleaning up the asset folders.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2022
  9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Just Trains support team are brilliant, if you have still no success, I am sure they will eventually respond and help you.

10. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Is it the route crashing or just ONE scenario loading that is crashing?
    Which scenario?
    Can you run any other scenarios for that route?
    I have a couple of scenarios in that route that crash with OOM's at varying stages - reported to JT way back but never fixed.
    All other scenarios run fine - so the problem may be idiosyncratic!

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I am also doing file research on the routes. Over time I intend to find what files can be deleted on the JT installs for a clean run. It will take a lot of time, though.

12. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Did you get any answer to this? Im having the exact same problem.

On my old computer everything worked fine, upgraded to a new computer, did a fresh install of Train Simulator Classic and a fresh download of Western Mainlines from the Just trains site (with the latest updates) and im having the exact same problem in both 32 bit & 64 bit. Other Just Trains content works fine its just Western Mainlines that crashes to desktop during loading. Doesn't seem to matter if i try quick drive or free roam. Also dont have issues with other routes in the games. Just this one.

Close to giving up already with this game tbh, ran fine on my old computer, upgraded to a new one with a dedicated GFX card, more ram, faster cpu and yet i end up with no better graphics, low framerate on some routes and the gauges of trains are blurred despite having GFX set to "highest". Baffles me tbh.

13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Your blurred gauges are likely caused by the Depth Of Field setting. Turn it off in TS' GFX settings. It is only useful when making screenshots imho.

I'll see if I can help you on the Western Mainlines issue.

I need a filelist.

Open the command console (Press Windows+R then enter CMD)
    CD to the JT assets folder (by default "CD C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\JustTrains")

enter this command:
    Code:
    dir /s >%userprofile%\desktop\TS_Filelist.txt

The list will be on your desktop. Zip it and upload it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2022
  14. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Thank you for your response torfmeister.
    I played around with the graphics settings including your advice of turning off depth of field and managed to resolve my issues.

As for the advice on finding the list of filed i think i might be doing something wrong because i enter the CMD console, copy the code that you have posted and i get the response "The system cannot find the path specified"

I really appreciate the help you are offering, thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

15. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

There might be a space in your profile name, ok, so I need quotation marks for the output path.

You need to change the directory to the JT assets folder first. Try these two commands:

Code:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Assets\JustTrains"

then
    Code:
    dir /s >"%userprofile%\desktop\JT_filelist.txt"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2022
  16. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Sorry for the delayed response Torfmeister. Im still doing something wrong, for sure. I can get the first code to work but the second one displays as "Cannot find the path specified"

Since the previous reply i have opened a support ticket with Just Trains to see what they suggest and have found that most of the routes have this same problem.

Just Trains Chiltern Main Line - Standard mode - 1H35 Snowhill - Marleybone. CTD during loading on 64bit, Loads on 32 bit
    Just Trains London To Aylesbury - Standard Mode - 1C08 Aylesbury - Marleybone CTD during loading on both 32 & 64 bit
    Just Trains South Devon Mainline - Standard - 02.1E43 Plymouth to Low Fell RMT CTD during loading both 32bit & 64bit
    Just Trains South Western Expressways - Standard - 2M17 19:32 Westbury to Cheltenham CTD during loading on 64bit - 32bit loads
    Western Mainlines - Standard Mode - Early Morning Eastwards CTD during loading both 32 & 64 bit. (happened on previous version and the latest version)

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you have installed the new updates then they may be out of sequence.
    You have to remove the previous versions first

18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Let's wait what JT will say. It's been proven that the installation order makes the difference.

Other than that, it's tough fixing this not being at your PC. If there's interest, I could offer you a TeamViewer session to fix your assets. In preparation just make a backup of your JT assets and make sure you have 7zip installed.

19. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Perhaps hurley40 has gone to sleep waiting for JT support to answer. Peter Hayes has also asked what scenario is he trying to run. JT support is pretty quick at answering. We have a 12-hour time difference so If I put in a request in our evening 99% of the time I have a reply from them the next morning.

20. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Just to update you all. Had a response from Just Trains today, very quick in fact, very impressed. They say they had no idea what was going on as nobody has reported such an issue to them before. suggested to "Verify Integrity of local game files" in Steam, done multiple times still no joy.

Making sure Euro Loco & Assets are installed, which they are.

I personally uninstalled Western Mainlines again and installed the latest version, got this error message "Railworks registry entry not detected" So went through the following process to repair it, installed the Western Mainlines, verified integrity of local game files again and still no luck. https://support.justflight.com/supp...-was-not-detected-or-railworks-was-not-found-

Thing is it doesn't work in 32 or 64 bit, none of the scenarios on the route work, quick drive doesn't work, nothing. Other content works, the original DTG stuff works. Im lost.

Going to uninstall everything and redownload Train Sim Classic and see what happens. See you in about a months time...

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Good luck. Just Trains should probably be reading this forum. Cyclone and me have shown in various posts why Just Trains distributions can be very problematic when mixed with Steam JT content.

Take your time and reinstall JT content in the order of their release dates.

22. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

There is a fix on JTs site for the registry issue. 'Railworks Registry Entry Was Not Detected' Or 'Railworks Was Not Found' : The Spirit of Flight Simulation (justflight.com)

23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Your Train Sim Classic is not the problem - the Just Trains Add-ons are.
    Uninstall All parts of Western Main Lines the reinstall the latest versions and Check each one before adding the next.

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

25. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Soooooooooooooooooooo. Didn't you read his whole post that he had a registry issue with JTs Western Mainline route and JT/JF have a fix for it and I posted the link?

26. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Did you not read
    As you suggested the same link

27. trevkiwi

trevkiwi Active Member

Don't be so pedantic.

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Kettle - Pot

29. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Fresh install, still the same problem. Not sure if there is an answer to the problem tbh. Just dont get it. Works fine on the old Laptop, not on the new Laptop and theres no difference save for newer hardware in this one...?

I wish i could get the TS_Filelist.txt file for you Torfmeister but i cannot get the command prompt to work. Im really sorry.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  30. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Time to start looking outside of your TS install, have you downloaded and installed the latest updates for all your PC components ESPECIALLY Nvidia/AMD (delete as appropriate) graphics drivers?

31. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Don't be sorry. The list would show me what's wrong but then I'd need to rearrange your assets anyway.

The offer for a TeamViewer session is still valid.

32. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

MASSIVE BREAKTHROUGH!!
    I cant lie, i have no idea what im doing but i was looking through the Railworks folder and found something called "logmate", had no idea what this did but i click open, nothing happens. I click flush data and new log not really knowing what would happen and then opened the game..... CTD issue seems to be fixed. I exit the game, go back into it WITHOUT doing anything to "LogMate" and the CTD issue returns. So, i go back into "Log Mate" Flush data, New Log and reenter the game, CTD issue solved, the scenarios load as normal. Honestly have no idea what this does but it seems to fix the issue.

UPDATE
    Ok, so, the previous message about "LogMate", i think this might have been a coincidence, im sorry about this. I restarted the computer and reentered the game. CTD issue was still there, tried what i did with "LogMate" earlier, this didnt make a difference. However, this time i reentered the game, loaded a different route that loads as normal and then loaded a Western Mainlines scenario and the Western Mainlines scenario loaded as normal. I did this 3x and all 3 times the scenarios loaded IF i load a different route first.

Went back to it and did the above, now i get CTD again. Will upload the "LogMate" file incase it makes any sense to anyone. https://easyupload.io/eb1y52

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  33. marktucker224

marktucker224 New Member

Tried the game again just now, the scenarios loaded with no issue..... Im baffled. Included the Uploaded the "LogMate" file incase anyone can work out why the one above didnt work but this one did? https://easyupload.io/y1px1t

34. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Interesting, glad you found a way.

It has been proposed that it helps for some players running a DTG route first. While there is no obvious explanation why this does the trick, it seems to work for you.

I've been thinking about that. The only difference between DTG routes and others is the process of decrypting the DRM-protected DTG GeoPcDx model files. Maybe by having this process started at least once this does something internally which prevents certain crashes.

This is the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2022
  35. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The other explanation is that TSC routes/scenarios do not "give up" their VAS/RAM addresses immediately and this "forces" the JT code to use different VAS/RAM addresses and this time the loading does not cause an invalid page fault and the scenario runs fine.
    I have never found log mate to show anything conclusive as this error is instantaneous and acts "too quickly" for log mate to record it.
    Did view reliability history show any error?